Exhaust Heat Shield

shooter445

:
08 Mazdaspeed3
Well i kinda tore up the foil/foam exhaust heat shield when I installed my DP and TP. I was just wondering if there would be any issues with me removing the heat shield from the car and leaving it off?

the exhaust is pretty hot, and the pipes are pretty close to the car, so that insulation is there for a reason. i wouldn't ride around without it personally

i tore mine out a few months ago because it was hanging/ raddling. seems fine. i dont feel heat through the floor or anything.

I just picked up some high heat foil tape and repaired it, seem to work just fine and looks as good as new

Failed heat shield

I would replace it. Mine was failing for no reason and I got mazda to send me gift cards to buy a new one and got service to install it for free. Shouldn't happen on a 07 with less than 40K. The dealer told me it was vital to the exhaust/02 sensor performance. Too much heat= fail. IMG_6646.jpgIMG_6647.jpgIMG_6646.jpgIMG_6647.jpg

Well, same is on my son's car. I have good guess what the reason is - if an idiot tries to run a speed bump at high speed, betcha, bump will bite back. I'll re-cover it with heat foil like shooter did, no reason to fork for new one. Hey, shooter, what did you use exactly?

Back