Flav's Mazda Protege5

Well if bikingpro5 did it...... haha

How did you guys do it? Just cut out the grill from the stock one and glue it? lol can't wrap my head around it just yet.

You have to mold it to the shape of the open mouth grill, then you want to cut it out little by little to get it to sit flat when on car... I myself still haven't secured it to the grill yet bc of not painted, but plan on using window silicone and tiny wires for extra assurance...

damn ninja edit

Picking up the lip on Monday!

tumblr_m99klriPNW1rwzsbso1_500.gif

Finally got around to replacing my fuel filter today. Was surprisingly not as bad of a job as I expected it to be. Thanks to PCB's very informative tutorial.
However; One of the 2 fuel lines.. I am having troubles getting it back on "properly" (I don't have a picture of what it looks like now) there is no leak, went for a test drive for a bit with a friend monitoring the line as I drove.. Dry as a bone.

As I was doing the replacement there was a few things I noticed.. First of all (and thankfully) the 8 screws that most people seem to have problems with were not standard phillips screws... they were actually 7mm bolts (i think.. don't remember) So they came off like butter. Secondly.. My tank looks BEAUTIFUL (especially for a Canadian car...) the metal between the seal and the fuel filter looked brand new. Lastly ... and this is the big one.. whowever did this job before me cut a pretty big corner.. by not using the proper sized gasket. It was quite a bit larger not giving it the proper seal it needed.. plus it was a little cracked as well which is where I assume the gas smell was coming from etc.

Here's some pics I apologizing for not taking a picture of the end result.. I probably will tomorrow when I revisit that line (I was getting way too high from the smell of gas and plus I'm just burned out today)

LPwkpaU.jpg

rSbLbZD.jpg

os5AWfP.jpg

Edit: Also I haven't taken any pictures of it yet.. But the lip is back on the car and it finally all matches.

Ive slowly been reading through your thread, I love the car and the transformation its seen.. Well done.
Nice work with the filter, sounds like you locked out not having those philips.

edit: oh forgot, paint your mirrors. :)

Last edited:
Ive slowly been reading through your thread, I love the car and the transformation its seen.. Well done.
Nice work with the filter, sounds like you locked out not having those philips.

edit: oh forgot, paint your mirrors. :)

Heh, thanks :)
Yeah it's certainly changed for the better I'd say. Not sure if I have any future plans on painting those mirrors though :p

Okay, this problem seems to be getting a bit worse now.
If I give'r I can smell the car burn oil.. Haven't checked the level yet but I will tomorrow probably.

Where to start?

valve seals?
head gasket?
oil line somewhere with a pinhole that only leaks when under higher pressure?
oil filter tight?

^ Thank you for the list.
When you mention valve seals? Are you talking about the cover? If so, that appears to be dry as a bone. Head gasket is on my to do list I'm just not sure when I'm going to have the time to do it with school now..
Oil filter is on tight.

I think I may change out the PCV valve, last I checked it wasn't rattling around as freely as it should.

On the topic of head gasket replacement.. What sort of things should I, be ready for? In terms of.. how much cash should I save up? I already have the gasket, head bolts and timing belt.

Jal hit it on the head - valve seals are the tiny bits of rubber/plastic/vinyl that the valves physically slide up and down through when pressed or released by the camshafts. When I had the FSDE - mine were beginning to wear out and I'd smell oil burning a bit. Usually on decel or first start after it'd been setting up for a bit.

The list is just places I remember mine leaking oil from that actually created a smell. Definitely add that PCV valve to the list though - if it's shot - blowby will create that smell (just let it get to idle temp and pull the line off the valve - smell the fumes coming out..... you'll recognize it......lol.

Car seemed to be running a little rough today on the way to school. Didn't seem like all the power was there and the RPM's had a mind of their own at stop lights every once in awhile (was frequent)
Going to have a look at my sparks tomorrow, then I'm going to move onto the EGR. Any other ideas?

Yeah, I unfortunately hope it isn't the EGR. Called up Napa today to get prices for the "Canadian EGR" and just don't have the cash right now with school and all..
Car really seems like it's lost its power right now.. Didn't help that I have the AC blasting today but even in the morning when it was still fairly cool out.. no balls. (not that it has much to begin with, youknowwhatimtalkingaboutthough!) lol

Will update tomorrow with results!

Mine was doing this about a month ago. The car had either burnt a lot of oil, or the guy whom i bought it from didn't change the oil right, i had about 2 quarts in there rather then 5...... check it ASAP!!!!!!!! if i had gone any longer my car would be dead, Check it man!!!! an oil change fixed it for me.

Mine was doing this about a month ago. The car had either burnt a lot of oil, or the guy whom i bought it from didn't change the oil right, i had about 2 quarts in there rather then 5...... check it ASAP!!!!!!!! if i had gone any longer my car would be dead, Check it man!!!! an oil change fixed it for me.

Thanks for the heads up, Yeah I may do an early oil change tomorrow and spark replacement!

Changed out the sparks yesterday.. Seemed to breathe life back into the car. I'd say they were about due anyways.. Think I've had them in for about 35,000km's now lol :(

Took some pictures of the old sparks, let me know what you guys think. I'd say they look like the engine is running a bit lean?

Also still have a very slight odd idle, but no where near as to what I was describing before.. So I may have to clean out the EGR when I feel like it. At the moment it's something I can live with.
As for oil, it doesn't look too bad.. I'm only down about maybe a liter and am due for an oil change in the next 1000km's anyways.. I'll just top er off with what I've got left and maybe next oil change I'll spend the extra few bucks for something that'll last longer.

Here's some pics!

VhVjA56.jpg

dHfphTH.jpg

Back