Front License Plate Placement?

JDM_Pro5

:
2002 Proteg5
As you can see in my Sig, I have one of the Ebay custom Japanese style license plates and it's located dead center. I drilled the plate for the JDM mounting holes located on the bumper so I didn't have to use the American plate converter and have all that plastic crap on the front.

I have a MSP bumper at my house awaiting paint. Once I install that bumper, I was unsure what I should do about a front plate. Do I keep the Jap plate or is it too Ricer? Should I offset, and mount it on the side? Should I forget the bumper and go clean?

Show me some pictures you guys have of different styles and help me decide!

Thanks,
Cameron

Keep it, looks better than the US ones do IMO. As long as the popo ain't hasslin ya. Placement would be my inner conflict.

offset
DSC08187.jpg

centered lower part of bumper( it was attached to the lip)
IMG_0016.jpg

no plate (looks the best IMO)
IMG_0032.jpg

Do what YOU like. Don't worry about others. I am curious though.... Whats wrong with the current bumper? I thought the msp and p5 bumper were the same? IMO I wouldn't add holes to my bumper if I didn't have to.

No plate is definitely the best looking if state law won't get you pulled over. I won't do offset because it would block my useless fog lights.

Do what YOU like. Don't worry about others. I am curious though.... Whats wrong with the current bumper? I thought the msp and p5 bumper were the same? IMO I wouldn't add holes to my bumper if I didn't have to.

the msp and protege5 bumpers are identical minus the side marker lights that are in the p5 bumper on the side..

I bought my car without side marker lights. The front bumper got messed up when I dodged a dog and went off road. Turns out whoever painted my bumper didn't mix it right so all the paint is chipping. The chipping paint and the slightly torn bumper was a sign to get the MSP bumper.

I have no lip and I'm still debating on it. I like the side placement, but I plan on keeping my fogs and don't want them covered. Bikingpro5, I appreciate the pics, all 3 positions look great on your car, but without the DG lip, MSP bumper, or fog delete, I don't think I can do any of those. Possibly center of the grill, just not as low.

The only thing that has been stumping me is the lip on the bumper where the plate is meant to go. I feel a little weird leaving it exposed since that is obviously the location for plate placement.

I bought my car without side marker lights. The front bumper got messed up when I dodged a dog and went off road. Turns out whoever painted my bumper didn't mix it right so all the paint is chipping. The chipping paint and the slightly torn bumper was a sign to get the MSP bumper.

I have no lip and I'm still debating on it. I like the side placement, but I plan on keeping my fogs and don't want them covered. Bikingpro5, I appreciate the pics, all 3 positions look great on your car, but without the DG lip, MSP bumper, or fog delete, I don't think I can do any of those. Possibly center of the grill, just not as low.

The only thing that has been stumping me is the lip on the bumper where the plate is meant to go. I feel a little weird leaving it exposed since that is obviously the location for plate placement.

my bumper is at the shop right now and i asked them to fill in that lip. they told me they could not guarantee that the filler or plastic would not shrink trying to fill that part in over time. I know when the shop filled my side marker lights had to spend a lot of time making sure that was up to my standards and the holes were gone. you could always use magnets like Circuit behind the middle part and attach you plate to it with matching magnets, so no holes in the bumper and if you want a plate it there and easily removed if you want it gone without ruining the bumper

Keep it, looks better than the US ones do IMO. As long as the popo ain't hasslin ya. Placement would be my inner conflict.
The Fuzz don't give a crap about us unless we are speeding. My exhaust goes from the down pipe straight to the muffler. 2.5" to a 2-chamber muffler, no cat, no resonator. Its sounds great. No rice, the right amount of rasp, fairly loud. No one has said the first thing about it. Here in the woods we can drive with no front bumper or hood. As long as you have you rear plate on and your inspection sticker it's all gravy

Last edited:
my bumper is at the shop right now and i asked them to fill in that lip. they told me they could not guarantee that the filler or plastic would not shrink trying to fill that part in over time. I know when the shop filled my side marker lights had to spend a lot of time making sure that was up to my standards and the holes were gone. you could always use magnets like Circuit behind the middle part and attach you plate to it with matching magnets, so no holes in the bumper and if you want a plate it there and easily removed if you want it gone without ruining the bumper
That is clever, but the holes are already there. I bought the bumper on here primed. There are center mounting holes. A little sloppy, bit I figure they were small enough to fill no problem. I had though about filling that lip also, but knowing my luck it would look horrible. I guess i will stay with the center mount, possibly try the grill mount out later. I like the angled grill mount, similar to EVADE, but without the giant angled metal mount some people use.

I just need some outside opinions to get a good feel on ideas, and to make sure I keep my hand out of the Rice pot (loser)

Last edited:
Oh yeah, forgot the 03.5 thing was a lip too. Fuzz makes money if you don't has both plates here and they'd make money for loud stereo or exhaust too. Semi-California rules here. Not quite that bad tho. I had one of those angled chromy plate mount things but never used it. Still in the attic in it's box. I run a mask to keep chips off the front due to 35 miles of frwy commuting in metro area and it wouldn't work with the bra. Figured unchipped front end was better option.

I didn't have the usual chipping, the paint was brittle since it wasn't thinned right, so instead of little chips, the paint comes off in giant shards and sticks out like razor blades lol. I can grab an edge and pull off a foot of it. It's horrible. I got a quote on painting my bumper and everyone had to add a bunch of labor getting the old paint off. Some of the actual plastic is damaged and most of the loops where the bumper connects to the car are busted also. Much easier getting another bumper, not to mention, one I wanted. I've never been big on plate mounts, I like flush to the car.

Here is before the accident

ivk6CIIcYI8qx.jpg

Here is after, it only gets worse with time.

ibwSqAAYXI6Ipa.jpg

iHVkjklaDQtQJ.jpg

ありがとうございます.
Thanka you...verrry mashh.
Japanese is fun. My old Japanese instructor would tell us all the importance of Election day. It took 2 years for her to catch on to why everyone lost their s*** when she talked about it. 45 minute lectures on the importance of erections will increase anyone's health and demeanor 10-fold

I could imagine being sent to the office regularly for not controlling my laughter in her class, lol...............yes and engwish vewy twicky and full of funny trap two.

My car came with the US style. I didn't like the gap between the frame and plate, so I cut my own plate, painted it black and added a UGA magnet.

garage_attachment.php

Back