fog lamps

Mad Hatter

:
02 Axiom, 02 MP5
Has anyone removed the little bulb cover thingy, behind the lens? My fog lights don't seem to shine out much, and I noticed that there is a cover that prevents the light from shinning straight out of the lamp. 1 screw would remove it.

You don't want to remove that cover, it causes the light that would shine forward to be directed back to the reflector where it is directed down and to the sides, right where foglights should shine. Removing it would probably cause a very bright spot right in the middle of the beam, blinding oncoming drivers and negating the usefulness of the fogs.

Because they're fog lamps, they're not supposed to shine out far.. They're supposed to hit the ground in front of your car. Fog lamps are not driving lamps. So don't take that piece out. If you want them to shine out forward, take the fog lights out and replace them with appropriate driving lamps.

They arent FOG LAMPS. They are "Driving Lights". Fog lamps are yellow and in fog, are the only light you use, at least in theory, A driving light is supposed to light up the 15 foot area infront of your car and 45 Deg left and right of the fenders for cornering.

Kewl?

why would every review and Mazda on the specs sheet list them as fog lights then?

not trying to be a smartass, it's a geniuine question..

and with all of this "yellow light isn't REALLY better" for the fog lights thing.. white lights are becoming more and more commonplace..

I guess I'd have to do a ray diagram, but it seems that the orientation of that cover over the bulb (cuts off the light that would shine up) would block the light that would eventually hit the ground. If it shines up from the bulb into the reflector wouldn't it then shine down onto the road? Isn't this why newer nissan maximas and altimas with HIDs have round reflectors but the light only comes out the top half?

IMO they seem to do no good at all. If I turn them on/off at night I can't tell if they are on or not, unless I lean way up and put my head up by the windshield to see the ground in front. Looks like they might project foward a whole 2 or 3 feet. WTF? Just for looks? Or do you guys think I should adjust/aim them up a little?

N2OInferno said:
why would every review and Mazda on the specs sheet list them as fog lights then?

not trying to be a smartass, it's a geniuine question..

and with all of this "yellow light isn't REALLY better" for the fog lights thing.. white lights are becoming more and more commonplace..
Something must have been lost in the translation from Japan!!(rockon)
Either way, they aren't supposed to do anything but look pretty!!

Mad Hatter said:
IMO they seem to do no good at all. If I turn them on/off at night I can't tell if they are on or not, unless I lean way up and put my head up by the windshield to see the ground in front. Looks like they might project foward a whole 2 or 3 feet. WTF? Just for looks? Or do you guys think I should adjust/aim them up a little?
yeah who cares they're just there for looks anyways.. i think i'm gonna try and mount mine upside down to see if with the little cover on the bulb facing the other way it causes glare.. if it doesn't i'll see about getting that thing out of there

lost in translation from Japan... hahaha..
like the RX8's power? I think it lost that when it came over here.. crazy translations. :D

N2OInferno said:
lost in translation from Japan... hahaha..
like the RX8's power? I think it lost that when it came over here.. crazy translations. :D
******* OUCH!! (flame2)

Back