*** Everyone with steering clunk - read this ***

For what it's worth, I was positive the source of my problem was beyond my foot pedals, too! I took the diagram the service manager gave me and was under the car looking for the part. I even began to think that the diagram he gave me was for a different car. It took me a while to discover that the part he said was broken was under the dash. I swear, occasionally I can feel the clunk in the steering wheel as well as in the pedals.

Maybe there is an issue with the steering column (and grease) that if left unattended will cause damage to the part I'm talking about. I just don't know. I wanted to warn people on the forum so they could avoid this issue, or at least have it taken care of before their 36,000 warranty expired. It would be great if most of the people with the clunk had a less serious issue than I do, but it would also be great if enough people have the same issue that Mazda does a recall on the part (and I get my money back!).

My issue started as an occasional, very slight clunk (audible and transmitted through steering wheel) when pulling into the parking space at work, and eventually turned into a $1300 out of pocket expense. I wasn't too concerned about it to begin with, but once people on the forum reported something similar, I was excited that someone might find the source and fix for the issue. As it would turn out, putting this particular issue on the back burner didn't work in my favor, and now I'm faced with a car that needs to be fixed in the next 10 days, or I won't be able to legally drive it.

Is there any more information for that this Clunk is? like when does it happen? What are you doing when it happens. I don't hear anything in my car, but I would like to know that you have been noticing just so I can look out for it.

Lots of descriptions in this thread. I didn't want my findings to get lost in that thread, so I started this new one. If anyone has this same issue, I didn't want them to miss the information that was given to me.

Drop, thanks for this. I'll definitely be checking with my dealer for a TSB, and I'll let you guys know what I find out as well. No one wants to end up with a $1300 repair bill.

It's the rack for my wife's 2 , Mazda is doing the repair under warranty right now ;) My 2 will be next to be checked. I love forums lol saved me 1,300 $

I wonder if something was changed in the later model mazda 2's so far all the posts are from 2011 owners. I have a 2013 and so far so good :)

Well the only thing I can think of is that I never really turn the wheel all of the way. I just don't have a need to where I drive it. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I've been alot more concious about mine lately, and what i've noticed is just a SLIGHT bind in the first one or two tight maneuvers after the car has been sitting. I realized at this time it's not remotely worth the time to bring it in. If it gets worse before the warranty is up I may try bringing it in.

I've been alot more concious about mine lately, and what i've noticed is just a SLIGHT bind in the first one or two tight maneuvers after the car has been sitting. I realized at this time it's not remotely worth the time to bring it in. If it gets worse before the warranty is up I may try bringing it in.

Mine is in right now and I'm waiting to see if it has the same problem has my wife's 2011 Mazda2.

But I tell you , you guys should have been here to see the mech's face when he saw my 2, got in it and drove it lol it was priceless hi hi hi He looked like he was going "WTF"!

Anyone have updates? Mine has gotten worse. I can hear it accelerating out of 2nd on a turn. Need to stop putting it off.

so can you hear it if you are just sitting there and you go from full lock to full lock? I tried that today when I got to work and I only heard some small creeking close to full lock, but I figure it is just the spring on the coilovers twisting. I heard it on each end of the front of the car. Nothing from in front of me and from inside.

Also I just had another thought, for any of you who have had this replaced does it say how much the part costs? I am just wondering if I end up having an issue I end up not getting it covered under warranty, how much the parts would be for me to do it myself. I am not sure if that $1300 is mostly labor or not depending on how they do it.

I took it into service on friday and initially they "couldn't replicate the noise". I told them to quick turn the steering to left full lock and slowly return and you'll hear the noises. They called back and was able to faintly hear it. Service writer told me there is a TSB and ordered parts. I have to drop off again this week but it's covered under warranty.

The cause of my issue was the part under the dash, and not the steering rack. So, there could be different issues causing similar symptoms.

My invoice states -

Electric power steering gear is cutting out. Install SOP

E00 suspension and steering

30207 CP. $272.75
1 DRY1-32-150A SHAFT, ENGY. ABSORBER. $1114.00
Shop materials and waste. $12.00

So, the fix for my issue was about $275 labor and one expensive part.

Yea I tried to look it up during lunch and I found the same thing. The part itself was about 1200 from a dealer. Another thing that bugs me is that they are just replacing the part with another factory part. So if it gets replaced after 20K miles, it seems you would just be looking at possibly needing to replace it after another 20K.

I will listen to mine to day when I leave and see what I hear. I am pretty sure I just hear the springs on the coilovers.

Just got my car back and the clunking is gone.

Performed repair under TSB# 06-100/13 XXJ9KXRX RATTLENOISE FROM STEERING GEAR
35991 W
1 DFY-32-AB0 SHAFT, INTERMED.
1 DF95-32-110A GEAR, STEERING
FC: 8297
PART#: DF95-32-110A

10274 REMOVED AND REPLACED STEERONG RACK AND INTERMIATE SHAFT (SOP) FOR CLUNKING SOUND COMING FROM WHEEL WHEN TURNING BACK AND FORTH.

Hope this helps anyone else.

ok so just to let people know this ebay for the service manual really is what it says I just got it.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Anywho, I am going to take out the fuse for the power steering and see what happens. It is a 60 amp fuse which is pretty substantial. I will report what I find.

Back