"Failure to follow traffic device..." NYS Traffic fines?

MP5, that's an awesome story!

Always fight a ticket if it's at all convenient. At the very least you'll have fun knowing that the state probably lost money on your ticket when you take the judge and cop's time into account.

Additionally, if the officer doesn't show up, they dismiss your ticket. This is more common than you think... it happened to me a couple of years ago. The reality of the situation is that traffic cops are revenue generators for many cities. As a result, is it a better use of their time to stay hiding behind bushes giving out more tickets or wasting a couple of hours in court to close the deal on a small number of people who bother to fight them?

If the cop does show up in court, you're basically screwed since the cop and the magistrate/judge probably know each other well and are much more versed on the laws than you are. However, as someone else mentioned, it's not as if they double the fine if you protest.

Best of luck!

Hah hah hah...funny story...I've been pulled over at that exact same light!!!!

IC Class of 2002

They put a no-turn-on-red sign up half way through my last year. I was living off campus out the back entrance so the one time I decided to leave the main entrance they nabbed me. No ticket though. :) Just a warning.

gb5mx said:
.... it's not as if they double the fine if you protest.
Best of luck!

Come to Indy and they tack on like an $85 court fee if you take it to court and lose. Not worth the effort anymore. Takes a $115 speeding ticket to $200 plus points. Makes a bad day worse.
I used to do it, but the cops around here are showing up a lot more often now.

MikeBlueP5:

You live in D'Ville? OMG!!! I used too and my parents still do! I have a silver P5 and live over by Beulah Elementary over off of S. Burnt Hickory Rd! Weird. First time ive ever seen you on here(althogh its been awhile since I was here last.)

Who gave you the ticket, D.C. Sheriff or DPD? If its was the GEstapo Sheriff, then I believe it! Did you get to meet Timothy McCreary the awesome and fair probate judge? If you did, Im 99% sure that you lost as everyone does in his courtroom. Even if the cop does NOT show up they will still go ahead. I could make yall;s heads spin with the illegal crap thats happened to me. Almost sued over a civil rights violation.

Anyways, email me privately at mazdaspeed@attbi.com if you want to meet up sometime. Ill be there this weekend to change my oil. Good oile' Mobil 1 )0w-40. I live in alpharetta now. Later. chris J.

cjstringer said:

Come to Indy and they tack on like an $85 court fee if you take it to court and lose. Not worth the effort anymore. Takes a $115 speeding ticket to $200 plus points. Makes a bad day worse.
I used to do it, but the cops around here are showing up a lot more often now.

You know - that really oughtta be illegal. It seems unconstitutional to charge someone for an appearance in court, win or lose. It's not like you DECIDED to sue someone, or DECIDED to go to court - your precense is REQUESTED by way of a traffic ticket.

It is your RIGHT to fight a ticket - sounds like something is really wrong there.

Might not be worth it to you, but if you have the time and/or inclination, I would look into the constitutionality ($10 word of the day ;)) of such a policy. Seems wholly unfair to me.

~HH

chuyler1 said:
I'd like to meet the main who said life was fair, cause it aint.

Well......yeah. But still, this is the LAW we're talking about here.

Might not be fair, but we have a reasonable expectation that it will be just.

Something about that just sounds like it is not constitutional - it's paying twice for the same infraction, only by making it two "fees" or "penalties" with different names.

Are those convicted of crimes then charged for the court costs associated with their trials, in addition to whatever sentence they receive?

I understand that traffic court and criminal court are not the same thing, but it IS being accused of something, and in this country, you are SUPPOSED to be innocent until proven guilty - even if it by preponderance of the evidence instead of "reasonable doubt".

It just seems that anything state-imposed that is designed to keep people from fighting for themselves in court ain't right, that's all.

~HH

Back