FINALLY DONE!!! ...for now.

Looks good, I'm just starting out...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123754203

I'm doing a lot more, but I like your clean install, and the MDF trick was nice too.

As for the back hatch wires run, I'm already going to jerry rig something, I'll have about 1" around worth of speaker wires and I DON'T want to try to run them through the back hatch stock wire harness.

Cheers and thanks for share! (drinks)

Peace!(rei)

Looks good, I'm just starting out...

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123754203

I'm doing a lot more, but I like your clean install, and the MDF trick was nice too.

As for the back hatch wires run, I'm already going to jerry rig something, I'll have about 1" around worth of speaker wires and I DON'T want to try to run them through the back hatch stock wire harness.

Cheers and thanks for share! (drinks)

Peace!(rei)

Yeah, i've been lurking around and been watching your build. Good work man!
Thanks again guys :D

Wish I found this thread earlier...Amazing install, pics & info...Great thread...Thanks for sharing! (2thumbs)

Thanks for this thread, I managed to install back-up camera on my 5! (yippy) Special thanks for the pics!

Ohh, getting the cable through the rear hatch was a pain. I finally got it by pushing a wire cover from a bicycle through first. Then taped the cable to the wire cover and pulled it through. Power comes from the back-up light. Works great!

Now I can't decide whether I should install a small itx-size computer or invest in some 2-din touchscreen multimedia head unit with navi etc...

Gonna have another update in a few days...
Crutchfield is having a sale on Infinity 6x8s.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086820CS/Infinity-Reference-6820cs.html?c=3
just getting a pair for the front speakers. I plan on pushing them with the old 2 channel orion amp I was using for the sub in the beginning of the thread. Should balance out the system nicely.

I know you can find those speakers on E-prey a little cheaper, but they want an arm and a leg for shipping just to the continental US. I didn't even want to ask about shipping to Hawaii. Crutchfield is only charging me about $10 to ship the speakers here.

Last edited:
B!

Keep us posted ! (usa)

Peace!(rei)

P.S. I'm on hold for a time, X-mas and wife is having a cow over the cost of a few things. (whistle)

Okay, now I'm done...
With the audio side anyway (whistle)
I finally got my Infinity Reference 6820cs component speakers. Only comes with enough speaker wire for the tweeters tho, which I thought was strange.
001.jpg

It also comes with a few different mounts for the tweeter, so there are a few possibilities. I wanted to use the mount that allows you to aim the tweeter.
002.jpg

It's nearly the same size as the grille for the factory tweeter, so I decided to cut out the factory hole. I started with a dremel tool and rough cut the opening.
003.jpg

Taking my time and trying to keep it round and even, I enlarged it until I could fit a drum sander in. Once it got bigger, I moved on to the next bigger size drum. This will help you make your opening as round as possible. If you try this, go slow and check size often.
004.jpg

Once I got it to the correct size, I sanded the grille flush with a wood block and some sandpaper.
005.jpg

Fits nice and covers the remnants of the stock grille perfectly.
006.jpg

The threaded ring is beveled on one side, and it fits onto the stock mount perfectly.
007.jpg

008.jpg

The cups allow you to point the tweeter in any direction.
009.jpg

010.jpg

Not feeling the silver, so it got a light sand with some 400 grit paper, and its off to paint.
011.jpg

Much better. Just a light coat of flat black spray paint.
012.jpg

My hardware bag was missing one of the nuts that secures the pivoting mounts, so luckily I had some M4 locknuts which worked better anyway.
013.jpg

014.jpg

I reapplied the foam backing with some Super77 spray adhesive.
015.jpg

Not many places for mounting the crossover, but there is perfect spot beneath the armrest area. There is plenty of room between the panel and the door to let it breathe.
016.jpg

I am not going to go over panel removal, or speaker installation since it has been done before, and is pretty straight forward.
017.jpg

Make sure the crossover is not going to fall off when you slam your door.
Crossover is secured with some crazy strong double sided foam mounting tape, and a screw on the inside of the crossover case. If you plan on using mounting tape, make sure you clean the area with some mineral spirits or something first.
All that sliver stuff is just some scrap sound deadener I did want to throw away :D

