Extreme Performance Summer Tires-BFG Rivals

Season is over and so are the Rivals. They were fun tires. Lots of grip and wide window of grip. My Autocross buddies that wondered at my slow and smooth inputs, were like wow, you are so aggresive. The wide window allows you to saw at the wheel and provide more input at larger slip angles. So while the tire operates at large slip angles without giving up much grip, I find myself spending less effort in finding the perfect line. Actually, during the last few events I had to force myself to focus primarily on the line(car position first and foremost).

Lastly, this tire suck big time in the rain. If it drizzles or lightly rains, or drainage is good, I found it gripping quite well up to the limit. Unlike the Yoko Advan AD-08 or the RE-11s, the dry slip angles dissapear with the wet. If it rains some, once you slide, it takes a loooong time to recover.

I did not understand comments related to poor longitudinal braking, because I had very little lockup on the Miata and less ABS intervention on the rears of the Mazda2. I liked the longitudinal braking as much as the latteral grip in the dry.

The Rivals are a really top level tire and you can't go wrong with it unless PNW is your home and only one tire is a must.

Good Bye, I have to switch to winter tires now on the Mazda2. The Miata will keep the Rivals on for one more week for a track day this Sunday:)

Too bad I am in the PNW, lol!

Thanks for writing on your experience on the rivals.

-Derrick

Back