First step in a long journey. 97 KLDE in a Protege. New member....new thread.

bonylad

:
1997 Ford Probe GT
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?p=1924185155#post1924185155

This is the car in question.

Car has rust in both rocker panels, my father says it could be fixed.....but the idea of a V6 in a four door Protg is really appealing to me. I have a mechanically sound machine here. Engine runs, but makes a ticking noise....which I have looked into and found out is a timing belt tensioner. So ordered up a kit. With the engine coming out, I can do it there and make it a whole lot easier....plus clean it up some. Maybe paint it up and make it look good. Im not going for a Honda-Tech build here with Rywire this and Mugen that. Lol.

Some pics.

The car......

IMG_0826_zps6usczj2u.jpg

Low miles.....I reckon.

IMG_0830_zpsaaki02jt.jpg

Looks good till you pull the rocker trim off.......

IMG_0835_zpsqanoyvno.jpg

Ill take some engine pics specifically today and update.

EDIT: This works out actually. Because I bought a timing belt kit, and a OBX UDP for the engine. So Im not losing out of any investment there. I did buy a fuel filter for a probe along with new plugs, probably wont work....the filter I mean. Scored some new(ish) NGK wires too.

Anyone know if I need the "burp" tank too?

Last edited:
Lol.....yeah I wish it was in good shape. I would have kept it.

Update.

At lunch, went home and pulled airbox. Disconnected most of the harness on the drivers side. Disconnected starter, pulled radiator and brought here to the shop to drain it and clean it off.

Off topic....picked up a rare game I have been looking for.......this is multiplayer! Get some pizza rolls, and some dew.....charge up the Vape......mmmmm good times. So good my 5 year old loves it!

IMG_0999_zpsh1u12mg6.jpg

Pix for views.....

IMG_1041_zps8ubvpn3z.jpg

IMG_1042_zpsx6h6allx.jpg

IMG_1043_zpsblpufiob.jpg

Got this out as an assembly.........pretty stoked. Scuse the grass.....NC winter here is off.....grass growing in friggin January. I may have to mow....literally :(

IMG_1044_zpsgeod8z9o.jpg

Last edited:
Cleaned up the radiator/fan assembly. Put it in storage for a while. On to some other bits to pull. I will see what I can get out at lunch today.

Also, new parts......expecting the timing belt kit any day now.

Pix:

IMG_1045_zpsew76hdrg.jpg

OBX UDP

IMG_1037_zpswsmp3ysp.jpg

Sorry for the crap pics. Took in a hurry....:(

Haha, I haven't seen that game in....a long time. I don't even wanna say how long.

Looks like you're making progress, even in this crappy weather. Did you find a P5 roller yet?

Nah. Not yet. Lol.

Going to pull this, get rid of the probe.............clear up space then search for a car.

Did mostly get the fuse box out.....or loose. Weather sucks, working on my lunch break even more, but that's about the only time I get. I have the weekend off, so I hope to make some progress.

IMG_1048_zpso2wahddi.jpg

image_zpsihvm6v87.jpeg

image_zps3shus2kr.jpeg

Mostly out now. Although I am sure I am doing it wrong. I mean half the harness I'm pulling is probe specific crap. Anyone got a link or info on what can be paired down or rather a dead minimum ?

Im doing this wrong. :(

Apparently the harness I need needs to come out from the passenger side...? Much smaller and shorter. Apparently I have been slaving away on the ENTIRE harness.....what a dumbass.

I am doing it right....now :)

Pulled the engine harness. Its going to be gone through and made purty.

So far pulled:

Engine harness
VAM
ECM
Radiator assembly (hoses, fans, rad, wiring)

Next on the list, shift linkages.

Pics of the results, also a pic of the box of goodies (NGK wires, Denso plugs, and a fuel filter)

Almost there....not really. Ford decided to bolt the harness to the firewall for some reason, and all the wires caught on SOMETHING pulling it out. Had to jack the car up and get under to release them and help along.

IMG_1060_zpsrcidggf8.jpg

Voila! Plugged in the VAM and ECM for a group photo. :) Happy family! I will clean up the loom some and show pics of that.

IMG_1065_zps46qdlra0.jpg

Wanted NGK plugs, but they only had Denso.....fuel filter is Probe specific, so I probably cant use it and I lost my receipt. :p

IMG_1066_zpsepqikaxu.jpg

Last edited:
This car hates me. I broke THREE ratchets last night getting the crossbracket out which needs to come out to remove the y pipe to pull the shift linkage.......THREE racthets! Granted two were crap...but my good one. :(

This car hates me. I broke THREE ratchets last night getting the crossbracket out which needs to come out to remove the y pipe to pull the shift linkage.......THREE racthets! Granted two were crap...but my good one. :(

That's what breaker bars are for...

Anyone ever wonder what a KLDE timing belt kit looks like from ebay.....................wonder no more! Pretty nice quality :) Metal pulleys, solid parts....pretty happy :)

IMG_1072_zpsuf2xrbam.jpg

That's what breaker bars are for...

Yeah. I didn't have one at that time......and wanted it done. Like I said....two were crap so not worried about it. Oh well.....reason to upgrade!

BTW, I went to the shop today and borrowed a techs - 1/2 breaker bar with 17 mm impact socket.....worked like a boss. Time to buy one!

Pulled the shift linkages out.......good shape. Gonna hit em up with some paint after I clean them up some. Perhaps new bushings?

IMG_1077_zpsomgwtwjy.jpg

Im scrapping the idea. Im not going to hunt down MX3 this and MX3 that to put in another car I dont even have to make one car which is marginally quicker than some of the bolted on ones I have seen here. This swap is better suited to somebody who has space/time and more money. OR at least to swap in a car in a state where this isnt an issue or race car or IDK.....lots of possibilities! Selling the whole swap....hell the whole car for 600 and you can take it ALL!

Thanks for the support. Id still be doing it, if it wasnt for NC and its stupid inspection laws.....:(

Back