Front Right Suspension Crunching

Benfolio said:
We have a fix!!!
Is there a revised TSB that will be published to dealerships? I just had mine in yesterday, and the parts are on order. Would like this to be fixed the correct way when the parts come in.

[QUOTE\]Also, regarding the hateful dashboard rattling/tapping, the service dealer explained that my dashboard is warped. I always noticed that on the top of my dashboard, near the windshield, there was a wave on the top portion of the shelf. Well, they looked at it and it seems as though, while they were poking and prodding, they made it a bit worse (the wave is larger). Well, they said the rattle and tapping was coming from there and they have ordered a WHOLE NEW DASHBOARD for me and are installing it this week. This sounds good, but the thing is that I am nervous that they won't do a proper job. I mean, it's a WHOLE DASHBOARD!!! Will they get all the cables connected right? Will all the light on the gauges and various controls work properly? Will they make the dash fit properly and perfectly and alligned perfectly? I'm very anal, and I worry about this. So, I'd like any advice I could receive from you guys. Should I let them do it? Or, should I live with this rattle for the rest of the car's life?[/QUOTE]

OK, so my dashboard was replaced and, overall, I guess, they did an OK job in putting it back together. Mind you, though, the annoying "tapping/popping" sound is still there! They put the dash back together, but now there is a seem that wasn't there before. Right on top of the dashboard, behind the hump in the middle that houses the radio and everything else, towards the right side, there is a perfectly straight line/seem that runs vertically from the part of the dash that houses the defroster to the back of the hump that houses the radio. Do any of you out there have that line, perhaps in your '07's? Please advise.

Also, something that has me annoyed, is the fact that the glove box door no longer goes down smoothly. Before, it was dampened and when you opened it, it went down semi-smoothly and definitely not with a clunk. It was smooth. Now, though, it just PLOPS down with no resistance whatsoever. I hate that. The fact that it was dampened before, crazily enough, was one of the reasons why I bought the car since I hate glove boxes that just PLOP down. Dempening it gives it a quality feel.

Also, I had an iPod Integration thing put in. I love the fact that I can hear my iPod in the car now. They put the cable that connects the iPod inside the glove box. When you connect it, the Mazda emblem appears on the iPod screen. You control it thoroughly through the stereo and NOT the iPod itself, which is convenient but has its cons, too. Anyway, they left two GAPING holes in the back of the glove compartment. I feel, now, that I can't put stuff in the back of the huge glove compartment for fear that things will fall through the dash and into that inaccessible space in the dashboard. SO frustrating! Also, though they put the dash back together ok, they scratched my steering wheel in the process (the hub? the place where the airbag comes out and where you press to honk the horn) and the seem on the driver's side that connects the dash to the A Pillars seems semi uneven, whereas the passenger's side is perfect. UGH!

And, like I said, I have all these changes now on my car, but that DARNED noise is STILL THERE! What do I do?!? I mean, I don't want to seem like an anal, annoying customer since the service team has seen me MORE than enough times and have been very nice to me. But, these things really bug me. Should I calm down, or do you think I should go ahead and bring it back and tell them to address these issues? And does anyone out there know where the heck this tapping/popping/rattle thing is coming from and how to get rid of it? The crunching noise in the suspension that doesn't go away is bad enough!!

NissMazLover said:
And does anyone out there know where the heck this tapping/popping/rattle thing is coming from and how to get rid of it? The crunching noise in the suspension that doesn't go away is bad enough!!
Tapping Cause/Resolution
The crunch resolution eludes us to this day, however there IS a known fix to the dash/windshield tapping. There are two bolts in the engine bay that need retightened, but it's under the black plastic wiper fairing. Here's the attachment that TheMAN posted a while back...

Click fix --> http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=99550

Glove Box
The glove box in my 2007 still has a gradual drop, get them to fix that. The probably forgot to install a glider or other do-hickey.

Dash Crease
Yes, my 2007 has that. See the attached pics to make sure it's the same thing you're referring to.

Attachments

• DSCF0051.JPG
    DSCF0051.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCF0057.JPG
    DSCF0057.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
SuperWanda said:
rodslinger - what did they do to fix your crunching sound?

