Extreme Performance Summer Tires-BFG Rivals

Joker2

:
2011 Mazda 2 Sport 5 MT
I just got a set for my track day and autocross Miata, and they are fantastic. My M2 just got the Yoko Advan AD08s replaced with BFg Sport Comp 2 and they are a very nice tire and not a substantial downgrade.

For you Autocrossers and Track Day nuts, you should seriousely consider the Rivals. Grassroots Motorsports (my fave mag) tested the Rivals in 205-50-15 and the Dunlop ZIIs in the same size and the magic Toyo R1Rs in 195-50-15 and the Rivals came on top.

Thanks to Andi Hollis and Andi Whitener, both Solo Champs for the testing.

Yea I read that article yesterday morning. Rivals definately sounds like the tire to have for st (and soon stock?) classes. I was planning on going with the sport comp 2's for my car but saved $100 by going with the s-drives at the time. I don't like what I've heard about the sidewall stiffness (or lack thereof) on the comp2's though.

As I will only autocross the two 2-3 times a year and mostly on the rainy days (my big head with a helmet added makes it very difficult in the Miata with the top up), I decided to chance it.

I just got a set for my track day and autocross Miata, and they are fantastic. My M2 just got the Yoko Advan AD08s replaced with BFg Sport Comp 2 and they are a very nice tire and not a substantial downgrade.

For you Autocrossers and Track Day nuts, you should seriousely consider the Rivals. Grassroots Motorsports (my fave mag) tested the Rivals in 205-50-15 and the Dunlop ZIIs in the same size and the magic Toyo R1Rs in 195-50-15 and the Rivals came on top.

Thanks to Andi Hollis and Andi Whitener, both Solo Champs for the testing.

I went with the 225's ..no regret, BTW did you read the article on Andy's car project ?

Andres

Yea everything I have heard about them has been great. I have a friend who is running them on his Civic right now in One Lap. He likes them a lot. Stinks they don't make them in a 195 though. I am going to be using the stock wheels on the 2 for at least a year from now.

Yea everything I have heard about them has been great. I have a friend who is running them on his Civic right now in One Lap. He likes them a lot. Stinks they don't make them in a 195 though. I am going to be using the stock wheels on the 2 for at least a year from now.

I meant the article on Andy's headers and dyno sheet.

Andres

I saw it, thought 104 with an intake and full exhaust was very low for a custom setup. I figured for sure hell make 110-112.

Good article. Quote from article: ...this shows just how efficient the OE exhaust manifold is on the Mazda2.

I got that issue in, but I only skimmed through it. I should be able to read it some tonight though.

somehow I haven't gotten to that article yet. Maybe I need to eat more taco bell.

Thread jack .. sorry , I was also expecting around 120 HP , but seems like the power starts picking up earlier, and of course the higher rev limiter has to help. Shows how good of a drive Andy is beating everybody by 2 seconds every day..

Andres

Yea, the thing about Andy is...I'm not so sure he's human. It's the only logical explanation.

I have a set of rivals sitting in the garage waiting for my 6UL's to get here, will be sure to update with impressions once i get the chance to drive on them.

Not good, not good at all...Z1 are much better. I don't have any experience with Z2 or the Toyo. I would say the Rivals are equally as "good" as the 615's which were ok at best in a light rain. Puddles or standing water result in complete loss of grip.

Jeff

I wonder how good these are in the wet

I will let you know after this coming weekend. I don't think they are the best in the rain, I have Toyo's for rain tires, but I need to evaluate the Rivals myself. I drove the ZII (very disappointing) and the RS3's and the Toyo's in the rain , R1R the best so far by a lot, but Mr Hollis thinks that the Continental are the best for rain.

Seems like is going to be a two days rainy Autocross weekend so I 'll let you know.

Andres

I will let you know after this coming weekend. I don't think they are the best in the rain, I have Toyo's for rain tires, but I need to evaluate the Rivals myself. I drove the ZII (very disappointing) and the RS3's and the Toyo's in the rain , R1R the best so far by a lot, but Mr Hollis thinks that the Continental are the best for rain.

Seems like is going to be a two days rainy Autocross weekend so I 'll let you know.

Thanks bud, I need some rain traction just in case. Don't want to switch tires on the fly too often, and I want to keep a racer look on the Mazda2
Andres

As promised, it did pour this past Sunday, results on 225 Rivals

Best time on dry 92 degrees : 75.4 seconds
Best time on wet 91 degrees : 81.5 seconds

Conclusion: I need two R1R's (already have two) before Blytheville ;)

Andres

Back