First MSP BooBoo. Anyone try to paint match yet?

Teamzero

I was having quite a good day yesterday when some ditz from upstairs in my building comes into my office and tells me that she hit my car. Wonderful. She was trying to back a company van between my car and another car and somehow ended up running into me. After pulling her limbs off then shouting at the remaining torso how "if she did not weigh 600 pounds, she might have been able to turn her fat head far enough around to see that she was hitting something" I finally calmed down a bit to look at the damage. Small scratch on mirror (luckily they bend) and some deep scuff marks around the wheel well. Metal does not appear to be bent or damaged though.

Went for an estimate this morning and after 10 minutes trying to convince the appraiser that the car was actually a factory color, I got a total repair bill of $689.00. Glad I'm not paying for that one.

Anyway, the point of this thread was just to see if anyone else has tried to match the orange color yet for a repair or something. This is one of the best body shops in the area but still worried that they are never going to be able to match the paint. Car goes in next Tuesday. Should I worry about it?

Thanks!

Make her fat ass pay for it and tell her to cut down on the burgers so she can loose weight so she can turn her fat neck to look back.

Naw I haven't tried yet to color match.

Not to sound pessimistic, but even if they are a good body shop, I would anticipate problems.

Look how the various pieces of the car don't even match each other. They were obviously painted at different times.

Look at the rear of the car, and compare the wing, trunk, bumper cover, and rear skirt.

I don't know about yours, but mine are all different.

The good part is, since none of the parts match, if this one doesn't either, it won't be as obvious.

MS MSP #143

I actually asked the repair people about the different shades of orange on the car. The appraiser woman (with a voice deeper then Barry White) had some sort of technical term for that. Metalic Inversion??? Or something like that... Supposedly, that is what happens when you try and use a metallic paint on both metal and plastic. She claims that the paint will not only sit differently on the body part but the reflective nature will also be different. Being that my bumper covers (which should have been painted at the same time with the car) don't match perfectly, it does make some sense. As for her term.... I think she was just blowing smoke up my ...... :)

I think it looks kinda cool how the colour varies like that. Exposure to direct or indirect sun does similar effects.

I took the car to the Mazda body shop and the manager told me that he didnt have that paint listed on his system. I got the touch up paint ordered in for some stone chips and its not a perfect match. The body shop guys tell me its because the paint job is a tri coat metalic.

YES! the paint can be matched!
I already had som paint work done on the rear door of my car and the "DEALERSHIP" matched it perfectly! I was worried too! It does however require a litlle extra blending to get it right!And the color difference you notice on your plastic pieces and metal pieces is normal!The two different materials "RETAIN" and "REFLECT" the color differently.As long as you go to a "VERY" reputable and experienced body shop ,you should have no problems!
Hope this helps ease you worries!
Matt

Thanks Matt... I'll try and get some before and after pics posted for next Friday. Ugghhh... 3 days without my MSP. Guess it's good I didn't sell my 99CivicSi yet. BTW, anyone want one? $9500

how bad are the scratches? can they be wet sanded out? Then there is no paint matching to be concerned with. I've seen body shops do some wild s*** with wet sanding. However, our cars paint is thin, so they can only sand so much.

I had my front bumper replaced and you would never know it. The paint is flawless. TJ's Auto Svc. Cleve, OH. (440) 439-4659 Jill is the secretary. Paul is the main man. Excellent place!
1244 (mspo)

Scratches do not "appear" too bad but there are places where there is no paint. So I guess it needs it.

Thanks for the confidence....

How about this one? (Man, I want to kick this woman's a__.) After the company found out how much this was going to cost to fix, they took my assigned parking spot away claiming that it was a dangerous area. So instead of fixing the problem with everyone else, I get moved back to public parking and door ding city. What kind of justice is this??????

Also never got an apology from this "fellow co-worker." Nice people in this world...

thats bulls***..........................what they should do is move the spaces for company cars away from the assigned spaces. they shouldnt be anywhere near each other because people dont care if they trash company cars. for example, ever notice how cab drivers are so wreckless? thats because its not their car, so they dont care if they **** it up. if they drove their own cars, it would be totally different.

A fellow MSPer in Toronto was rear ended just hard enough to require his bumper cover to be painted.
The shop matched the colour perfectly, but they did a better job on the paint than the factory did. Paint was much smoother and appeared to have more coats.
Other than that it was perfect.

You know, I had the same thing happen but that was a while ago. I got rear ended. It was a scratch but enough to have to re-surface the bumper.

I also had a little scratch on my front bumper close to my right fender which i asked the body shop to touch up while they worked on my rear bumper.

When I got my baby back it looked pretty good. I told them excellent job. COurse the day wasn't sunny at all. Now in direct sunlight you can see two different colours of orange. The rear bumper isn't so bad. They only painted the rear of the bumper not the side of it. So the paints blend together. However the front bumper is another story. s*** it's horrible. You can barely see any pearl and you can tell the orange isn't even close. Only at night people can't tell the difference. But it they look directly at it, they will notice it right away.

The worst part it was a small scratch which touch up paint can cover it up. They painted the whole side bumper. It totally screwed up. I'm pissed off and I'm still in the process of trying to get the shop to fix it. However i'm rather hesitant about fixing it cause I don't want them to screw it up anymore. =(

Supposedly, they are going to try and blend it to make it match. So the whole fender will get paint, then a little hood and door blend. This should be interesting if nothing else. Shop guarentees and warrenties all of their work so if it is no good I'll make them do it again.

omg, I hate that word....BLEND. That's just another way of saying we're not only going to screw up the paint where the scratch is, but screw up every panel around it too.

Make sure, for the love of GOD, that these guys see this paint in direct sunlight so they realize that is has a lot of pearl in it, and that they don't put some flat ass peachy paint on it that only matches the rest of the car when the car is only in the same light as when they painted it. How's that for a long sentence :)

I'm serious.

Hey Y'all, I have a couple of paint chips on my hood near the crease on the passenger side. I tried to touch it up and it was impossible to match with the touch up paint they sent us for filling out the survey. Mind you...I have a certificate in auto-body, and my best friend is a professional in the business. This car should have been shot with at least two coats of color, and two to three coats of clear top coat, before ever leaving the factory. This car has one coat of primer(black) which should have been gray, one shot of "TWO PART" metallic color, and one shot of Clear top coat.
My assumption is that they tried once again to save production costs. This(to me) is unacceptable, as well as the clunk and hesitation problems.

ps... We are currently working on getting the right mix together and I will post on this subject again when we have it completed.(2thumbs)

Last edited:
The paint is god-awful on our cars.

I have so many hood and bumper chips i lost count.

I have installed a hood deflector, now just the bumper gets it.

And like mentioned above, black primer.

Way to go Mazda cheap-ass dumb-asses!

MS MSP #143

This pased weekend (sunday fatherday) my step mom backed in to my car. 2,179.21 worth of damange. she hit the driver side door and rear door i need 2 new doors they do not seal.

Back