They replaced the control arms. For me the crunching sound wasn't that big of a problem. It isn't often it getrs below 30 here in Atlanta. I also didn't hear it until I went to the NC mountains over the weekend and it was 13 degrees that morning. By biggest complaint was really the popping noises.

I got it back today. They have replaced the control arms, sway bar bushings and end links. They also did the cowl panel procedure. The service advisor also noted that they tightened the suspension components while under load as someone had mentioned before.

The drive home was pleasant. No popping noises or crunching today. Tomorrow morning will be the test.

Just got my 5 back for the crunching noise. They did not replace the front and rear sway bar bushings, they simply lubed them. The noise has disappeared, but I am guessing this will be a temporary fix. I just hope that Mazda itself is finding a permanent fix for this little issue.

My wife reports that ever since it got down to 5 degrees F here that we have the creaking suspension noise, too. I drove the car when it was in the high teens and didn't notice anything.

I've been following this thread for a long time and am calling the dealer later this week (we're due for an oil change anyway). The dealer doesn't work on many 5s. What do you suspension veterans advise I tell them? Should I give them a copy of the TSB in advance (and the fix for the front end popping noise) and ask them to replace the parts, grease the bushings, tell 'em to tighten the bolts when the car is on the ground, etc.? Our 5 falls outside of the VIN cutoff on the TSB; has that been a problem?

doctorz said:
My wife reports that ever since it got down to 5 degrees F here that we have the creaking suspension noise, too. I drove the car when it was in the high teens and didn't notice anything.
Same here. I've only noticed it so far since it's been in the single digits.

Our 5 falls outside of the VIN cutoff on the TSB; has that been a problem?
Each dealer is different, but my 5 is a 2007 so it falls way out of the VIN cutoff and my dealer proposed the TSB without me suggesting it first. It shouldn't hurt printing out the TSB and taking it in, and stating that you are experiencing the same problem as described... see what they say. I'm getting it repaired, although part of me feels like it will be a waste of time in that we have yet to see a proven final resolution to this. Regardless, good luck. :)

They are now ordering the front lower control arms for my crunching problem.

We have a 2006 which falls outside the VIN on the TSB but the front sway bar bushings were covered under warranty and I am assuming that the control arms will be?

I have never mentioned the TSB - everything has just been covered.

I'll let you know what happens once they are replaced.

I'd also like to know the answer to this question that jandree asked to benfolio:

Is there a revised TSB that will be published to dealerships? I just had mine in yesterday, and the parts are on order. Would like this to be fixed the correct way when the parts come in.

jandree22 said:
Tapping Cause/Resolution
The crunch resolution eludes us to this day, however there IS a known fix to the dash/windshield tapping. There are two bolts in the engine bay that need retightened, but it's under the black plastic wiper fairing. Here's the attachment that TheMAN posted a while back...

Click fix --> http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=99550

Glove Box
The glove box in my 2007 still has a gradual drop, get them to fix that. The probably forgot to install a glider or other do-hickey.

Dash Crease
Yes, my 2007 has that. See the attached pics to make sure it's the same thing you're referring to.

DUDE! You are DA MAN! Thanks for replying and for doing it so GREATLY. Those pics REALLY help and show the EXACT line/seem I was referring to - it's just weird since the original dashboard didn't have the crease at all. Go figure! I am definitely going to take it back for the glove box AND the tapping noise and hopefully they will get it fixed. I just hate seeming like an annoying customer, you know? But, I am really disliking my car right now and this is the car that I fell in love with. I want to love it again.

Another thing they did while replacing my dashboard is that they scratched up my steering wheel hub - where the airbag comes out of and where you press to honk the horn. Mine was beautifully smooth and now it has scratches. Do you think they can replace that?

crunch rear and front suspension

5thAve said:
I smugly read this thinking "I haven't got that noise." Woke up yesterday and went for a drive GRAAUUNCH! Only when hitting medium or large bumps head on (both wheels travel up/down same time) so I guess it's an anti-roll bar bushing thing. We have GT (17") but with 16" rims & snows on right now. 500kms when at first occurence. Not sure if I'm hearing anything from the back but definitely the front. Zoom5Zoom, I may come by and check out your service dep't as Carling Mazda has been, uh, less than satisfactory. Maybe a good grease between bars and bushings will keep it quiet for a while.

