Flash Tuning the CX-9

Hi guys,

I'm also looking for a way to get rid of the speed limiter in my CX-9. I love beating everybody at the traffic light when the light turns green but it makes me want to puke when they catch up with me at 160kmph. Gosh, what an upset!!!!

If it has been cracked, please let us know by who so that we know who to contact for an ECU upgrade.

Thanks

Jpr

I dont think that it is against the rules to point us in a direction that we can search ourselves, why keep this such a tight secret?

Jpr

How much more power would a tune put out for this 6 Cylinder? Now I could see if it had a turbo or a Twin Turbo.....

Too bad the Ford TT is not an option. To me, the CX-9 is slow......

Tghen again, any tune will void the warranty if they can prove it was caused by the Tune, and if engine/Tranny related, they will go out of their way to deny.

How much more power would a tune put out for this 6 Cylinder? Now I could see if it had a turbo or a Twin Turbo.....

Too bad the Ford TT is not an option. To me, the CX-9 is slow......

Tghen again, any tune will void the warranty if they can prove it was caused by the Tune, and if engine/Tranny related, they will go out of their way to deny.

Definitely true. :C

I would like to see a supercharger in the 9, would be just the right amount of power. Although I don't know how tough these engines are, if it would involve having to install a better head gasket, etc. And I'm not sure what the FWD axle shafts are rated at. I know Honda pretty much builds their half shafts for the engine in the car, and no more, VW used to build their half shafts pretty tough, up to around 3x the capacity of the power that came from the factory, but not sure what they build them at now, probly alot cheaper.

I can just see the badging on the 9: "CX-9 SC"

I would like to see a supercharger in the 9, would be just the right amount of power. Although I don't know how tough these engines are, if it would involve having to install a better head gasket, etc. And I'm not sure what the FWD axle shafts are rated at. I know Honda pretty much builds their half shafts for the engine in the car, and no more, VW used to build their half shafts pretty tough, up to around 3x the capacity of the power that came from the factory, but not sure what they build them at now, probly alot cheaper.

I can just see the badging on the 9: "CX-9 SC"

Hmm, adding a SPRCHRGR, I would be kinda concerned about increasing the roll over potential, as the vehicle is a bit top heavy, and so i would install much stiffer sway bars and struts, lower it, etc.

Last edited:
When adding a turbo or supercharger, you have to know if the shaft or transmission can handle the extra torque.
Our transmission is from Aisin, which is different from the one on a Mustang. The extra margin could be different.
Besides, you might also need programming update to get the max benefits.
A low psi charger should still keep the engine reliable and within acceptable range of torque spec.
A big project that I am not going try at all.

This is something that I might want to do if I own an old NSX (97+), which is a bit underpowered, IMHO.

There have been a few SC's installed on the 9 that we know of. Not sure of the origin of the kits, but we have tuned three with reflashes todate

Can you tell us what gains were made by doing this?

Good question. I'd love to know also.
It must depend on the psi.
High boost might give you a hard-time at next smog check in CA.

For Austarlian CX9 owner...

Taken from Powerchip (Australia) website:
Your Mazda CX-9 3.7i due to the complexity of the flash modification your cars ecu will need to be sent to melbourne for modification as no other powerchip resellers can perform this installation.

In standard form, the CX-9 3.7i produces 204 kW and 366 Nm.

Powerchip has a range of chips to suit your car, which can increase it's power to 218 kW, and it's torque to 391 Nm.

The price of the Powerchip is AUD $1,990.00.

14kw/25Nm gain for $2k? Not worthed I say...

Back