Fluttering noise

SallySpeed3

:
GT Mazdaspeed3, Cosmic Blue
I know the 2.3 is infamous for making all kinds of noises while on and off, but a new one has recently surfaced that has me stumped. I recently put all my mods back on a couple of weeks ago, inlet, test-pipe, bpv. Its a fluttering/flapping/thumping kind of sound. Only notice it while coming to a stop or at idle (750 rpms is when its worse). I can hear it clearly while in the cabin, but if I pop the hood its not so easy to hear because of all the other sounds. If I give it some gas it gets louder but then goes away once I pass the 1k rpm range. Performance wise, my car seems fine, not sure it likes to OTS maps on the AP, boost comes on very abrubtly and seems very choppy, but I think its just cause I need a real tune. Any thoughts would be appreciated, I've done the normal stuff, check all vacuum lines and tubes post turbo, everything seems tight.

Fluttering sound I think comes from your BPV not being at the right setting. But without hearing it I cant be certain.

Fluttering sound I think comes from your BPV not being at the right setting. But without hearing it I cant be certain.

Well I'll try playing around with it. Maybe that can also equate to why my car is running so jagged. thanks

do you hear a "thud" type sound when you depress the accelerator a few times? If so you need to tighten your TurboSmart? have you ever serviced your turbosmart? cuz your piston could have seized like mine did.

do you hear a "thud" type sound when you depress the accelerator a few times? If so you need to tighten your TurboSmart? have you ever serviced your turbosmart? cuz your piston could have seized like mine did.

What did you have to do?

I ended up taking it apart and I had to get a socket that fit the bottom of the piston and drive it out with a rubber hammer, not a big deal since the piston is brass, once you do I ended up coating it with some metal penetrating fluid, the kind that you use to free up rusty bolts, then after I wiped it clean, I was instructed by TurboSmart to lube it with sewing machine oil and since then I have never had an issue with it what so ever, but i do take the piston out to check it every time I change my oil and relube with the sewing machine oil just to be safe..

What did you have to do?

Hmm, well tonight or tommorow I'll have a chance to check it out. Hopefully going to be installing my FMIC as long as my piping gets here, so that will be a good opportunity. What kind of driveability issues were you having?

While your at it, check all of your hoses and clamps. I'd take a closer look at the inlet ones personally.

Everytime I let off the gas it would studder and buck like a horse, so I'm like what the hell, naturally I was like huh thats odd, never thought about the BOV until everytime even at no real boost the bov would give a turkey like haha sound and I said well it's to tight so I loosen it and then somemore until nothing left and still had blow off so i knew then it was the piston sticking, never thought it would seize.

Hmm, well tonight or tommorow I'll have a chance to check it out. Hopefully going to be installing my FMIC as long as my piping gets here, so that will be a good opportunity. What kind of driveability issues were you having?

Ok, so while installing my FMIC the other day I checked all my connections around the turbo inlet and everything seemed fine. Also took BPV apart and the piston is fine. The more I payed attention to the noise here's what I've noticed. Much more noticeable while AC is on, will sometimes happen while coming to a hard stop, over bumps and coming down my driveway. I'm thinking something is loose? My first thought is suspension, but why would the AC affect suspension? The clunking noise seems to be coming either right behind the dash or right behind the firewall where the pedals are. Any more thoughts?

Could it be a leaky exhaust or manifold?

Did you put back your Corksport TP recently also?

Could it be a leaky exhaust or manifold?

Did you put back your Corksport TP recently also?

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Yeah I did, I'll get under there tonight and see if anythings loose. Thanks for the suggestion.

I had the corksport TP a while back and I had to take it off a few times. Every time I put it back on it would hit the frame in a different spot. I eventually figured out a trick to stop that from happening but I can't remember what it was :(.

I had the corksport TP a while back and I had to take it off a few times. Every time I put it back on it would hit the frame in a different spot. I eventually figured out a trick to stop that from happening but I can't remember what it was :(.

Oh no.. I'm installing a CS test pipe on my car tomorrow!

After painting my valve cover I decided to get under there and take a look at the exhaust. Bolts were very tight, couldn't even tighten them further so I doubt there's a leak. I googled gurgling sounds and alot of people talked of having air somewhere in their radiator lines/coolant. It's still a mystery, if it bothers me enough I'll take it to someone to look at it.

I wasn't talking about an air leak. I was talking about noise coming from either the pipe hitting the frame or the joint not having enough flex therefore causing a creaking sound. The only way to know for sure it is the test pipe is to duplicate the noise you say you are hearing at idle and get under there and listen. Since you say you tried listening in the engine bay, this would be the next place to try.

I wasn't talking about an air leak. I was talking about noise coming from either the pipe hitting the frame or the joint not having enough flex therefore causing a creaking sound. The only way to know for sure it is the test pipe is to duplicate the noise you say you are hearing at idle and get under there and listen. Since you say you tried listening in the engine bay, this would be the next place to try.

Ah, ok. Well in any case, I did get under the car while it was lifted and it was running with the AC on, Silence..... No sounds at all, went back and forth between the cabin and underneath a couple of times and didn't hear anything. This morning after I pulled out of the garage there it was again, loud as ever. So maybe the front end being on jack stands gets rid of the sound? no idea, lol. But thanks for the help

Ha Ha....I had that happen too. One time I came home from work, jumped out and layed on my back next to the front drivers side wheel to see if I can hear where a certain noise was coming from. Needless to say my wife came out and saw me and she was very confused!

Nothing churns my stomach more than trying to diagnose a noise in the garage and not hearing anything until the next time you drive. (flame)

Back