*** Everyone with steering clunk - read this ***

mine started to happen after i got my lowering springs installed by megan racing. It was attributed as minor spring bind that is common in some cars with lowering springs.

i bought my car Sept 2011 and right now I have over 53k miles on it. The clunking noise for me comes and goes....Megan springs are too stiff for this little car anyways, so I'm going to remove them in the coming weeks.

if it is the steering the extended warranty should have me covered. hopefully...

Megan springs are too stiff for this little car anyways, so I'm going to remove them in the coming weeks.

too stiff for stock dampers ;), people have successfully used rates 3-4x stiffer than megans, but with upgraded dampers of course.

I posted this in the other thread already, but I just got mine back from the dealership last week after a steering rack swap and everything seems good so far. The clunk was getting pretty obvious for me, so the difference is very noticeable.

Im running 600 front and 350 rear at the moment. The rears rates are going to go up to 450 or 500.

Im running 600 front and 350 rear at the moment. The rears rates are going to go up to 450 or 500.

how is the daily driving with those rates? I'm at 275/230 with bilstein coilovers and it's comfortable enough for me. When people ride with me in my car there usually aren't complaints, just questions as to why bumps feel like more of a "jolt", as compared to a "bounce".

Hey Derrick, I like getting technical. Any insight to what is really the issue?

I figure you have had one apart enough to see what it could be. I'm having a hard time believing grease is a long term fix.

Mazda2_front_suspension.jpg

2D45L31.jpg
The steering clunk is caused by the part under the number 32-090, this is called the intermidiate shaft under waranty they will change it , if not you can them to grease it with the special orange grease from mazda that should work fine ,the 1300$ part isnt the problem , if there was a problem there then u would loose power steering coz that is the control box for the steering system .

The steering clunk is caused by the part under the number 32-090, this is called the intermidiate shaft under waranty they will change it , if not you can them to grease it with the special orange grease from mazda that should work fine ,the 1300$ part isnt the problem , if there was a problem there then u would loose power steering coz that is the control box for the steering system .

Then why did the clunk go away for me when they changed the steering rack? Is it likely to come back?

I took a look at our B-Spec car. I think changing it out will be a pita since there is tubing for the roll cage passing just under the steering unit. I may have to pull the dash out to change this if it goes bad.

(eek2)

-Derrick

Well mine won't be getting fixed. Service manager is adamant about voiding my warranty due to my air suspension. And there's no other local Mazda service center.

Well mine won't be getting fixed. Service manager is adamant about voiding my warranty due to my air suspension. And there's no other local Mazda service center.

Unless they have probable reason to suspect your air suspension but the steering rack through extra wear causing the issue I don't think they are allowed to deny the repair

Just unplug the wire for the power steering from the battery and go manual. I have been meaning to try it, but I have been too busy recently.

Yeah he said "you do realize once you start modifying you start voiding your warranty right?" I replied I believe you would have to prove that my modifications caused the fault. He was a real pecker head and did not seem interested in helping me out. They didn't even investigate the issue. I stated there was a TSB that I believe I fit into, they said they checked the torque on all parts, and once they saw I had air suspension stopped.

Also the TSB states that the noise sounds like its coming from the passenger floor. When he asked me I said it sounded like it was coming near my feet, so instantly he thought I was lying and treated me like s***. I wanted to ask how much sense it would make if the faulty part was in the steering column why the noise would emit from the passenger side.

Hi Kwaits,

You might want to look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. There has to be a connection between whatever is broken and the mods on the car for the dealer not to warranty. Taking it to the absurd, they have to prove that your air intake somehow ruined the air conditioner compressor just an example). They can't legally just state that mods void the warranty.

Sounds like the dealership is actually violating Federal Law. I'd go right to Mazda and let them have a chat with the dealer. Mazda gets very concerned when dealerships piss off customers. I know that for sure.<LOL>

John

Just unplug the wire for the power steering from the battery and go manual. I have been meaning to try it, but I have been too busy recently.

interesting, a traditional liquid power steering rack with the belt removed IS NOT a manual rack, it;s like 2.5x harder to turn than a traditional manual rack, i wonder what an electrically assisted rack without power would be like.

i would definitely call mazda and drop some names, Mazda seems like the most performance minded and race encouraging car make I've ever seen. Especially if you are in mazdaspeed, I'm pretty sure they would expect you to modify suspension.

When your not moving yea, but once you are rolling it isn't much different. I depowered the rack in my Miata and it is fine. A friend of mine just took the belt for the pully off and his is just a easy while moving. Stationary is a different story as I said, but I am not stationary and turning much.

So called Mazda, they stated that since it it not a recall and only a TSB that the repair is left to the dealer to diagnose and come to terms for repair. Then I brought up that he just kept claiming that I voided my warranty and gave me the run around (due to know small part that I am only 21) he stated that any time non-Mazda parts are used they can have an altering effect on the vehicle. I said it was my understanding that hey had to prove that my modification caused the fault he said that was true, but then basically told me I need to try taking it back to the dealership and have them reproduce it in order to get it fixed.

So basically we all need to rally together and report complaints to NHTSA until its a recall, which it should be at this point.

Back