Fighting with Mazda dealer over tranny drain/fill

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Wanted a simple transmission drain and fill. Dealer said Mazda recommends against it. Told him I don't care what Mazda recommends I would like to have it done for piece of mind. Told me he has to go check with his superiors to see if they even do it. WTH.

My 2016 has been out of powertrain warranty for 2 years now so I should be able to do what I want to it as long as it doesn't violate any laws.

That dealership probably just doesn't want to assume the risk of replacing the fluid because they don't know how you drive it. For example, if the transmission has been abused, changing the fluid may make the car shift worse. If the car drives worse immediately after the fluid change, the owner can blame it on the shop that did the service, and they would have to deal with the headache of proving it wasn't their fault. It's just easier for the shop to deny the service based on what the owner's manual says about the transmission fluid being a "lifetime" fluid.

If you can do an engine oil change, you can do a transmission fluid drain and fill. There are independent shops that would be willing to do a drain and fill if you decide not to DIY, and those shops would probably charge less as well.

If you do DIY:

Just a note, I'm not sure if the transmission fluid capacity for the 1st gen CX-5, the 2nd gen CX-5 NA and the 2nd gen CX-5 turbo is different. I drained about 4.5qts out of my CX-9.

Just go over to the parts dept, buy 4 quarts of fluid, and go somewhere else. A drain an fill is even easier than an oil change. Nobody should charge you more than say $30 for the labor.
I know, I just wanted everything done at one time at the dealer. I only have 40,000 easy miles on my 16 so there should be no problem plus they've done all the service so there shouldn't be any issue of it not running right after the service.

The Mazda service department I frequent has a price list of services posted.
There are "Drain & Refill ATF" and "Replace AT filter and gasket".
You can do #1 only or do both.
They are happy to do it for you if you ask.

The Mazda service department I frequent has a price list of services posted.
There are "Drain & Refill ATF" and "Replace AT filter and gasket".
You can do #1 only or do both.
They are happy to do it for you if you ask.
Where is your service department?
Just in case they give me some flip answer that no Mazda dealers do it.

as was stated above I would not want any service done that the service department did not want to do. I also have to commend your dealership for not trying to sell you a service you don't need.

Try another dealership. Locally one that I asked said no we dont do such changes but another one said sure we do. So each one is different.
One tries to up sell me brake fluid change and new cabin filter every time while another doesnt:)

as was stated above I would not want any service done that the service department did not want to do. I also have to commend your dealership for not trying to sell you a service you don't need.
But it is needed. "Lifetime" fluid literally does not exist.

If they decide to do it they'll charge you both your arms and legs for it. My dealer wanted close to $200 just to change the rear diff fluid. It's literally a 15 minute job and just requires less than a quart of oil and a few drain plug washers.

Try another dealership. Locally one that I asked said no we dont do such changes but another one said sure we do. So each one is different.
One tries to up sell me brake fluid change and new cabin filter every time while another doesnt:)

My dealer wouldn't even price out a transmission filter for me. The parts guy said he was were sure it wasn't a serviceable part, and he even went to talk to the techs and they also said the filter wasn't serviceable.

My dealer wouldn't even price out a transmission filter for me. The parts guy said he was were sure it wasn't a serviceable part, and he even went to talk to the techs and they also said the filter wasn't serviceable.
It's serviceable. They just don't have anything in their book rate to charge, therefore they consider it "not serviceable".

People have lost the ability to think critically, and it's sad.

It's serviceable. They just don't have anything in their book rate to charge, therefore they consider it "not serviceable".

I know it's serviceable. Nevermind the book rate, the guy didn't even bother touching his computer when I asked for it.

Got the same exact thing from my dealer. Svc Manager told me it was a 'sealed lifetime system'. I told him it had a transmission fluid dipstick and he said he's have to talk to his service expert about it and would get back to me. Never did get back to me. They don't want to mess with it. I'm looking for another dealer in the area to do it.

Yeah, I've seen the same scenario on a Toyota forum regarding some transmissions with out dipsticks, dealer wouldn't touch it.

I should have clarified that I meant only the fluid "change" drain/fill - without dropping the pan and tranny filter. Sadly the pan/filter they dont want to touch.
but Indie shops do, actually any decent mechanic will suggest that the tranny filter and pan drop is the way to do real change.

It all depends on the operating temps during the lifetime. I think cars driven in mild or colder weather can get more miles out of it. While those drive in the super hot states constantly may see diminished quality in the tranny oil earlier.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've seen the same scenario on a Toyota forum regarding some transmissions with out dipsticks, dealer wouldn't touch it.
That’s crazy! My gas (‘19 traded in) and hybrid (‘21 currently own) RAV4s don’t have a dipstick. The gas transmission has like a little straw built into the pan above the drain plug. The straw sticks up into the pan and serves as the device for measuring correct fill level (overflow above the straw spills out). Removing the straw drains the transmission. The scheduled maintenance infers “lifetime” under “normal” conditions, but thankfully a note is made to service at like 50 or 60k miles for towing or using rooftop carriers.

The hybrid transmission is dead simple. Drain and fill it like a rear differential on the cx-5. “Lifetime” normal conditions, drain and fill for severe service.

Does anybody know how much fluid is needed for one drain and fill?
This is on a 16 CX-5 Touring NA.

I'm going to get the fluid from the parts dept. and have an Indy shop do the change.
I only have 40,000 miles on ODO so I have some time to check around.

Latest posts

Back