Fixing paint surface on spoiler

Matt V

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
The paint surface on my sunburst yellow spoiler is horrible, there are tons of sun faded spots and it has been drastically getting worse lately (the common clearcoat failure problem). I'm thinking since it's the very top layer doing this, I can sand down that layer and then cut/buff the layer following the top one to get it to near factory condition again.

If there are any other suggestions I would like to hear them.

EDIT: I've also considered painting the spoiler black if the problem is not fixable.

Last edited:
are you planning gloss black for like a semi flat finish?
if its not repairable.

I think gloss black just like my other trim pieces (key trim and rear valance). Beats the cost of getting it repainted by a paint shop.

check out my fs section i have a perfect wing for you it only had about 2500 miles on it then i took it off so no sun spots here

I don't have the money to buy a new spoiler right now, I think I'm just gonna repaint it then buy a DG carbon fiber spoiler in the future.

Anyone have a picture of a P5 with a black spoiler?

Last edited:
yea i just looked, i know someone has a black spoiler
i just cant think of who it is exactly
it was posted in the "best photo" thread...it was a long time ago tho
im thinkn sumtime in early 09 or late 08.......check car domain. usually there are alot of guys on there too..

Beat me to it...yep...it is Tre...IMO though, I don't really like it by itself...I think it would look much better if the roof was done as well...

Beat me to it...yep...it is Tre...IMO though, I don't really like it by itself...I think it would look much better if the roof was done as well...

That's what I was thinking. I think I'll sand down the peeling layer and then re-clear it myself, that would work. I'm just wondering what grit of sand paper would get it down enough but not go into the next layer of paint.

just wetsand it with high grit paper (off the car) to knock down the imperfections and then use a rattle can clearcoat... it'll keep it looking decent for now, since you plan on replacing it eventually anyway.

You could always buy another spoiler with no damage...I picked a new one up for $45 shipped and it is in great shape...

just wetsand it with high grit paper (off the car) to knock down the imperfections and then use a rattle can clearcoat... it'll keep it looking decent for now, since you plan on replacing it eventually anyway.

I'll wetsand it with 1000 grit and then spray 2-3 light to medium coats of clear, then buff/cut it once it cures. I can make it turn out decent since my friend just got a full on Makita buffer.

Yeah I think I'll do 4-5 light coats to get it nice and shiny, and to protect it. Would 1000 or 2000 grit be better or something like 800?

depends how bad your flaking is as to where you start... If you plan on not screwing up the basecoat, I'd stay 1000 and move up for a finish sanding.

you guys know that the yellow color on the p5'sis a single stage paint job right...?

that means there isnt any clear coat, just paint
but yea i would use 800, 1000 is very hard to sand evenly with unless you use a sanding block, or at least to me it is
i would honestly try the buffing with some cutting compound and then polish first

Back