Fastest Mazda Protege

deek00

:
08 Ms3
So ive been looking around and have been wondering what is the fastest mazda protege, also for the guys who are turbo'd what is the most psi you can put on the stock setup? Im thinking about doing a custom turbo setup and want to see if it is worth it, my buddy has a tsi awd talon that runs 11's so i would be looking to touch those numbers but i dont think this motor can make that type of power. might have to buy another car for that....

dont look at getting into the 11's without tons of money and a built block... Most say 8-10psi is the highest you want to go. 10psi being close to the edge from that i understand on stock msp tune. However boost psi isnt everything. You have tons and tons of variables that can make the car go boom even with a small amount of boost.

Your questions are extremely vague and you wont get much more then a vague response.

you'll prob be better off going in another direction...there are plenty of thread here about blown motors! 11's would be a real hard stretch with this motor without tons of $$$

you'll prob be better off going in another direction...there are plenty of thread here about blown motors! 11's would be a real hard stretch with this motor without tons of $$$

+1 the FS-DE motor is not a very good go fast motor at all. You can make it go fast but so can a 3 cylinder geo

that talon might hit the 11s(not hard for a DSM), but wont last long lol...All my friends around here have DSMs and while they are fast, they constantly have issue and break. Now as for the protege hitting there, build a KL, swap, slap on a huge turbo, megasquirt, meth, and tune and get into the 11s(if u can get traction that is lol).

Remember with your buddies car his launch is a big factor in his trap time. i bet his 60' time is around 1.7-1.9s or maybe better. One of my friends had a decently modified DSM but probably making 300whp or so, and ran 13.12 beating another one of our friends in a TT supra making 415whp that ran a 13.13 and that was all from the launch, give a half mile stretch the supra probably would have had lengths on the dsm.

So for your car to hit 11s you would need some serious power and more than likely some fat slicks.

dont look at getting into the 11's without tons of money and a built block... Most say 8-10psi is the highest you want to go. 10psi being close to the edge from that i understand on stock msp tune. However boost psi isnt everything. You have tons and tons of variables that can make the car go boom even with a small amount of boost.

moneys not really the problem.
ive built quite a few setups including a turbocharged grandam (yes your grand mas grocery getter). 8psi on that car was a beast and motor would hold but tranny was pos. I was just wondering if this motor has ever held any types of power, or if every time it goes boom boom boom .....(let me hear you say heeeeyy ooooohhh).

I think i might just have to build another car and keep the pro as a daily driver, 30 mpg is pretty nice around town. But would be nice to snap off all the hondas around here.

moneys not really the problem.
ive built quite a few setups including a turbocharged grandam (yes your grand mas grocery getter). 8psi on that car was a beast and motor would hold but tranny was pos. I was just wondering if this motor has ever held any types of power, or if every time it goes boom boom boom .....(let me hear you say heeeeyy ooooohhh).

I think i might just have to build another car and keep the pro as a daily driver, 30 mpg is pretty nice around town. But would be nice to snap off all the hondas around here.

You do realize how often we have people that come on here that say money is not a problem right...? If it wasn't a problem you'd be driving something else all together in sure. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything just tired of hearing that and nothing ever happening.

The block itself is pretty beefy and heavy on these cars. The week point in the rods. I currently don't know of anyone who have tested the limits of the stock pistons because they generally just replace both rods and pistons. The rods on these cars are like toothpicks from what I understand.

Also the amount of power you put isn't solely based off boost psi. You can make more power at lets say 15psi compared to someone running the same setup at 18psi if you have a better tune and his is craptastic tune.

I want to say it was JDMSam put out like 274ish whp on the stock block with a good tune and supporting mods. Obviously he upped the boost as well. It really all depends on how far your willing to push your car before you end up trashing a perfectly good block. As you will see most here are afraid to turn up the boost for that reason or will not exceed 10psi.

10psi is generally considered the limit on the stock tune. Now which stock tune that is.. I have no idea. The MSP's can have one of two tunes. One being the first(just stating the obvious here lol) or one that mazda came out with later on to address the hesitation that these cars are plagued with.

Methanol + EBC w/ supporting mods & you can break into the high 13's @ 12-14psi. You have to lower the detonation temps tho or you will blow the stock motor with anything above 9-10 psi. If you want more power, you need a full rebuild/forged internals. The stock rods are CRAP. A GT35, forged motor, & built tranny will probly get you to the 11's. If $$ is no object, go big.

