Control Arm Shears off on a 2023 CX-50 with 2k miles

My opinion still stands

If this occurred to me I would be reporting to NHTSA

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 1.43.33 AM.png

My opinion still stands

If this occurred to me I would be reporting to NHTSA

View attachment 323843
It's absolutely worthy of reporting. Unless other members here think there's a possibility of being sued for slander, liable, defamation, and just not being a nice Mazda owner?

Yeah front wheels are folding in off New Mazdas left and right -- Mazda said it hit something , the Insurance wont pay and the dealer wont either .....yeah sounds totally plausible-
The OP did NOT say the insurance won't pay. You are really inflating this Beyond Belief. Just let it go.

When she again contacts her insurance adjuster regarding this, the advice is to let insurance pay so she can get her vehicle back, insurance will legally go after Mazda to get their payout reimbursed but unfortunately, she will most likely be out of the deductible that she has to pay.

Looks too thick and the wrong color to be gear oil.
It looks like gear oil with water mixed in it? Really weird. I dunno. The more I think about it a wheel assy can take a hell of a hit and show no rim or tire deformation. Depends on what it hits. If its blunt, it can sustain no damage and also transfer an incredible amount of force thru that knuckle to the attach points. Which are only the two bolts on the strut and the ball joint. I have had a few situations on motocross bikes where landing hard on a factory laced wheel has pulled out the spokes from the hub with zero damage to the rim. And just last month my girlfriend t-boned a tree head on with her fat tire ebike. Only damage was the forks bent straight back. Rim/tire/wheel were perfect. I am leaning towards it hitting something stright on. My 2 cents

I have a 2015 CX5 and when I purchased it, it was hands down the worst purchasing experience I've had. It's a long story but after several delays with the car being delivered to the dealership, it finally arrived...at the wrong dealership. And during transit they claimed they had "lost" track of it.

The car has been great aside from just having to replace the LCAs on the front but I've always wondered if something maybe happened to the car in transit that they maybe had to repair...obviously without proof this thinking goes into conspiratorial talk but I don't know how a dealership can suddenly not know where their inventory is.

Anyway, I guess my point is that who knows what happened with this car before the owner took delivery of it. My guess is nothing and it really is a manufacturing defect. Those ball joints seem to be the Achilles heel of the Skyactiv generation of Mazdas for some reason.

It looks like gear oil with water mixed in it? Really weird. I dunno. The more I think about it a wheel assy can take a hell of a hit and show no rim or tire deformation. Depends on what it hits. If its blunt, it can sustain no damage and also transfer an incredible amount of force thru that knuckle to the attach points. Which are only the two bolts on the strut and the ball joint. I have had a few situations on motocross bikes where landing hard on a factory laced wheel has pulled out the spokes from the hub with zero damage to the rim. And just last month my girlfriend t-boned a tree head on with her fat tire ebike. Only damage was the forks bent straight back. Rim/tire/wheel were perfect. I am leaning towards it hitting something stright on. My 2 cents
Was thinking the same, although I don't know where the water would come from, unless it's antifreeze or something...Doesn't look like it rained or anything.

That’s absolutely nuts. Two brand new vehicles and we’re watching this unfold on a forum. Waiting for the inevitable recall, sincerely hope folks don’t get hurt from this.

This definitely started to look like the fallen rock arm problem on 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation first reported here by @Go Hawks:

Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and Mazda6 models

it eventually forced Mazda to issue a safety recall.

IMO this issue is more serious and dangerous, and Mazda can’t just bury their head in the sand. I hope this problem is only happening on CX-50, since the CX-50 is assembled in the US, and the LCAs could be from a US supplier which is different from Mazda’s other Japanese made models.

Mazda " corporate " knew about this long ago - and has dismissed it -- You think if there was a major defect they would be initiating a recall immediately-? absolutely
Really? See my post #51 above about falling rocker arm recall on 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation. It took almost a year with countless effort by @Go Hawks and others to make Mazda issued a recall.

Even the fuel filler pipe recall happened on my 2016 CX-5 which took a third-party engineering firm in CA reported fuel leak problem after a rear-end collision, and NHTSA made a stop-sale order on CX-5 in Jan. 2016 to make Mazda came up a temporary solution to fix the issue to have the stop-sale order released.

Yeah, I think Mazda won’t initiate a safety recall immediately after they found a major safety defect. And to be fair, almost all car manufactures would act like this.

All it takes is one crappy part to cause a huge huge problem. Well in relationship to 2021 high oil consumption its 8 crapy parts

WTF?? The way the NC incident reads the ball joint didnt break. It pulled thru the LCA and remained in the knuckle?? Thats absolutely nutz. I pictured the ball joint shearing in half. Jesus.

WTF?? The way the NC incident reads the ball joint didnt break. It pulled thru the LCA and remained in the knuckle?? Thats absolutely nutz. I pictured the ball joint shearing in half. Jesus.
The ball joint sits in a nylon casing in the LCA, so if the nylon is cracked/impacted/worn/damaged, it can come out. That's what happened to my son's 2014, though it had over 200K miles on it, so not too surprised.

20220604_2002592-jpg.310521

Yeah, most failed ball joint incidents I’ve read and this CX-50 by OP are the ball joint stud got pulled out of its socket, like @RedBaron‘s picture shown.

OP’s CX-50:

25C51E13-9C2E-4C3B-9721-82E4E5161F48.jpeg

Saw this video and thought I’d post it. Same failure on an old Accord but check out the milky oil on this one. Not sure what caused this or if it’s just aeration and it just takes forever for all of the bubbles to pop? Who knows:

Saw this video and thought I’d post it. Same failure on an old Accord but check out the milky oil on this one. Not sure what caused this or if it’s just aeration and it just takes forever for all of the bubbles to pop? Who knows:

That's pretty much what it looks like after it's been in there a while. I'm just surprised it looks like that on a newer Mazda, unless they change the lube type. Could've also been mixed with some condensation going on inside for a long time.

Back