Extreme Performance Summer Tires-BFG Rivals

Conti DW is the best summer tire but no 15", I may have to get a set of 16" wheels for DD and a set of 15" for track week-end.

I wonder if the AZENIS RT-615K can do better than the Rivals in the rain.

Watch this video of the Rivals performance changes after the course turn into a swimming pool:

Disclaimer I was not driving..

Andres

Last edited:
Yeah the Rivals are very sketchy in the rain. I had a set on my car 225/45 15 for a few days. A buddy of mine wanted me to commute in them to scrub them a bit. So i went to his house and threw them on. My conclusion is I lost about 100 miles on a full tank of gas. I did not change my driving style. It poured one day and i was really petrified. @ 30 MPH i hit some standing water on Rt 22 E and the car just was all over the place. So not a good wet tire.

I can also say, with me behind the wheel on the rivals I was consistently 3 10's faster than on my Kumho XS.

I ran the XS on my miata full time for probably a year or so. While certainly not the fastest tire for autocross, I thought it was a great daily driving tire (I usually drove the miata 1 or 2 days a week in addition to autocross). Didn't get to try them in the snow though. Part of me wants to go that route for the 2 when my s-drives wear out.

yea, that is why I am thinking on getting the RE-11A instead of the ZII to replace my star specs later this year.

With a treadwear rating of 200 these will be a good tire for chump/lemons racing :)

-Derrick

I just got my next issue of GRM. I skimmed the tire article and the Bridgestones look like they will be my next tire.

I like that they're available in a 195...If I decide to go super sticky when my s-drives are done I may go that route as well. I wonder if I'd be able to get 15k miles out of a set with a few autocrosses thrown in. Looks like I'm going to get 20-25k out of these s-drives which is going to be some kind of record for me. Definately not having as much fun these days.

I got these today from 1010tires.com
996832_10151495320588616_1919503566_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

They will be on next tuesday :)

I wonder if the AZENIS RT-615K can do better than the Rivals in the rain.

Curious, why did you choose the RT-615K?

They aren't particularly good in the wet, though way better than the Rival.

And they are quite noisy.

But they handle well in the dry (still not anywhere near the current crop of new tires).

Conti DW is the best summer tire but no 15", I may have to get a set of 16" wheels for DD and a set of 15" for track week-end.

Yes, but the DW *was* sold in a 205/45-16, which is just a smidge taller than a 205/50-15. I stocked up when Tire Rack discontinued them and I still have a couple sets. I'd let one set go, but you have to buy the unobtanium SSR wheels they are mounted on. These tires are *magic* in the rain. Better than anything else out there.

For a daily driver hi-po tire for the 2, I'd be looking at the RE-11A in 195/50-15. Very good in the wet and dry, and not at all noisy.

Last edited:
Curious, why did you choose the RT-615K?

They aren't particularly good in the wet, though way better than the Rival.

And they are quite noisy.

But they handle well in the dry (still not anywhere near the current crop of new tires).

Yes, but the DW *was* sold in a 205/45-16, which is just a smidge taller than a 205/50-15. I stocked up when Tire Rack discontinued them and I still have a couple sets. I'd let one set go, but you have to buy the unobtanium SSR wheels they are mounted on. These tires are *magic* in the rain. Better than anything else out there.

For a daily driver hi-po tire for the 2, I'd be looking at the RE-11A in 195/50-15. Very good in the wet and dry, and not at all noisy.

Why 195 over a 205 for the re11A ??

Why 195 over a 205 for the re11A ??

On the stock 6" wide rim, the 205 offers nothing but extra weight and hurts gearing compared to the 195. In fact, on anything narrower than a 7.5" wide rim, I'd choose the 195 over 205, given the choice. Some tires (like the Rival) don't come in a 195, so you have to go 205 there.

In short, same grip with better acceleration.

That's just what I was thinking of doing as soon as I wear through my s-drives. Good to hear from someone that's driven on everything.

On the stock 6" wide rim, the 205 offers nothing but extra weight and hurts gearing compared to the 195. In fact, on anything narrower than a 7.5" wide rim, I'd choose the 195 over 205, given the choice. Some tires (like the Rival) don't come in a 195, so you have to go 205 there.

In short, same grip with better acceleration.

Thanks! Good thing I didn't order tires yet lol. I will get the 195 then. btw that cat back is very loud haha ;)

See, I am not crazy for running the 195's like some people think. I really wish they did make the Rivals in a 195 though. I am still planning on getting the RE-11A's to replace my star specs. Nice to know Andy thinks the same as me about that.

Back