Last edited:
the fastest mazda protege belongs to miguel. or mazdaspeed2oo3.5. he is pushing out 474 whp

You do realize how often we have people that come on here that say money is not a problem right...? If it wasn't a problem you'd be driving something else all together in sure. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything just tired of hearing that and nothing ever happening.
QUOTE]

personally i already have another vehicle a 2004 dodge ram 1500 slt laramie with a hemi v8 and a 6 inch lift on 35's. (can post pics if you like) The only reason i bought the protege is because me and my wife are expecting our first baby and the truck is too large to get into while she's pregnant. (Second you are coming off as a dick, im not some punk 16 yr old kid who bought his first car and wants to go vroom vroom all the way home.) I have owned many cars now including a custom turbo charged grand am, a eagle talon tsi awd, eg civic hatch with gsr motor, dodge dakota rt, subaru impreza wrx sti plus many more. Ive come to terms that this car is slow and is basically full build or go home, think il just pick up a ms3, test drove one yesterday and like the power/5 door/mpg

bought this car cuz its fun to drive for being slow and i can get 30mpg. would be fun if the car had some more balls. its not really the money (again) its the time and headache to get this car to be (more)fun to drive. Ive had alot of quick cars and this is the slowest car ive ever driven including slower then the vx civic i had with 90hp. I figure with some intake and exhaust and minor mods the car will remain horrid. I personally like turbo'd vehicles and was wondering if i turbo'd the car would it be worth it to do a full build on this car. And according to the replys on here its not worth the money to put into it to get a 13 second car. but thanks

A msp set-up with bolt-ons and ems and 10psi should get into high 13's and still be reliable with a welded lsd at least (prone to breaking the case). Above that expect to have to spend $15k+ to build the tranny and motor and still possibly break something :( Like me and many others

A msp set-up with bolt-ons and ems and 10psi should get into high 13's and still be reliable with a welded lsd at least (prone to breaking the case). Above that expect to have to spend $15k+ to build the tranny and motor and still possibly break something :( Like me and many others

yeah i have been shopping around my options to pick up a used msp side mount and turbo and ecu. already got intake and exhaust sitting in my garage, gonna install the springs first though. Think im gonna stay with the baby turbo and keep psi low if i can find a setup, just fun dd.

Put a klze in it and be in the 13s with intake and exhaust. Then if you really know your stuff Turbo and megasquirt it at 8 psi on a t3/t4

Well Proteges are great cars, they are not the best platform but once you have fix the weak spots is the sweatest ride to own and drive.. I cantreally complaint amount my car or my builds because simply i have my personal dream car. I know i have a lot of money invested in it but i also know atleast in here in SPAIN i own something nobody have... Once you add the right amount of money to them and do them right you will fall in love with it... I know with the amount of money i have invested in this car i could of have, bought or built a better car but having something nobody has is priceless to me. if i have to do what i have done to my MSP again i will doing without a doubt These Cars with 300whp+++ are simply INSANE and if you have more t han that is just..... **** it....anybody will love them more than anything else i can vouch that... Is really sad to see so many people doubting the potential and reliability of these cars, people just quiting without finishing it all i can say to those that gives up dont.... These cars finished are so ******* awesome that dont matter what gets next to you, you sure will have so much more fun than any other built cars out there....i dont know i guess these cars are about love and hate and i love my s*** to death.....

Well Proteges are great cars, they are not the best platform but once you have fix the weak spots is the sweatest ride to own and drive.. I cantreally complaint amount my car or my builds because simply i have my personal dream car. I know i have a lot of money invested in it but i also know atleast in here in SPAIN i own something nobody have... Once you add the right amount of money to them and do them right you will fall in love with it... I know with the amount of money i have invested in this car i could of have, bought or built a better car but having something nobody has is priceless to me. if i have to do what i have done to my MSP again i will doing without a doubt These Cars with 300whp+++ are simply INSANE and if you have more t han that is just..... **** it....anybody will love them more than anything else i can vouch that... Is really sad to see so many people doubting the potential and reliability of these cars, people just quiting without finishing it all i can say to those that gives up dont.... These cars finished are so ******* awesome that dont matter what gets next to you, you sure will have so much more fun than any other built cars out there....i dont know i guess these cars are about love and hate and i love my s*** to death.....

well said

well said
Indeed, I've wasted a couple thousand in my ES before realizing what I really needed to do. Now I have a GT3071R, Steedspeed mani, and Turbolife's FMIC. Next its built interals and everything else I gotta do. To the guy that started this thread, our protege can take turns on a stock suspension setup that alot of built cars with good suspension can't. If you got the balls stick with this, it will be hard, time consuming and costly, but the result is a vehicle thats not made anymore and once fully built will become legendary in years to come

Indeed, I've wasted a couple thousand in my ES before realizing what I really needed to do. Now I have a GT3071R, Steedspeed mani, and Turbolife's FMIC. Next its built interals and everything else I gotta do. To the guy that started this thread, our protege can take turns on a stock suspension setup that alot of built cars with good suspension can't. If you got the balls stick with this, it will be hard, time consuming and costly, but the result is a vehicle thats not made anymore and once fully built will become legendary in years to come

Well Said Again...... Ill add something ive never said to anybody, but ive been offered 70,000 Euros for my car in hand and i said NO !!!!! With that amount i cannot buy something nobody have and nobody will cause bringing and legalizing a car like mine here in SPAIN is nearly impossible in order to do that you need to be a Spanish Citizen and lived in USA for 13 month and bringing it as a personal belonging or residence change to be legalized like mine is...... So 70,000 Euros is about $ 82,600 for those that wonder how much that is.. My car will never cost that much in USA not even in dreams but in here is a Priceless Mean machine that nobody except me have...

Being that said if you believe in dreams this right here is mine !!!! A Well done Protege will kick lots of higher prices cars i can also vouch that...We can ask my Friend Richard with his Gallardo if his ass isnt still hurting !!!!! lol lol

Back