Fake oil gauge!!??

Whats this i hear about the MX-5 having a fake oil temp or pressure (not sure which) gauge in the dash cluster? Is that true?

Cheers!

They also have a fake speedometer to make it look like you're going faster.
....and a fake fuel tank gauge to make it look like you're getting better mileage.

Yeah, the oil pressure gauge on the 94 (I think...) and up through the NBs (not sure abt NCs) is just a dummy gauge. There's a procedure for converting it to a 'real' gauge tho

aMaff said:
Yeah, the oil pressure gauge on the 94 (I think...) and up through the NBs (not sure abt NCs) is just a dummy gauge. There's a procedure for converting it to a 'real' gauge tho

Well, it's not totally useless. The 94+ models used a pressure switch as opposed to an analog sender that was employed in the 90-93 models. It will indicate that there is either oil pressure or lack thereof (ON/OFF).

I wouldn't be surprised if the NC models used the same methodology to indicate the presence of oil pressure as the 94+ models (ON/OFF).

Sorry, for clarification I meant useless in terms of actually seeing what your pressure is at any point in time.

kcbhiw said:
Well, it's not totally useless. The 94+ models used a pressure switch as opposed to an analog sender that was employed in the 90-93 models. It will indicate that there is either oil pressure or lack thereof (ON/OFF).

I wouldn't be surprised if the NC models used the same methodology to indicate the presence of oil pressure as the 94+ models (ON/OFF).
I thought the '94 still had the real OPG... I thought the switch was in 95 or 96

I know in mine the OPG is constantly updating as I drive

nate0123 said:
I thought the '94 still had the real OPG... I thought the switch was in 95 or 96

I know in mine the OPG is constantly updating as I drive

Meh, maybe it is 95. It's somewhere around that time.

Back