Front Hood Vibration

... even if it is buffing out the damage. I've seen deeper marks than these buff right out. My concern is whether the marks will reappear over time. Also, if I were to just leave them (which I won't) they would probably develop rust eventually.
OK, now I'm confused. Are these cracks in the paint (which clearly will not "buff out") or paint imperfections (which their detail guy might be able to do something with)?? I thought this thread was about paint fatigue caused by a vibrating hood.

No, there is no other damage, no dents.

Mike, picture 3 is a shot straight down onto the right side of the hood. The headlight is in the upper right.

I'm quite sure Mazda will do something for me, even if it is buffing out the damage. I've seen deeper marks than these buff right out. My concern is whether the marks will reappear over time. Also, if I were to just leave them (which I won't) they would probably develop rust eventually.

The last 2 pictures are exactly what I had when I got my CX-5 seem to be some adhesive from the clear protective plastic. It came off after a bit of effort washing and buffing pretty good. The first 2 pictures appear to be something else. Hopefully someone can figure out what those are and do something about it.

OK, now I'm confused. Are these cracks in the paint (which clearly will not "buff out") or paint imperfections (which their detail guy might be able to do something with)?? I thought this thread was about paint fatigue caused by a vibrating hood.
Don't be confused, because I am not a paint expert. To me they are obviously cracks, but I've seen much worse looking damage totally disappear under a buffer. If you have knowledge that a crack is impossible to buff out, I'll take your word for it, because I surely don't know the difference between a scratch repair and a crack repair.

UPDATE: OK, I am an idiot! (whistle)
(But an idiot who can admit when he is wrong)

After reading some of the comments about the dealer hood protector, I went out this morning and vigorously rubbed the 'cracks' with my thumb and viola!, they came off! I'm not sure why they didn't come off with normal car washes, but I'm very grateful to whoever posted the info that sparked me to try this.

The reason I was thinking they were cracks is that they appeared to be growing. The answer to that is that apparently dust/pollen/etc was sticking to the residue left from the dealer hood protector sheet and giving to impression that the line was expanding.

Good news, will have to mention this to the other guy with "cracks".

After reading some of the comments about the dealer hood protector, I went out this morning and vigorously rubbed the 'cracks' with my thumb and viola!, they came off! I'm not sure why they didn't come off with normal car washes, but I'm very grateful to whoever posted the info that sparked me to try this.

Wow, that's good news, I'm so glad you figured it out when you did rather than having to be further embarrassed at the dealership!

One lesson that can be taken home from this is how fast Internet rumors opinions become "fact" in many peoples minds ie, "CX-5 has issue with hood flexing that then causes paint to crack" and how important it is to verify.

I was fooled enough to believe they were actually cracks in the paint because I couldn't imagine that glue residue could be mistaken for a crack when it was available to look at person. I have a 50x surface microscope that has proven very valuable for investigating all kinds of things. It amazing how much insight can be gained with a closer look.

Your dealer should have removed that residue before delivery but, it's never too late.

Yeah, the residue was pretty much hardened so that when I tested it with a fingernail it would actually make the clicking noise you would expect from a deep scratch or crack. Anyway, I'm just glad it is resolved with such minimal effort.

Good outcome due to useful feedback from owners here.

Yeah, the residue was pretty much hardened so that when I tested it with a fingernail it would actually make the clicking noise you would expect from a deep scratch or crack. Anyway, I'm just glad it is resolved with such minimal effort.

Same with mine. Washing did not remove it. WD-40 will remove any type of glue/sap residue with ease!

Back