Front sway bar bushings - Front end clunk - for those who have fixed it

SpeedProtege

:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
My '08 speed3 has 45k miles on it and has a solid sounding clunk on uneven bumps from the front end. I checked the sway bar links by hand, then with a pry bar, and made sure the nuts were tight.

Forum searching seems to suggest it is the bushings. I was swapping my summer wheels back on and tried prying between the sway bar and frame and did not get any movement.

If you have fixed/replaced the bushings was there any noticeable play to tell you it was bad or did you just R/R?

I hate to replace parts when I can't confirm they are bad.

Thanks,
Bryan

You're not going to get much movement in it with a prybar. Just change the bushings, they don't cost alot ($20-$30) depending where you get them, and about an hour and halfs labor. Just get a set of Prothane or Energy Suspension Urethane bushings.

If you have car on lift and reach over and get your hand on the bracket while someone is moving suspension you will be able to feel movement at the bracket.
Just replace them!

I bought the urethane bushings and had Mazda put them in. Cost was $125 for labor.That was about 40k miles ago and its back. But only in cold weather.

I bought the SURE bushings but they are back ordered- I really don't feel like modifying brackets - which appears to be required for the standard energy or prothane ones.

Can anybody confirm if there is another brand that is drop in other than OEM?

Bryan

For the record - went with OEM - Sure's were backordered for 3 weeks and mazda's were next day. $28.

I have access to a lift and did not need to drop the subframe - Removed the chassis brace for some extra clearance and used a combination of angled wrenches and a 1/4" drive ratchet.

You don't have access to get a torque wrench on the bolts though - so I got them as tight as I could with the 1/4" drive and used loctite.

Both bushings looked OK but clunk was gone afterwards.

Of course on my way home I hit a pot hole and dented my less than 2000 mile old Enkei. Sigh.

Back