front drivers side rotor and caliper getting hot as F**K!

02Protege'5

:
'02 P5
My front drivers side rotor is getting hotter than the surface of the sun. i touched it and in an instant the skin was fried off my thumb. the car also "wobbles" that seems to be coming from that area of the car, then once im up to speed for a bit the "wobble" goes away.
any suggestions?

thanks,

-Tony

Sounds to me like you have a seized caliper which has led to a warped rotor. Does the surface of the rotor look vastly different from the other three? I have a pic posted here somewhere of what my rotor looked like but the damn search function isn't cooperating....

What he said.

Jack that wheel up off the ground and see if it's hard to spin the wheel. There will be a bit of friction, but if you spin it, it should go for a turn or two before it stops.

Yeah, I agree with CTt3P5.
Sounds like things are not sliding too good and needs to be cleaned up.
Also, fingers are not the best thing to use to test how hot brakes get.
Get yourself an Infrared Thermometer, it shoots out a nifty laser beam pointer and gives you instant temps.
I got mine on sale for $50.
Every few months after I drive home and pull into the garage, I walk around and read the temps of the rotors.
If one is like 50 degrees hotter or so than the others, then that's the one that needs cleaning.

Yeah most likely bad caliper. These cars are notorious for going through brakes. I have already replaced the rears once and the fronts twice in less than 3 years.

Good advice. Feel the wheel first (with the back of your hand). If there is a brake not releasing - the wheel will be plenty hotter than the others.

You need your opposable thumb. ;)

Back