Fixing Scratches and Rust?

hedlesschkn

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I have a white 02 P5 and shes starting to rust. got some rust near the wheel wells and a big streak on the back hatch (there's rust dripping down my plastic rear bumper, its pretty gross). I know this is a common problem with these cars as I have read that lots of other people are having issues as well, living in southern NH and Rochester NY (both very snowy and very salty) I'm sure doesn't help my case.

I saw some Duplicolor Scratch Fix 2in1 with a "mazda white" label on it for 7 bucks I think (autozone maybe). I was wondering if that was a worthy investment to try and touch up my car a bit. If you all know of any other better products or could lead me in the right direction to make sure my baby doesn't rust to nothing i would really appreciate it

Get the right color from a paint shop. You give them your paint code and they'll mix you up a spray can of the exact color (shouldn't cost more than $15). And get some clear coat (if applicable) while you're at it.

You're going to need something to "seal" the surface once you sand it down, the paint shop will also be able to help you there (rust-fighting primer). Or you can get some POR-15 which is supposed to be very good.

i just did some treatment on my car with some rust converter i bought from a local auto parts store. you paint it on and it converts the rust into a black primer you can paint on. it should stop the rust, but it's only really good for surface rust, like anything else.

i just did some treatment on my car with some rust converter i bought from a local auto parts store. you paint it on and it converts the rust into a black primer you can paint on. it should stop the rust, but it's only really good for surface rust, like anything else.

My brother used that stuff on some steel rims, suffice to say it didn't work (rust came back 3-4 months later). I believe the stuff he used was literally called "Rust Converter".

15 bucks for a spray can vs 7 for a teeny tiny pen thinger sounds link a no-brainer. ill have to find a legit paint shop around here i guess

idk about the severe rust, but i was told if u have surface rust anywhere, coat it in a lot of wax and dont rub it off just let it dry on and leave it. the wax acts as a sealer over the rust

Back