Ford CANCELS seven-passenger C-Max for U.S.

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/09/ford-cancels-seven-passenger-c-max-for-north-america-focuses-so/

This might explain why I didn't see one in the NY Auto show... I guess the US market for MPV is not as big as Ford though OR they simply see more money in other areas -hybrid and electric. But why can't Ford do an electric/hybrid version of the C-Max.?. Then again, Toyota also held back on the Prius V, which was anticipated to be a 7 seater but official release as 5 seater only.

I am just glad I bought my mz5 when it popped up (headbang)

from what I read yesterday, they're still bringing a C-max to US, just hybrid and plug-in-hybrid only. That part was fine, but only 5, not seating for 7 is a bummer. I posted on a mainstream site imploring them to make 3rd row an option like it used to be on SUV's like Explorer, those who want it would gladly pay the $1k it costs to include -> assuming that the fitment is still there.
I was wondering if they need the floor-space for the battery pack in hybrid configuration? (like where our 3rd row seats fold in the floor of the Mazda, that 6" in height?) It's 7-passenger when normal engine in the rest of the world, and they're doing hybrid only here...

Ford Cancels 7-Passenger C-Max for U.S., Will Sell Only 5-P Hybrid and Plug-In Models

2012-Ford-C-MAX-hybrid-626x382.jpg

Turns out Americans won't be getting another crack at a Euro-style mini minivan. Ford has officially canceled plans for its seven-passenger C-Max for the United States. Fans of small-in-stature MPVs may still be able to find what they are looking for in the Mazda5, but definitely not in Ford dealerships.

The retraction of the seven-seater means the U.S. market will be left with the C-Max Hybrid and C-Max Energi electric vehicle. These vehicles eschew the minivan-spec sliding side doors in favor of four regularly hinged portals and a rear hatchback. The Hybrid is expected to boast better than 41 miles per gallon on the highway, while the plug-in Energi promises to boast 500 miles of driving range from its battery and gasoline engine combined, along with better fuel efficiency than the Chevrolet Volt. We look forward to verifying those claims.

Ford is keen to point out that the C-Max Hybrid and C-Max Energi (yep, spelled with an 'i') models will be built alongside its 2012 Ford Focus and Focus Electric at the Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Mich. Why is that important? Assuming all goes to plan, Wayne will be the first plant in the world to produce gasoline-powered vehicles, full-electric vehicles, hybrid and plug-in hybrids under the same roof.

If you'd like, you're free to peruse the official press release after the break, which is not surprisingly focused much more on the two promised green-mobile five-seaters than on the death of the seven-seater. Now, if you'll excuse us for a moment, we're going to don our solid-black Sunday Bests and mourn the passing of Ford's planned seven-seater. Poor thing never even had a chance...

[Car And Driver]

i saw this too; i was momentarily excited when I thought they were bringing a hybrid 7 seater, but alas, my dreams have been crushed again. This just leaves the door open for Mazda to introduce a hybrid 6 seater.

Good, at least now I won't be tempted to buy a full blown ford vs. a Mazda/Ford... I wonder if this also has something to do with the Mazda Ford relationship and the investment Mazda/Ford just dumped into the 2012 Mazda5... perhaps since the market is pretty small in the US they don't want to compete against themselves for such a small pie??

Also, hybrids are such bulls***... no way I'd buy one... I'll be hoping and looking for either a new generation efficient diesel or possibly a full electric (once I'm confident they've got the battery situation sorted out) in my next vehicle.

Ford owns less than a quarter of Mazda now I think.

I don't see the C-Max in ford.ca anymore. :( Just leaves the 5, Rondo, and upcoming Chevy Orlando.

Good, at least now I won't be tempted to buy a full blown ford vs. a Mazda/Ford... I wonder if this also has something to do with the Mazda Ford relationship and the investment Mazda/Ford just dumped into the 2012 Mazda5... perhaps since the market is pretty small in the US they don't want to compete against themselves for such a small pie??

Ford's current stake in Mazda is 11 percent so I don't think that plays a role, I just think Ford does not see the business case

Ford owns less than a quarter of Mazda now I think.

I don't see the C-Max in ford.ca anymore. :( Just leaves the 5, Rondo, and upcoming Chevy Orlando.

Wow, you have so many choices in Canada :D

I read this morning that the 7-seat C-Max will be available in Europe. The C-Max for the US will be a 5-seat hybrid.

The reasons why I see this as being really bad is that:

1. the 7-seat Ford C-Max would have brought awareness to this type of vehicle - the Mazda5 demand/sales would have increased.

2. Who wants to buy a 5-person van? People who want hybrids won't be buying this which will make Ford and other manufacturers think that there is no market in the US for a 7-seat "microvan".

Looking at the C-Max (standard, not Grand) I see a vehicle that is direct competition to the Prius v. I guess they decided on a different battlefront. Maybe there aren't enough of us who want to seat more than 5 but also demand better mpgs. Maybe there will be a PEV coming of the Flex or the Explorer, so they thnk there is no need for an MPV that is small & fun-to-drive. From what I have seen through the ages, Ford doesn't really DO fun-to-drive anyway, expecting the Mustang to fill that need exclusively.

Looking at the C-Max (standard, not Grand) I see a vehicle that is direct competition to the Prius v. I guess they decided on a different battlefront. Maybe there aren't enough of us who want to seat more than 5 but also demand better mpgs. Maybe there will be a PEV coming of the Flex or the Explorer, so they thnk there is no need for an MPV that is small & fun-to-drive. From what I have seen through the ages, Ford doesn't really DO fun-to-drive anyway, expecting the Mustang to fill that need exclusively.
This makes sense. Add that Ford was anticipating a higher premeium for the 7 seater, which is treading on Caravan territory (bigger, safe, blah, blah, blah).

Great for Mz5 sales but it's like getting leftovers that no one wants...

2. Who wants to buy a 5-person van? People who want hybrids won't be buying this which will make Ford and other manufacturers think that there is no market in the US for a 7-seat "microvan".

The 5-seater (regular C-Max in Europe, not "Grand") does not have sliding doors, so no van there, it is more of a bloated hatchback

Back