FP-DE/FS-DE alternate OEM spark plug recommendation

Every car I work on or build including mine (that is being raffled off) I put in BKR6E plugs.

How about NGK ZFR7F ??? Those are one step colder then the stock Mazdaspeed Protege and Copper. Do these Coppers preform just as well?

Are the ones you posted platinum ??

No... in my opinion you don't use ANY ZFR series plugs. the problem isn't the heat range, it's the moved flame front which leads to the detonation. Coppers are what we use for everything. I don't like Platinum or Iridiums either as I have found they can hotspot to easily and lead to other problems. So I'm anti those as well. Copper only for modified motors in my opinion.

No... in my opinion you don't use ANY ZFR series plugs. the problem isn't the heat range, it's the moved flame front which leads to the detonation. Coppers are what we use for everything. I don't like Platinum or Iridiums either as I have found they can hotspot to easily and lead to other problems. So I'm anti those as well. Copper only for modified motors in my opinion.

Soo what would you recommend for a Spark Plug? I was going to use those ZFRs to prevent detonation...

What plug do you recommend for a Mazdaspeed Protege mildly modified with higher boost then stock?

He already said, BKR6E.

I personally haven't seen any issues using ZFR6F, but what Steve says makes sense. My car ran like s*** with BKR7E, but that was probably from them being too cold. Going to put in BKR6E on my next change and see how she does.

He already said, BKR6E.

I personally haven't seen any issues using ZFR6F, but what Steve says makes sense. My car ran like s*** with BKR7E, but that was probably from them being too cold. Going to put in BKR6E on my next change and see how she does.

Run it yet?

Don't know if anyone has posted any pics of the spark plugs side-by-side, but here's another one:

spark_plug_difference.JPG

Does anyone know what the stock plugs that come with the 2001 protege ES 2.0L Manual Tranny are?
In the owners manual, it states plugs as BKR5E-11/ BKR6E-11.
So which ones are installed from factory?

Damn nice photo...

those plugs are running a bit too hot. the white should not be making it past the knee on the anode steel. The brown on the insulator is fine, and you should see more of that on the anode as well. 2 and 4 seem particularily hot, but 1 and 3 are ab it hot too... the carbonization on the base of the plug indicates the chamber is not getting too hot, but the plug seems to be overheating. That is my estimation/analysis.

Hey guys -- this is an old thread, but I just changed my plugs and used this thread as a reference.

My 2001 MP3 only has about 21k miles on it -- but I figured it was time to change the plugs. I bought the car with 15 miles on the clock and the reason for the low miles is because I often take my motorcycle to work -- and even then, it's only 2 miles each way.

Anyway, being 7 years old, I figured why not change the plugs. Idle isn't as smooth as it used to be (slight vibrations) ... So I piked up some BKR5E's at AutoZone but before putting them in decided to check the net. On the recommendations of this forum, I exchanged them for ZFR5F-11's -- just 10 cents more each....

This morning I yanked the old plugs ..... and much to my surprise, they weren't what I expected!!

What came out were ND Iridium SKJ16CR-A8's!!! I can assure you these are the plugs installed from Mazda. I am the first owner and have done all maintenance on the car.

Checking ND's site, these would be used on a 1999 BMW 750il (V12 engine) ... and the equivalent NGK V-groove plug would be the BKR6E.

The plugs with 21k miles on them look perfect -- I'll snap a picture. Nice light brown coating, no visible wear. I checked the gap and it was ~0.32" on all 4 of them. Looking at NGK's site, I see that BMW calls for this gap on the V12.

So how odd these were in my car!! And then how odd the gap was 0.32". I installed the ZFR5F-11's with the 0.44" gap they came with. Driving around today, I notice zero difference between the new and old plugs. I never really had any lurching or other problems you guys talk about though... Mileage seems to be pretty crappy lately, though ... about 18mpg all city, all stop and go. We'll see if it gets better.

Has anyone else ever found these in their MP3? I am thinking I will just re-gap them to 0.44" and put them back in when the ZFR's die. In addition, I should have taken a comparison shot, but the Iridiums look pretty long reach -- comparable to the ZFR's. I saw someone else's shot comparing the BKR5E to the ZFR5F-11 and there was a big noticeable difference.

I am thinking now my slightly rough idle these days is just caused by hardening motor mounts, as would be expected due to age.

Oh, and for reference I always run 91 Octane (California Gas.) The Iridium's I yanked were a "6" heat range and that seems to be perfect. So we'll see what happens with these new 5 heat range plugs... I'll check them in 10k miles to see how they are doing.

Sorry for the bad lighting -- I need a light box. Pictures of the Mazda-installed SKJ16CR-A8 Iridium plugs I pulled from my MP3 today....

2520520900_38bd6cbde8_b.jpg

2519702889_17258f527e_b.jpg

most interesting indeed. i think you're the first for sure with the iridiums

Latest posts

Back