Of course the $200 Infinity components sound better than the $50 Kenwood 3 way speakers, but the Kenwoods are definitely worth the price especially when using an amp. The Infinity speakers are almost too good. Most of my low quality MP3s sounds like crap now. I don't even want to turn the radio too loud. With a little tuning and adjustment, the component speakers work very nicely with my sub. It is all balanced out nicely now, and is VERY loud. Sub is being pushed by an Orion Cobalt 600.2 amp, and the two Infinity component speakers (2 ohm) up front are being powered buy another smaller Orion Cobalt 300.2 amp. The pair of Kenwood 3 way 6x8 speakers in the back are still running off the HU.
(I am selling a pair of my kenwoods with new Mazda/Ford adaptors if anybody is interested)
019.jpg

Hope you like my final audio install :)

Last edited:
Sweet 'how to' and nice pics...

Question: How hard was it to run the wires through the door to the bodu of the car? Is that rubber hose a b**** or what? past experiances for me, it's been bad.

Thanks!
Peace!(rei)

Mic for the Kenwood bluetooth unit.
0023.JPG

Quick question. In This picture you show your steering wheel with the audio controls. Now with your new head unit can you still us the controls? ie. Volume, Mode for switching between CD's and Radio. adn the Mode to activate the Bluetooth for you phone.

Thanks

I was just showing the mic for the bluetooth unit. You can use the stock steering wheel controls with aftermarket stereos by installing the PAC SWI controller.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SWIJACK/PAC-SWI-JACK.html?search=PAC&ssi=0
I do not have it... yet.
But you can read up on the specs or the reviews to see what it can do. Or search the site.

Quick question. In This picture you show your steering wheel with the audio controls. Now with your new head unit can you still us the controls? ie. Volume, Mode for switching between CD's and Radio. adn the Mode to activate the Bluetooth for you phone.

Thanks

I was just showing the mic for the bluetooth unit. You can use the stock steering wheel controls with aftermarket stereos by installing the PAC SWI controller.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SWIJACK/PAC-SWI-JACK.html?search=PAC&ssi=0
I do not have it... yet.
But you can read up on the specs or the reviews to see what it can do. Or search the site.

Sweet! Thanks for share the link, I tucked that away JUST IN CASE I decide to swap out the stock system (alright) just in case... (drinks)

Peace!(rei)

Great install Bullaculla! Clean and stealth... great qualities in a world with too many thieves!

I'm looking to upgrade our stock OEM MP3/changer head unit with a double-DIN Pioneer AVIC F90BT. My wife (who drives the 5 most often) needs Nav and Bluetooth, and wants iPod connectivity.

What I'm wondering about your install is, the dash kit that Crutchfield sent you, do you know the manufacturer and/or part number for it? It looks like you have the auto climate control and Metra and Scosche have told me that their dash kits don't work for Mazda5's with the auto climate control, only manual.

Any info you can provide would be great!

And thanks for the pic-heavy post it makes my future install job that much easier!

Great install Bullaculla! Clean and stealth... great qualities in a world with too many thieves!

I'm looking to upgrade our stock OEM MP3/changer head unit with a double-DIN Pioneer AVIC F90BT. My wife (who drives the 5 most often) needs Nav and Bluetooth, and wants iPod connectivity.

What I'm wondering about your install is, the dash kit that Crutchfield sent you, do you know the manufacturer and/or part number for it? It looks like you have the auto climate control and Metra and Scosche have told me that their dash kits don't work for Mazda5's with the auto climate control, only manual.

Any info you can provide would be great!

And thanks for the pic-heavy post – it makes my future install job that much easier!

Thanks for the compliments!
This is the dash kit that came free with my HU.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120997509/Mazda-5-In-dash-Receiver-Kit.html?tp=3121

Also, I just installed the Kenwoood KNA G510 GPS. It plugs right into the HU and works great. Totally unnecessary in Hawaii, especially for anyone who was born and raised here, but it looks cool and the HU can support it, so why not!?!?! :D
plus its on sale at crutchfield right now for $200 with free shipping.
Pics soon ;)

Sweet! Thanks for share the link, I tucked that away JUST IN CASE I decide to swap out the stock system (alright) just in case... (drinks)

Peace!(rei)

Keep in mind that the PAC unit will get you everything on the steering wheel but bluetooth back.
That will be up to what ever unit you wind up getting and how it works.

Back