License Plate Screws

ch3no2

'23 CX-5 Turbo Sig
So, Have the new 2023 CX-5 Sig in the garage. Received the license plate this week. Kinda irritated about the slotted screws the factory provides. I imagine they work well, and stainless, but looking for something more. They look non-standard. Look like M6x1.

Thinking about some hex button heads DIN 9427, with DIN 125 washers.

20221223_141508.jpg

Last edited:
You sure those screws are stainless? Mine were not till I swapped em out.

The higher the grade of stainless the lower the iron content of the metal.

You sure those screws are stainless? Mine were not till I swapped em out.
Not sure if the screws for license plates are actually supplied from factory. But the screws for my 2016 CX-5 are standard zinc-plated screws seemly provided by my Mazda dealer. The screws for my daughter’s new 2022 Toyota Corolla Hatchback are also just standard zinc-plated screws put on by the dealer.

As always- great replies. Looking again the "OEM" screws, they look plated. Sage advice on getting hex head DIN 933- I actually had to drill out some M6 button heads on my winter driver. Probably my fault for using the wrong hex wrench and I did just that. Wish there was a button head Torx solution, but did not see one on the Fastenal website. Will see what the local hardware store has.

It’s not just about the iron….

View attachment 314779

The higher the grade of stainless the lower the iron content of the metal.

You didn't believe me? It is JUST about the iron. What's the first sentence say in your post?

What makes stainless steel magnetic?

"The alloy must have iron in it"

"The crystal structure of the alloy must be arranged in a martensitic or ferritic structure"

No iron, no martensitic or ferritic structure, no sticky.

Last edited:
I see a bit of overthinking here. Just grab two screws and a screwdriver. Place the screws in the holes. Use the screwdriver to tighten the screws. Hand tight should be enough. Inspect the screws once a month. Replace them if you think it’s necessary. Good luck.

I see a bit of overthinking here. Just grab two screws and a screwdriver. Place the screws in the holes. Use the screwdriver to tighten the screws. Hand tight should be enough. Inspect the screws once a month. Replace them if you think it’s necessary. Good luck.
They aren't really screws though, they are M6-1.0 bolts.

But your point absolutely stands.

Replace them with plastic screws/bolts. I get them at Canadian Tire. Dirt cheap and never rust.

Back