2017~2024 Finally I'm A 2018 Mazda CX-5 Owner

As requested, a quick review:

Went for a night drive around my area last night. Light traffic, speed limits of either 50km/h (31.6mph) or 60km/h (37.5mph). The area consists of numerous inclined roads and some straight roads. Kept at the posted speed limit. The total distance covered was 20 kilometres (12.42 miles) and the urban/city fuel consumption figure was 8.2 L/100km (28.68 USmpg) which was below the official figure of 9.2 L/100km (25.57 USmpg). No MRCC with Stop 'N' Go used.

Interior noise levels are very low compared to my departed 2015 Mazda 6 with the exception of some wind noise around the B-pillar and even then the noise appeared to be coming from a distance and not right next to the CX-5. This is due to the slimline weathershields I have. Even on concrete roads at the bottom of my road, the noise coming into the cabin is considerably less that the 6. Well done Mazda.

Love the ALH headlights. Beam is white and crisp and goes a far distance. High beams come on when needed and works well.

As requested, a quick review:

Went for a night drive around my area last night. Light traffic, speed limits of either 50km/h (31.6mph) or 60km/h (37.5mph). The area consists of numerous inclined roads and some straight roads. Kept at the posted speed limit. The total distance covered was 20 kilometres (12.42 miles) and the urban/city fuel consumption figure was 8.2 L/100km (28.68 USmpg) which was below the official figure of 9.2 L/100km (25.57 USmpg). No MRCC with Stop 'N' Go used.

Interior noise levels are very low compared to my departed 2015 Mazda 6 with the exception of some wind noise around the B-pillar and even then the noise appeared to be coming from a distance and not right next to the CX-5. This is due to the slimline weathershields I have. Even on concrete roads at the bottom of my road, the noise coming into the cabin is considerably less that the 6. Well done Mazda.

Love the ALH headlights. Beam is white and crisp and goes a far distance. High beams come on when needed and works well.

Good to hear some feedback. I have seen several reports now that the CX-5 is right up there with one of the quietest cabins even when compared to the luxury marques. Would love to have the HUD. How's the Traffic Sign Recognition? Didn't get the Kuroi Sports pack?

Good to hear some feedback. I have seen several reports now that the CX-5 is right up there with one of the quietest cabins even when compared to the luxury marques. Would love to have the HUD. How's the Traffic Sign Recognition? Didn't get the Kuroi Sports pack?

Traffic Sign Recognition works well. As you know it uses both camera and Navigation

No didn't get Kuroi sports pack.

Does it ever get any higher?

Some outer city roads (low residential area) hits 70km/h (43.50mph) whilst freeway/motorway speeds are 80km/h (49.71mph), 90km/h (55.92mph), 100km/h (62.14mph) maxing out at 110km/h (68.35mph)

Manual mode is ok..... I’ve been driving manuals for years though. It’s just not the same.

To tell you the truth, I didn't use it that much on my 6 and probably won't on the CX-5.

Used power mode more than manual mode but that was also not that much

To tell you the truth, I didn't use it that much on my 6 and probably won't on the CX-5.

Used power mode more than manual mode but that was also not that much

Yea the transmission is quick to downshift so I don’t feel the need. And it’s not the kinda car to drive around slowly with that engine screaming. I could see it being useful in mountain driving to save the brakes though.

Yea the transmission is quick to downshift so I don’t feel the need. And it’s not the kinda car to drive around slowly with that engine screaming. I could see it being useful in mountain driving to save the brakes though.

It's a pretty good transmission and (iagree) it would be useful for mountain driving

It's a pretty good transmission and (iagree) it would be useful for mountain driving

Yea as far as knowing what gear to be in I think it’s one of the best. And shifts are fairly quick. Just not BMW ZF or DSG quick. Pretty smooth too.

I think Toyota is copying it with their new direct shift transmissions too.

Yea as far as knowing what gear to be in I think it’s one of the best. And shifts are fairly quick. Just not BMW ZF or DSG quick. Pretty smooth too.

I think Toyota is copying it with their new direct shift transmissions too.

Can't stand DSG's. Too slow witted and jerky at low speed.

Can't stand DSG's. Too slow witted and jerky at low speed.

Needs to be the wet clutch version imo. Much smoother than dry. Also programming in GTI might be different as well. But those shifts are so fast. No interruption in power at all.

I definitely think that the Skyactiv AT is great though. Just very well dialed in.

I have during normal acceleration but not for power acceleration. Waiting to put a few more kms on it before I try

If you have any winding and/or hilly roads it works quite well. Just like you, I keep mine in auto and it shifts fine. The area I am in is hilly and some roads go back to pre- war so they are steep, winding and narrow to boot. One of those is close to the house so I travel that often.

Some outer city roads (low residential area) hits 70km/h (43.50mph) whilst freeway/motorway speeds are 80km/h (49.71mph), 90km/h (55.92mph), 100km/h (62.14mph) maxing out at 110km/h (68.35mph)

Not sure where you are exactly but I’ve heard that Sydney and Melbourne get pretty clogged up traffic wise so trying to get any speed up means getting way out of the urban center. Here in Seattle our freeways are mostly parking lots. It’s typical of most metro areas these days.

In Manila we stay at a hotel right across from the airport. We can see the active runways. It takes 45-60 minutes to get to the terminal. That’s a extreme example. Bangkok is horrid as well Jakarta is the same.

Needs to be the wet clutch version imo. Much smoother than dry. Also programming in GTI might be different as well. But those shifts are so fast. No interruption in power at all.

I definitely think that the Skyactiv AT is great though. Just very well dialed in.

(iagree)

If you have any winding and/or hilly roads it works quite well. Just like you, I keep mine in auto and it shifts fine. The area I am in is hilly and some roads go back to pre- war so they are steep, winding and narrow to boot. One of those is close to the house so I travel that often.

We don't have narrow/winding roads in my area. Just hilly

Back