False Horsepower Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
25%? In all my dyno days I've never seen anything lose 25% bro...thats a big loss in the powertrain...12 to 15% for manuals seems to be normal 15 to 20 for auto's/awd cars...are you seeing vehicles with 25% drivetrain loss? if so what vehicle?
My Trailblazer SS AWD has apprx. a 25% Drivetrain loss.

395 HP Rating....Dynoed at 297WHP.
Apprx. 25%.
Just sayin'.

My Trailblazer SS AWD has apprx. a 25% Drivetrain loss.

395 HP Rating....Dynoed at 297WHP.
Apprx. 25%.
Just sayin'.
Many large vehicles lose that much. A stock Ram Hemi loses over fifty horses by the time it gets to the drive wheels.

Um... eh... have you ever punched it from a roll in second gear? No I'm not going to sue Mazda.

+1
I just got my first cute girl to scream in the back seat the other day doing just that. I don't need a dyno to tell me the car is doing what its supposed to. :D

try doing it downhill.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

To the OP: I would imagine a group like the ASME would have a standard for HP ratings on combustion engines. ASME and other similar ratings are usually conservative, I work with them every day. I would assume mazda would rate their engines to an ASME or similar standard as well. This way they can avoid stupid lawsuits like the one you proposed. All they have to do is prove the engine was rated to a standard test, and as long as they followed the procedure they are off the hook, and you will be paying their lawyers fees for years after I have paid off my college loans.

Besides the limiter in 1st and 2nd gear, the reason you never see the full 263 HP at the wheels was explained to all of us in high school physics class. See if you have your old text book lying around, pick it up and do some reading.

Not trying to be harsh, but nothing is ideal.

Last edited:
Someone should sue every manufacturer ever who claimed a top speed in a car.

Mazda claims 155mph top speed on the speed3. No road in the U.S. had a top speed higher than 80mph. So they should have only advertised that top speed correct?

Give me a break. We don't live in a country that mandates speeds or horsepower figures (so far). There are limits but it is our choice to suffer the consequences of going over them. Be lucky we don't live in England where they are actually trying out GPS enabled speed limiters..

Go spill some hot coffee on yourself in a drive-thru or slip on a wet floor if you want to make a quick buck the good ol' American way.

did you not know about this limited boost/torque in 1st and 2nd gear? it is very well advertised/documented... i knew about this before i bought the car. didn't really care...

with all of the stupid lawsuits being thrown into our courts, and you would like to add this?

don't expect me to sign up for any 'class action' crap... that's for sure. i applaud mazda for trumping all of the other FWD platforms (at least all of the ones i tried out) and delivering a real 'bang for the buck' ride.

Didn't we learn in another thread that turning off Traction Control while turning on the car was disabling the boost limiter in first couple of gears? That would give you full power in those gears, won't make you any faster though.

Didn't we learn in another thread that turning off Traction Control while turning on the car was disabling the boost limiter in first couple of gears? That would give you full power in those gears, won't make you any faster though.

Not true, just disables traction control. Its still limited boost but even that is enough to smoke up the wheels without the traction control.

no car has the power output they say they do. people buy brand new STI's an go to the dyno an put down 223hp all the time. i cant believe someone would actually make a thread like this... (headshake

As a result, it's not until 5,500 rpm in 4th gear that we actually see the full 263HP that's advertised. That turns out to be at 85mph.
So, Mazda is advertising a 263HP car that can not achieve that power rating legally on any public road.

If my memory is correct, there was a lawsuit in Ohio for a similar reason that resulted in lawnmowers not being rated by HP any more. The basis of the lawsuit was that the HP ratings on lawnmower engines were the "peak" power ratings of the engines, which typically occurred at 5,500~6,000 rpm. But during operation of the lawnmower, the optimal blade speed was 3,600 rpm. Therefore the manufacturers were misleading the consumers as the peak horsepower was never achieved during the intended operation of the mower. If you check the local hardware store, you'll see that almost all mowers are now advertised by their torque rating.

Also that would only work in this case if Mazda advertised the 263hp, but it was found out it was only achievable at 9,000rpm and the motors had a limiter at 6,000.

...HP is NOT torque/time. If that were true, the longer your engine held a give torque, the less HP it would make....(screwy)

Power = torque*rotational speed. To use familiar units, Horsepower = torque* RPM/5252, when you measure torque in ft-lbs and RPM is rotations per minute (as opposed to rad/s or any other way of measuring rotational speed). The 5252 part is due to unit conversion.

Therefore, wheel dynos DO measure hp, since they measure the amount of torque your wheels are creating AND the how fast they are spinning. The correction factor is used to be able to compare results from runs done at different atmospheric conditions. It simply adjusts the MEASURED HP number up or down a few percent to make sure people are comparing apples to apples when runs are done in different conditions.

Perhaps I'm not being clear, and I think I'm not. I should not have put the slash there, as people might think that I'm making an EQUATION for HP as Torque DIVIDED by Time, which I'm not. Revolutions per MINUTE and the 5252 constant (from the old 33,000 ft-lbf/minute a draught horse is supposed to be able to do) are time measures, thus the Torque applied OVER A PERIOD of time statement I'm actually making.

Dyno CALCULATE horsepower because, you can easily measure directly the linear motion of one horse but, it's pretty hard to directly measure the rotary motion of an internal combustion engine. Torque and RPM are easily measured directly and these form the basis of the horsepower calculation.

An example is a water brake dyno. The more torque is applied to the unit, the more water is needed, until it maxes that value at the torque peak. More water braking is NOT needed at the horsepower peak. Thus the dyno does not respond to HP at all. They used to call dynos "torque meters" for a reason.

Mazda isn't lying when they say MAX power is 263 at 5,500 rpms. They don't mention a gear, because it's irrelevant. The max crank HP according to Mazda is 263, that's the most power the engine can possibly put out. That's what "MAX" means, lol. Thanks for the laugh. Now that will be 500 dollars because lawyers round UP to the nearest hour. Have a nice day.

and I thought he made a pretty compelling argumment! haha give the guy a break though... at least he created an 'interesting' discussion.

Can care less about the Hp rating. I go by butt dyno, and it tells me that this car makes more than enough power to make my drive entertaining, and when in the mood, surprise folks who think they have fast cars. It also allows me to scare the hell out of my passengers just flooring it in "boost limited" second gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back