Front splash guards (mud flaps) for a Grand Touring?

hurst_b

:
2013 Mazda5 Grand Touring
The factory Mazda splash guards are only for the sport models.
Has anyone found splash guards that work for the Touring and Grand Touring models that have the side sill extensions?

I'm sure you checked the Mazdausa accessories site already. Is your conclusion that they don't fit coming from the pics on that site? If so, you'll notice that the pic of the front splash guard shows it installed on a 1st generation Mz5. In other words, their pics don't mean a thing. I'd call the dealer parts department and see what they have to say. Make sure they stand behind the sale too.

Thanks for the advice. I will give them a call and see what they say.
I have checked the Mazda USA accessories website and they list the CC29-V3-450H for 2014-2010 models without side sill extensions.

Yeah... the factory flaps definitely won't fit with the side skirts. I've never seen a 5 that had both the side skirts and the mud flaps. I'll have to start hunting for a set myself since I have the skirts from another 5 that I'm going to install.

If you live where there is snow I would not recommend the splash guards. I had them on my 09 and they dragged on the snow when the rest of the car cleared. My right flap got patially torn out from normal driving so I removed them before any damage was done to my 5. Didn't keep the sides clean either.

DIY? I'd like to try to make a set out of truck splash guards but no idea where or what material is appropriate to use...

Subie (well, rally and rally-cross guys of all types) seem to like the silicon kitchen cutting boards. Tough and flexible at the same time.

Subie (well, rally and rally-cross guys of all types) seem to like the silicon kitchen cutting boards. Tough and flexible at the same time.
Thanks for the suggestion! Does silicon freeze? Is the silicone sturdy enough to hold shape while driving at HWY speeds or will the lip collapse due to air pressure? Do you have links on DIY with silicone or a particular product you can link me too? Thanks.

I can envision this to be pretty easy. Make template to the existing mounting hold on the fender liner. Silicon is somewhat pliable (hopefully not too pliable) so it can bend/contour as needed. Punch out holes and punch in eyelets to prevent tearing. May need longer mounting screws. I just need a good material that won’t break easily. Silicone sounds like a workable solution!

Funny: if you search silicon + freezing you get a bunch of implant questions... bazonga! :D

I've search in the past with no success but I think I just "found" it! Nyracord(R) Rubber is what I've been searching for! Available in .25 to .5" thick and not terribly expensive (24"x30"x.25" = $13.66) Woot!
http://www.zorotools.com/g/00108400/k-G1481024?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CLXrhOuZs7wCFWxp7AodxwwAbQ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion! Does silicon freeze? Is the silicone sturdy enough to hold shape while driving at HWY speeds or will the lip collapse due to air pressure? Do you have links on DIY with silicone or a particular product you can link me too? Thanks.

No specific links that I have in mind. If you search DIY mudflap on any of the WRX (www.nasioc.com is the big one)or EVO boards I guaranty you'll find a dozen writeups. IIRC the silicone/plastic cutting mats from Ikea are popular, as are 18-wheeler mudflaps bought from a truckstop (1 18-wheeler flap can make a set of 4 car flaps).

I trimmed a set of universal flaps to fit my 09 Touring, they drag on speed bumps all the time and frankly, I dont feel they keep the sides very clean. I personally wouldn't bother, they would have to be so big to work it would look ridiculous.

Back