*** Everyone with steering clunk - read this ***

What you describe is the ABS self test. It may coincide with you turning the wheel, but it has to do with hitting a certain speed after starting up. Perfectly normal.

Go to a parking lot, turn off and start up again. Go straight. About 5-12mph or so it will happen. A quick clunk-clunk type noise. Won't matter straight or turning. If you can repeat it doing this on command(requiring a shut down and restart each time) then its the ABS self test.

I don't think this is true. At least not for me. I have never experienced the clunk while driving in a straight line and I have experienced it well after starting the car. Also, I had my rack and pinion replaced under warranty and the sound (actually more of a feel) disappeared. For a time, anyway. My best guess is that the rack and pinion develop some play over time that can be felt when the wheels are turned very sharply at very slow speeds.

Did they fix this in the later years? My 2013 doesn't have any steering clunks. Only 16,000 miles so far.

I think the warranty extends through 30,000 miles. When I got mine fixed I asked whether I could still bring it back for the same problem after the warranty expired, and they said yes.

You know, with this thread going on for so long and a bunch of people having gotten their steering racks replaced under warranty, I've never seen anyone actually say what's wrong, other than a clunk sound. Is some part internally getting broken or prematurely worn? Are the wheels gonna fall off if it doesn't get fixed, or is nothing actually wrong with the part other than the noise?

I've had the clunk and I am at 41000 miles on the odometer....

I've had the clunk for 6 months already. Going to try and inspect the intermediate steering shaft

You know, with this thread going on for so long and a bunch of people having gotten their steering racks replaced under warranty, I've never seen anyone actually say what's wrong, other than a clunk sound. Is some part internally getting broken or prematurely worn? Are the wheels gonna fall off if it doesn't get fixed, or is nothing actually wrong with the part other than the noise?

I think most of us that are getting the fix are just paranoid that it would develop into a bigger problem down the road after the warranty expires. It has caused zero appreciable issues for me. Just a lack of car knowledge and strange sounds/feelings in the car freak me out sometimes.

I was told that the plastic gears in whatever controls the power steering were breaking, and that if it continued to get worse, I would eventually lose power steering. I cannot verify if that is true, but that's what the service manager told me. He said the power steering was part of the steering rack, and the whole thing needed to be replaced.

I don't know if that's the problem, but since I was out of warranty, I had to pay for it out of pocket. The clunking started when I was covered by warranty, but didn't think much of it. So, I could have saved myself a lot of money if I had it replaced earlier. I figured I could save other people a bunch of cash, if they got it taken care of while still covered by the warranty.

-Matt

Here are the 3 TSBs I printed out at work that may/could be applicable to front end noises:

First one regarding the ABS self test:

n9OLimx.jpg

Second has to do with defective steering gear due to the rack end bushing wearing out. I'd imagine that if it's bad enough to rattle, you'd actually be able to push up and down on the inner tie rod and duplicate the noise with the car in the air.

Xt90dfM.jpg

NjTE6hA.jpg

zpdfRUR.jpg

And a third one, if it's just a single clunk probably not it but thought I'd share here. I know my car does this when it's retarded hot out... I'm guessing the foam under the cowl gets softer and allows the cowl to contact the windshield more easily/often. It rattles like crazy on washboard roads when you hear it:

tXaeoj7.jpg

JGAdQim.jpg

7o4sg5p.jpg

LtKt7Zo.jpg

I'll get around to actually doing it one day when it bothers me enough to do so. :p

Last edited:
Looks like that 2nd TSB is a different one than what folks are getting their steering racks replaced for. I'm guessing it's only covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty, and not the powertrain warranty?

Glad to see it only affects 2011-2012 models at least, so our 2013 should be OK. I'll have to keep an eye on our 2011.

Again, for me, the ABS self-test isn't right. I experience this clunk after driving for some time, and then slowly pulling into a parking spot, or some similar low-speed hard turn. #3 is definitely not it for me. #2 doesn't sound right, either, as the sound isn't coming from driving on rough roads in a straight line. Just low-radius turns at low speeds. I'm thinking more and more that I'll at least bring my car in to get this checked out again, probably some time this summer.

Ok, so I inspected my steering clunk and I lubed the intermediate shaft joints right under the dash coming out of the electric unit.

No more noise :D

So I guess that was my problem, dry joints. I had a tube of brake caliper grease which had a fine tip on it and basically injected it in the joint while turning. After a couple of 90 degree turns in the streets everything was peaceful.

I have this clunk when backing out of the driveway and turning the wheel at low speeds seems to go away after some driving. I have a 2011 Mazda 2 . I brought it to the dealer they said it was the steering rack is there any proof that , that is even the fix seems like living the intermediate shaft is doing the job.

Mine is getting worse, again. I'm thinking before I bring it back to the dealership I'm going to get under it and check to make sure everything is tightened and lubed. I'm just not sure which components to check? Anyone want to help me make a checklist?

I have this clunk when backing out of the driveway and turning the wheel at low speeds seems to go away after some driving. I have a 2011 Mazda 2 . I brought it to the dealer they said it was the steering rack is there any proof that , that is even the fix seems like living the intermediate shaft is doing the job.

lube the U joint in the intermediate shaft. Drive for a day and if the noise is still there, its probably the steering rack.

I forgot to mention this, but after the track day at Road Atlanta on monday I think I finally have the clunk/clicking noise on my 2 with the steering, 70K miles for the record. Since it is me, I am going to try to get a good video of it to show other people what the noise sounds like, and I am also going to be doing an investigation into what is actually causing the noise. Luckily with my new DD I don't have to drive the 2, but I am not that worried about it right now anyway. Also I have some maintenance on other cars I need to get done first, then I will be looking at this on the 2.

I will keep everyone up to speed with what I find.

While I had my car up for an oil change and tire rotation today, I checked out some of the steering and suspension components. The biggest thing I noticed is that my end links were different brands. After my wreck last year my passenger side suspension was rebuilt, and I think I remember asking them to use a Raybestos/Moog endlink instead of the OEM option. Anyway, that's what is installed now. On the opposite side I still have the OEM one, which feels very loose to me. I'm not sure if this is the problem for me, but I think I'm going to order another Moog and see what happens after I install it.

If that doesn't work out I just may have to bring it back in to the dealership and hope that they will replace my steering rack again. I'm a little worried about this, though, because I think this was also replaced by the body shop that worked on my car last year. If I end up having to get this taken care of, who should I be talking to? The body shop or the dealership?

I have looked into the noise on my car and it is definitely the steering rack. Not sure if I am going to do anything about it before the next trackday or not. It is basically just a creeking sound. I am thinking on seeing if I can take it apart to see what is up with it. If I can't figure anything out I will get a new one.

Back