Ever thought of pushing video into '13-'15 head unit via the NAV USB connector?

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
I was thinking more along the lines of pushing phone video into it. Nothing I plan to do but food for thought if someone wanted to view phone map data on their in-dash navigation or other phone related pieces.

http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/mazdacx5nav.pdf#_ga=1.89304988.644728734.1455059418

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-09%20at%203.20.23%20PM.png

My G35x has old school RCA connectors in armrest to connect external video sources to NAV unit.

EDIT: No idea if this is even possible via this USB port... it is probably only used for storage access via the SD card.

Last edited:
It's interesting the GPS antenna connects to the car-nav unit and not the head. That suggests that some kind of processing is done in there - could just be a GPS chip, sd reader and a usb interface. Perhaps the TomTom is set up to where it receives the GPS data over the same path as the map data from the card and every head unit has the TomTom software preloaded (likely).

Assuming the unit does the processing and the head is just a dumb terminal for it, you'd have to figure out the video protocol in use - video over USB is not terribly straightforward.

You could also force it through the backup camera screen. I'm not sure if the warnings and parking lines are applied by the headunit or if they are built into the camera though.

Would only have to diode isolate the reverse trigger and and separate the video signal from the camera to another rca input.

Is there detailed instructions on how to do something like that with the back up cam? I want to install a mirrorbox in my car somehow

You'd have to have detailed information on USB protocol to push video to the screen. I'm sure that's proprietary and not available.

You could find the video line from backup camera. It has to be standard composite video (yellow RCA). Install an infrared camera in the front grill and make a toggle switch under the dash to switch between backup camera and infrared camera. Punch in feature 92 on radio and presto you can see without headlights. Pull parking brake up one notch and your running lights turn off. Stealth mode.

Back