Front Bumper switchout...

02sleeper

:
02 Protege LX
I am looking to swap out my stock front bumper for the Mazdaspeed front bumper, I was wondering what it would take to purchase the bumper and if I could do it myself or take it to a shop and have them replace it, would it require me in getting new headlights bumper mounts??? Thanks

there is a how to in the how to section, I believe it requires a small amount of cutting to the bumper support but from what I read it looked easy enough to do yourself. The write up is well written so you should be ok, other than that I don't know about pricing.

you'll need new reinforcements though unless you figure out some ghettofied way of doing it. I think all together to do a correct conversion would be about $392 , not including paint.

Thanks for the info

I'm new to this so I'll take a look at the how 2 section....Will post pictures of before and after....Carbon fiber hood, rims 17x7 black w/ chrome lip rims, MSP front bumper Underbody L.E.D. green light kit, all coming shortly

Nice man, def. keep us up to date. the underbody isn't my cup of tea, but do it right and it will look good. good luck brother.

You will need a new Bumper Reinforcement (or cut it to fitment)
-Right and Left Splash guards
-upper and lower grills
-the bumper cover

I think that should cover it... not sure about the upper grill but i'm pretty sure since the bumper has a different shape, the grill might not fit

FSCatalyst said:
You will need a new Bumper Reinforcement (or cut it to fitment)
-Right and Left Splash guards
-upper and lower grills
-the bumper cover

I think that should cover it... not sure about the upper grill but i'm pretty sure since the bumper has a different shape, the grill might not fit

you will def need a new upper grill. the rest of the list is correct. i did the switch abt 2 yrs ago. it is not hard and the how-to has all the part numbers you will need down to the last bolt.

best of luck, it is one of the upgrades i have loved the most , right behind turbo!!

rob

djarkitek said:
you'll need new reinforcements though unless you figure out some ghettofied way of doing it. I think all together to do a correct conversion would be about $392 , not including paint.

If you buy the parts new the bumper cover and the reinforcement alone are around 400. Think 700 (plus shipping, painting and installation) for the MP3/MSP swap, and more for the 03.5 lip.

Last edited:
Another thing, you may want to consider getting side skirts as well. The new bumper is lower and looks wierd without the skirts IMO.

Anyone happen to have pics of the rebar? Or can tell me what the difference is? I have a protoge5 bumper that I'm going to shave the signal lights off of, and put on my Protoge. Don't really wanna buy a new rebar if I can just mod the one I got. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. thanks.

Machine Head said:
Anyone happen to have pics of the rebar? Or can tell me what the difference is? I have a protoge5 bumper that I'm going to shave the signal lights off of, and put on my Protoge. Don't really wanna buy a new rebar if I can just mod the one I got. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. thanks.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123634534

This will walk you through the process if you are comfortable cutting the reinforcement.

No Problem. I was going to do it myself until I got cut off going to work :(

Luckily the damage was only on the bumper and reinforcement, and it happened with the old bumper.

Yeah its not too bad. If you have any questions ask, I may have the answers for you. Just if you are cutting...BEWARE OF BOILING PLASTIC. It hurts badly. It didn't take too long, and was worth saving the $400 on the reinforcement from the dealer.

zoomzoom02 said:
Yeah its not too bad. If you have any questions ask, I may have the answers for you. Just if you are cutting...BEWARE OF BOILING PLASTIC. It hurts badly. It didn't take too long, and was worth saving the $400 on the reinforcement from the dealer.

$400 for the MSP reinforcement? You are definitely getting (butthump)

I got mine from onlinemazdaparts.com

BN7H50070A
MSRP: $247.11
Online price: $197

Reinforcement - Sedan 2001-03 w/mps option 2001 - 2003

Back