Votes: 59 30.4%
  • K&N Typhoon (both CAI and SRI)

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • Ebay SRI (with K&N filter)

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • Ebay CAI (with K&N filter)

Votes: 20 10.3%

• Total voters
I have an ebay CAI that I am happy with, but it doesn't have a "K&N" filter, just a generic one. I just can't justify spending $250-300 on one when the ebay one cost $60 shipped.

My first intake was an ebay SRI with a K&N filter. In the plastic under the car is a sort of notched cut out vent looking thing. I had a small amp that was just as wide as it. I took the base of the blown amp and bent it around a pole to make a 90 degree curve. Painted it body color and bolted into that cut out below. It forced air from under the car to blow upwards into the K&N from the bottom.

I dyno'd with 117 whp +/- a half horse.

I purchased a Injen CAI from another member and dyno'd again and got 117 WHP +/- a half of a horse.

So over all there wasn't a difference between my CAI & SRI with a redneck ram induction.

Moonman8 said:
where did you pick it up? price?

i've heard of Weapon-R from their engine dampers and air filters but I didn't know they made a full intake system for our cars. Give up some info!

i got mine on ebay for about 200 shipped but the WR site has all kinds of links on where to get them since they don't sell directly.
http://www.weapon-r.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=8388818.20261*F66G72&p_id=646&xm=on&ppinc=search2
they have the pics of the intake but they're not application specific. if you want i can post some pics of mine installed just let me know and i'll get them up when i get a chance. remember i got the Secret Weapon intake not the Dragon. only the Secret Weapon intake has the dual inlet tubing the dyno specs they have there for the Dragon are lower than Secret Weapon. also a good idea for everyone is to wrap your header. even if you don't upgrade your header. it keeps under hood temps WAY cooler than stock with that heat shield. i did mine and huge difference. your SRI will love you for it

Last edited:
Moonman8 said:
I have absolutely no interest in just sound. Even though our engines sound pretty damn mean with an aftermarket intake, function is important especially since the quality intakes are a few hundred dollars.

I might try and remove just the snorkel and see if anything good/bad/nothing happens.

I use the grille as a tool tray too but the mod only removes the passenger side half so I still have a tooltray, just half as big.

I took the whole snorkel assembly and the big noise suppression box off so it was nothing further than just the filter housing. There is no noticable performance difference, but that is my opinion of CAI intakes anyhow.

Taking off that noise suppression box gives you deeper sound from the engine bay. You could actually keep the snorkel and take off the noise suppression box and rig up a way to seal off the hole where the box was to get the same audible effect, but I haven't tried that yet.

buttthrax said:
I took the whole snorkel assembly and the big noise suppression box off so it was nothing further than just the filter housing. There is no noticable performance difference, but that is my opinion of CAI intakes anyhow.

Taking off that noise suppression box gives you deeper sound from the engine bay. You could actually keep the snorkel and take off the noise suppression box and rig up a way to seal off the hole where the box was to get the same audible effect, but I haven't tried that yet.

i did that at first too, but i actully lost hp. i think its bc it was sucking the hot air off the block and making the internails expand just a lil when i put the CAI i gained what i lost and a lil bit more

I have the AEM SRI and i love it! Its nice that it points down and away from the engine sucking in the colder air from underneath the car.

Without reliable dyno figures, this thread isn't going to truly resolve anything.

six_dolla_bill said:
i got mine on ebay for about 200 shipped but the WR site has all kinds of links on where to get them since they don't sell directly.
http://www.weapon-r.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=8388818.20261*F66G72&p_id=646&xm=on&ppinc=search2
they have the pics of the intake but they're not application specific. if you want i can post some pics of mine installed just let me know and i'll get them up when i get a chance. remember i got the Secret Weapon intake not the Dragon. only the Secret Weapon intake has the dual inlet tubing the dyno specs they have there for the Dragon are lower than Secret Weapon. also a good idea for everyone is to wrap your header. even if you don't upgrade your header. it keeps under hood temps WAY cooler than stock with that heat shield. i did mine and huge difference. your SRI will love you for it
i'd like to see some pics because i had looked into those for a very long time but ended up going witht he ebay due to price... got one of those aem dry flow filters tho. it sounds like it'd be a good filter(ughdance) i'll know for sure after a couple years
and can you get the header wrap stuff at a local auto shop?

awsmp5 said:
can you get the header wrap stuff at a local auto shop?

i've also been wondering where to get good heat wrap. I'm probably going to get a header soon and I'm thinking about wrapping it.

you can get header wrap kits on ebay none of my local auto parts spots carried it. DEI is pretty popular. a kit should come with ties,fiberglass wrap(at least 20' just in case you mess up), and silicone coating(not to be mistaken for silicone spray, you'd be surprised). just buy some nice hose clamps though, cause those ties are crap. as for wrapping an already installed header i'd have to suggest to scrap that idea.i guarantee you can get it out,wrap it, and re-install it faster than if you tried to do it while it's installed.
plus you should coat it which is pretty much like spray painting it and you don't want to be doing that under the hood. but then again you don't NEED to coat it either but i suggest it. i'll get those pics of my WR intake on here soon

put on my aem sri yesterday, previously was stock with a K&N filter (which will be for sale soon).

I noticed a little more pull above 5.5 or 6k rpm. Somebody dynoed my setup (aem sri, mazdaspeed axleback) to 4.8 peak hp over stock with a max gain of a little more than that...check the dyno library.

The injen black powder coated cai is pretty hot.. but is it worth the price they want for it? There are obviously going to be quality issues when compared to the generic ebay cai, but are the differences going to impede performance or sound of the intake? In the end it is just a.. pipe with a filter on the end.. ?

gregrego said:
The injen black powder coated cai is pretty hot.. but is it worth the price they want for it? There are obviously going to be quality issues when compared to the generic ebay cai, but are the differences going to impede performance or sound of the intake? In the end it is just a.. pipe with a filter on the end.. ?

the only quality concerns that I have noticed with the generic cold air intakes is that they might not be polished on the inside and might have metal burrs around the fitting for the crankcase vent hose.

zverg said:
the only quality concerns that I have noticed with the generic cold air intakes is that they might not be polished on the inside and might have metal burrs around the fitting for the crankcase vent hose.

My ebay intake never had any burrs. It is nice and smooth inside. I think some old ones had the problem, but not mine, and it is 3.5 years old.

ok, im going to order the ebay one, and grind the burs off, then order some injen stickers, and put them on the pipe hahahahaha. YESSSS

im in the prairies in canada, so i can only use a cai for 4-5 months of the year, due to the endless snow, therefore i would hate to invest that much money on such a seemingly useless mod, in the grand scheme of things.

Back