First oil change (bought used) - questions

:
East Greenbush, NY
:
2021 CX-5 GTR
(MS6)

Has anyone used 0W40 oil in their cars? It gets as low as -10 where I live, and -20 where my parents are, I'm considering going to 0W40 if I can find it.

Has anyone used the Mobil1 filters for our cars? I didn't see the part number listed in the stickied thread, but it's listed on Mobil's website as well as Autozone's.

Is the oil change any different from the 6i oil change as detailed here? They didn't talk about the crush washer in this how to, but I ran across a lot of grumbling about it from some Milan owner on the Fusion/Milan forums in my Googling. Where does that come into play? I don't do my oil changes, my dad does, but I need to read up on this so that I can keep an eye on him. The drain plug o-ring - should that come with the filter or does it have to be bought separately?

Last edited:
I wouldn't. Even in the coldest environment, the oil will still warm up to an operating temperature of a couple hundred degrees. I ran 5w in Montana where it got colder than that and didn't have any trouble. Today's multi-viscosity oil is pretty resilient in all sorts of temperatures.

If you buy the Mazda filter, both O-rings needed for the filter cover are included, I can't speak for other brands. Crush washer goes on the oil pan drain plug, most dealers today will include this when you buy a filter. For oil weight, look in your owner's manual. It will provide a listing of recommended weights across temperatures.

i'm still using the same crush washer on the drain plug with no drips or anyother problems. any filter i bought came with a large o ring for the filter.

carajo this is the second winter i have had in my speed 6 using 5w30...i live in poughkeepsie ny so your only an hour north of me. i change my oil every 5 months since i never get over 2000 miles in a 5 month period...the oil i like is the mobil 1 synthetic extended performance (see link below) - i dont see you needing to use a 0w-40 and also if you still have a warrenty i wouldnt mess with the oil...i called mazda of middletown where i got my car and they told me to use only 5w30 synthetic oil and told me that using any other oil will void my warranty unless advised by mazda.

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

I'm running Amsoil 5w-40 in the car with Wix (Napa) filters. These come with both O-rings needed to replace them on the filter cover. The crush washer for the drain plug is replaced every spring.

I'm no oil expert, but I think I'd stick with 5w-30 or 5w-40. Your oil will warm up enough and shouldn't be an issue.

Back