Factory alarm issues - please help!

hanshananigan

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hi All,
I changed my battery, and of course the alarm came on. I don't use the alarm much, and don't have a FOB. So I turned the key in the driver's door once, alarm still on. Two times rapidly, alarm still on. I try some other combos. Still on. Opened door and tried key in ignition, nothing. A moment later, the alarm goes off. I spend the next hour trying different stuff, but still couldn't get the alarm off.

I finally found the alarm manual which showed where the override button is. Success! Alarm off, car starts. BUT, when I turn the car off, it won't start again unless I disconnect the negative battery cable and hit the override button again. [edit] And the alarm re-arms after a few minutes. [/edit]

How do I get my car back???!?!!

THANKS!
Hans

Last edited:
bumpin it up for you...
i have no idea how to solve this problem... but the factory alarm is crap.... it only has intrusion detection and no shock sensor...

Thanks for the bump! I know someone on this forum can help me... should I take out a fuse? If so, at what step? Which fuse?

bumpin it up for you...
i have no idea how to solve this problem... but the factory alarm is crap.... it only has intrusion detection and no shock sensor...
it actually does have a shock sensor. if you have the sensitivity set properly, a solid hit to the car will cause the alarm to sound.

unfortunately, it sounds like you should try to find an extra fob. They can be had for the cheap on ebay, at least they used to be.

There's also a fuse inline on the pwr wire close to the main alarm module which is probably tucked up into the area above your fuse panel in the left driver footwell. Here's something else that may help....if you lock the doors with the switch on the driver door panel with that door open, then get out & close door, your doors will be locked but the alarm isn't engaged & won't. You have to use key in door or key fob to activate alarm. Just installed this much dreaded (POS as others claim) upgrade to mine this weekend. Had no issues. All testing successful. We'll see how long it lasts. It plugged into existing harnesses & cut/spliced nothing except a splice with a plug in on the parking light wire. All of this can be removed if you choose quite easily leaving it intact without any wiring nightmares which is exactly what I'll do if it acts up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the posts (and to exNeon for the PM). I ended up just going to the Mazda dealer to have them take a look to see if it was operating properly. The mechanic had no idea what was going on. He didn't know there was an emergency override button. He said that the alarm was aftermarket, until I pointed out that the control unit said "Mazda" on it and I had a Mazda factory alarm manual which generally matched the specs/codes when the alarm was functioning properly. He later agreed that it was a Mazda OEM alarm but that it was put in after production, yadda yadda. He couldn't pinpoint the actual problem, so I just asked him to disconnect it. Two hours labor and <$200 later, and I got my car back. I prolly could have figured out the wiring myself, but just didn't have the time (starting to home brew instead!). I will, however, rig up the alarm light to blink using AA batteries and $10 Radio Shack parts. That's almost as good, I reckon.

it actually does have a shock sensor. if you have the sensitivity set properly, a solid hit to the car will cause the alarm to sound.

unfortunately, it sounds like you should try to find an extra fob. They can be had for the cheap on ebay, at least they used to be.
Yes it does & if adj too sensitive you can thump the window & it'll go off. lol. And yes, cheap, scored NIB one off ebay for 47.00, installed it for free & I can uninstall it for free if it acts up.

BTW, the bypass sw is probably elbow deep up under the dash on the left side in the brace for the dash if it was installed according to the directions. Mine however, is somewhere not listed in the directions. Ouch on the wasted time at the dealer & 200 buck uninstall home brew or not! OMG how much are you brewing? My nanobrewery doesn't take that much of my time but I guess it's relative to how many people are drinkin it & at what speed. Take pics of that & make a how-to, people will love it.

Yes it does & if adj too sensitive you can thump the window & it'll go off. lol. And yes, cheap, scored NIB one off ebay for 47.00, installed it for free & I can uninstall it for free if it acts up.

BTW, the bypass sw is probably elbow deep up under the dash on the left side in the brace for the dash if it was installed according to the directions. Mine however, is somewhere not listed in the directions. Ouch on the wasted time at the dealer & 200 buck uninstall home brew or not! OMG how much are you brewing? My nanobrewery doesn't take that much of my time but I guess it's relative to how many people are drinkin it & at what speed. Take pics of that & make a how-to, people will love it.

Yup, bypass switch is right where it should be. Beer - these things didn't take long before baby arrived - now it takes a loooong time to do anything! You know how in Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" they're always smiling and holding a beer? I'm like grimacing and holding a baby! (not really grimacing - the kid's ahhhll right).

Twins! Oye. Congrats for being a successful father and getting them this far! I hope they enjoy a homebrew as much as you and I do.

Back