Fluid Change

L0w_N_sl0w

:
Mazda,Protege5
I just ordered my replacement engine and parts for my up coming swap ($2200). I want to ensure that I do everything correctly including changing all my fluids. My questions is what fluids are the best to use?

-Engine oil

-Transmission oil

-Coolant

Please post what has worked best for you.

Thanks,

Ryan.

I just went from the Redline tranny oil to Castrol. Not sure if it is a synthetic thing or Redline in particular, but the Redline was causing a bit of grind. Had that same issue on another car as well.

In my experience:

I can get a case of Mobil One at Costco for next to nothing. Does just fine.
Royal Purple gives me the best gas mileage, but gets dirty easy.
Amsoil does well all in all, but seems to run a bit thin ? for leaks or burning issues.
I swear Motul and Kendall give a bit more horsepower.

Castrol for non synthetic.

I have amsoil in my manual transmission... planning to switch it for whatever Mazda dealer uses. I'm finding it very difficult to get into first when cold... and still mildly difficult to shift when warmed up. Feels like not enough lubrication...

Engine oil also amsoil... no issues there.

I use good ole' Walmart Super Tech 5W30 and whatever filter is cheapest there. Usually about $15-$16.

I use good ole' Walmart Super Tech 5W30 and whatever filter is cheapest there. Usually about $15-$16.

I agree completely,... cheap oil changed every 3000 miles,... washes out the gunk that can cause ring seizure,..

I'm finding it very difficult to get into first when cold... and still mildly difficult to shift when warmed up. Feels like not enough lubrication...

I finally went all out to combat that same crap and switched to ATF type F (yes it's old school automatic transmission fluid with friction modifiers) as was recommended for my 1985 Mazda GLC (in cold weather),... and as much as I have been told to "get that the hell out of there" by some members,... I'm loving it,... smooth shifting ALL the time, even when it's -23 *C

For those of you who aren't brave (or stupid) enough to do that,.. GM Sychromesh oil FTW ($17 a liter last time I checked,... $6 for the ATF)

Last edited:
Coolant - Mazda Gold Extended life concentrated
transmission fluid - Ford Motorcraft SAE 75W-90 API GL-4 Gear Oil
Oil - Whatever you want to do. So many choices.

transmission fluid - Ford Motorcraft SAE 75W-90 API GL-4 Gear Oil

How has your shifting been with this polar vortex ??? I'm sure I was doing more damage grinding and clunking my gears all winter long with the recommended gear oil.

Sychromesh oil is as thin as water and is designed for a standard transmission that doesn't have hypoid gears (so we don't need extreme pressure protection)

Amsoil has a sychromesh oil too.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ.../manual-synchromesh-transmission-fluid-5w-30/

Last edited:
I finally went all out to combat that same crap and switched to ATF type F (yes it's old school automatic transmission fluid with friction modifiers) as was recommended for my 1985 Mazda GLC (in cold weather),... and as much as I have been told to "get that the hell out of there" by some members,... I'm loving it,... smooth shifting ALL the time, even when it's -23 *C

For those of you who aren't brave (or stupid) enough to do that,.. GM Sychromesh oil FTW ($17 a liter last time I checked,... $6 for the ATF)

I've heard of ATF actually being specified for some manual transmissions... but yeah I'm just going to get whatever mazda puts in there...

i personally use castrol products religiously. they have served me well and seem to go beyond what other fluids can. i use syntec 5w30 oil and a bosch filter but a nissan one part #3323 its a longer filter, with more filter element and mounts up all the same, as the 3300 which is the p5 one)

Valvoline syn 10W-30 changed every 3500m, Mazda 626 filter (longer can).

Latest posts

Back