Can I fix this with a Touch Up Paint Pen?

:
Toronto
:
2022 CX-5 GT
So I gave a friend a ride today, and when he shut the door he didn't check if the seat belt was fully retracted -- so it got stuck between the door and the frame. He didn't see it coming -- and neither did I.
My question is whether a touch up pen will fix this or will I have to get it fixed at a shop?
Thanks!!

IMG_2535.jpg

PS: I know I should be mad at my friend, but he's done me so many favours in the last year or so that I can't.

Yes, no problem. You may want to use a smaller brush if the touch pen is too big.
Also practice on something before you do it on the car.

Touch up paint pen will work. It probably won't match perfectly, but it should hide it enough to not be noticeable to others. Great tips above; practice on a separate surface to get the application process down, and clean the area well (use an alcohol wipe for a final cleaning before application).

You should thank your friend for quickly ending the suspense of when the first scuff will happen ;) ... Now you don't have to worry about it anymore! And it's in a nice mostly hidden spot too.

You'll need a paint pen anyway for the rock chips in the hood that will be coming soon. It happens.

For me, I like to keep my cars looking nice. I wash them and wax them and put some effort into it but mine are go-cars not show-cars :) . Little rock chips and life "character" scuffs get paint pens mostly to protect the metal underneath or some rubbing compound.

Also, keep in mind that the Mazda soul red color is not easy (even for a professional shop) to fix right and you have to be very careful who you choose and ask questions before you entrust a shop to a paint repair on yours.

Why would you be mad at your friend? Crap happens. Be happy it's inside where it won't be noticeable from the outside.
Wait till you get your first ding.

The touch up pen will only place paint in the scratch. You need to use at least a 3 step touch up kit that will fill and then paint the scratch.

I agree with Hyflyer. At some point you will have to reconcile yourself to accepting that the appearance will not be perfect. That is the first of many paint imperfections to come, and in a relatively inconspicuous location.

Dr. Colorchip matches pretty well and is probably easier to use than a paint pen. 15 minutes of touch up and nobody but you will notice it.

I'd probably opt for some carbon fiber film for protection to cover up that scratch. You're otherwise gonna look at that scratch everyday.

I'd probably opt for some carbon fiber film for protection to cover up that scratch. You're otherwise gonna look at that scratch everyday.
Ya and then he will have a reminder about it with the vinyl. I must say I have done that myself. Ha!

But really why is it so hard to spend 30-4- buck and a couple hours work and permanently repair it so it does not show at all?

The nice thing about fixing a scratch on an inner surface of a Soul Red car is that the 3rd layer used on the exterior of the car isn't there. You can see the color difference easily. It should be easier to match than the exterior with the tinted clear coat 3rd layer.

Does the scratch look less noticeable whey you wet it? If so it may mostly disappear by using a polishing compound.

Thanks for all the responses! I wasn't mad at my friend.
But really why is it so hard to spend 30-4- buck and a couple hours work and permanently repair it so it does not show at all?
To be honest, I don't really know where to get it fixed. The problem with Google Maps is that there is at least one horrible review for every Auto Paint Shop I check.
I also work during the day so I would need to take a day off.
Anyways, I am going to try the Touch-Up pen today. Will update.

Thanks for all the responses! I wasn't mad at my friend.

To be honest, I don't really know where to get it fixed. The problem with Google Maps is that there is at least one horrible review for every Auto Paint Shop I check.
I also work during the day so I would need to take a day off.
Anyways, I am going to try the Touch-Up pen today. Will update.
It is a touch up PEN set. Not just a paint PEN like most are talking about. The set comes with 3 PENs one is primer to fill the scratch, the next is the actual PAINT and the third is a clear. This is soooo easy to use. The only thing you need is a sheet each of wet sandpaper 220 ,1000,2000, some masking tape, old newspapers and car polish to finish it up. Its so simple and will only take a couple hours depending on drying time of each step.

A single paint pen on that scratch in your jam is going to look like a bad fingernail painting. HA!

One last thing if you use a "PAINT PEN" and you don't like the results it will be more work to correct that. You would need to sand out that paint first before trying another attempt to repair the scratch.

There are a few places that offer the Paint PEN set/kit that I have been referring to.

Attachments

• IMG_20220303_140338028_2.jpg
    IMG_20220303_140338028_2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20220303_140401205_2.jpg
    IMG_20220303_140401205_2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 117
It is a touch up PEN set. Not just a paint PEN like most are talking about. The set comes with 3 PENs one is primer to fill the scratch, the next is the actual PAINT and the third is a clear. This is soooo easy to use. The only thing you need is a sheet each of wet sandpaper 220 ,1000,2000, some masking tape, old newspapers and car polish to finish it up. Its so simple and will only take a couple hours depending on drying time of each step.

A single paint pen on that scratch in your jam is going to look like a bad fingernail painting. HA!

One last thing if you use a "PAINT PEN" and you don't like the results it will be more work to correct that. You would need to sand out that paint first before trying another attempt to repair the scratch.

There are a few places that offer the Paint PEN set/kit that I have been referring to.
This would be the ideal solution but one, it was too late when I saw this message, and two it's unfortunately too cold outside for me to work on the car for a couple of hours. I had sent the dealership an email with the photo asking for suggestions, they called me today and said I can use a paint pen. The pen has two ends with "Top Coat" and "Base Coat", and I was done in around an hour.
This is FAR from perfect, but I think it's good enough. I'm rarely the passenger in my car, and I'll forget about it in a while. At least it won't rust.
IMG_2545.jpeg

This would be the ideal solution but one, it was too late when I saw this message, and two it's unfortunately too cold outside for me to work on the car for a couple of hours. I had sent the dealership an email with the photo asking for suggestions, they called me today and said I can use a paint pen. The pen has two ends with "Top Coat" and "Base Coat", and I was done in around an hour.
This is FAR from perfect, but I think it's good enough. I'm rarely the passenger in my car, and I'll forget about it in a while. At least it won't rust.
View attachment 308159
Nobody but you is ever going to notice that again. Try to put it out of your mind :)

Well done on the paint repair.

Your job turned out better than mine. On the passenger side door sill, my wife with her rear buckle boots, did a number on the paint before we realized where these scratches were coming from.

I touched the 5 or 6 scratches up with the correct Mazda color pen. It's noticeable but protected.

Back