There is a TSB from North American Operations 02-007/06 with specific VINs. This appears to be a similar problem across Canada and in colder parts of the USA. Those of us in Canada are not being fairly serviced as those in the USA. Mazda Canada is well aware of the problem, choses to deal with the problem on the cheap which DOES NOT last more than a day or two. The TSB is 9 pages long. Mazda Canada needs to hear from all whoa re having this problem. It will go away once it gets warmer but it will be back when it gets colder. The TSB permanent fix has worked to the satisfaction of owners - not so here in Canada. There must be 100 pages of emails from owners on the various Mazda forums so it is not a one-of-a-kind problem. Each of us are getting varying degrees of assistance (or none) from dealerships.

Apparantly the dealer HATES it when you bring in TSB's. Not that I'd know where to find them online or who would post such a thing..... :D

I don't remember if the TSB mentions lubing the bushings before installing, but it is a good idea that DOES WORK.

Once Thursday comes my 5 should be all fixed. Well, except for that dent and scrape......

rodslinger said:
They replaced the control arms. For me the crunching sound wasn't that big of a problem. It isn't often it getrs below 30 here in Atlanta. I also didn't hear it until I went to the NC mountains over the weekend and it was 13 degrees that morning. By biggest complaint was really the popping noises.

I got it back today. They have replaced the control arms, sway bar bushings and end links. They also did the cowl panel procedure. The service advisor also noted that they tightened the suspension components while under load as someone had mentioned before.

The drive home was pleasant. No popping noises or crunching today. Tomorrow morning will be the test.

So far all is well for me but then again the temps haven't gotten below 30F.

Just dropped off my 5 at the dealer for the "fix". I'll find out in a few hours what they replaced. I told them I expected them to torque everything while under load, and they were aware of that already. Of course, it's now well above the temperature that initiates the problem so I won't know until next winter.

I could tell they weren't too impressed that I had the TSB, but I am both unrepentant and uncaring, and I let them know that I was unimpressed that Mazda wasn't proactive in dealing with the problem. I would much rather have the TSB and be thought a jerk, than not and be thought a fool.

So "whoever" posted it, good job and keep it up!

edit:

Car is back. They replaced the control arms and lubed the rest. Torqued everything under load, vacuumed the inside, and washed the outside. Overall I'm pleased with the sales and service of Kelowna Motors Ltd. We shall see if it is fixed next winter! /edit

Last edited:
Mine is in the shop today for the same problems inform the service tech that to look for all tsb's the mazda5. Hope they look for them, also got a loaner car when i jump in it was a mazdaspeed3 what luck do i have to test drive a speed3 for the day! Will report on this car later today.(drive2)

Well, I took the TSB and recall in and they had to order the parts for the crunch. I had no choice but to bring in the TSB because the last time I took it in, I went on my oral explanation and a test drive with the mechanic that could not reproduce the issue. The guy had no issue with me bringing in the TSB, they are very nice at this location, great customer service. So they ordered the parts, took 2 weeks! I took it in last week, free rental (love that) and the sound is gone! Not sure what they replaced, but the sound is gone, steering feels a tad tighter, tho might be psychological.

I don't think so, if one kepts complaining to the dealer service dept alot they will fix it. Hope they fix mine or order the parts if not i'm going to another dealer. So far this mazdaspeed3 is great, just put 30 miles on it and the wife is thinking of buying one this year. So far no call from dealer yet. (nailbyt)

The dealer call and wanted to kept my mazda5 overnight because they are so dumb after i told them about the tsb and service bullentins. They think its the front lip and my eyelids doing it, all day and not a damm thing to fix it only they align the hood this is how dumb these people are and for not listening to one problems. I hate tech service people for not paying attention to me!!!!!!!!!!(bang) . So for now i think i put more miles on that speed3 and burn some rubber too!(drive2)

That's surprising. My local Mazda dealer KNEW about TSB and were aware of the issues involved. They needed to see what parts had to be replaced so they had to verify my car then order the parts. However, they only needed half a day to fix it and gave me a free rental meanwhile.

Back