Epic tale of brakes, steering and a big thanks to FoMoCo for its quality parts....

the.jack

:
2010 HHR SS, performance package
Bought Centric rotors, Stoptech pads, slider pins, bushings, springs to do the brakes. The pads were quite low and the rotors were a bit grooved. I've done about a dozen brake jobs in my life so no big deal, right?

Started on the driver's front. Rotors were incredibly rusted to the hubs:
First I did some medium banging after a PB Blaster soak. No movement.
Then I used some big bolts I had lying around through the bracket mounting holes on the knuckle (i.e. not the bracket itself). Mushroomed the bolts. Still no movement.
Mounted my steering wheel puller to the bracket mounts and bought grade 8 bolts instead of using the smaller bolts that came with the puller. Stripped the 1.5" block and the center press bolt. No movement.
Went to town with a 4lbs mini sledge. Finally popped it off along with about 2 lbs of rust and dirt.
Mounted up the new pads, pins, spring clip and rotor. Turns out the knuckle mounts were bent so the bracket now impacted the rotor. That knuckle is ruined.
Figure "what the hell" might as well try the passenger side at this point. Soaked it again and went right to the mini sledge. Big mistake! Hamfisted and angry I knocked one of the mount ears clear off the knuckle. That much I'll take the blame for!
Put the old rotors and pads back on, loosely remounted the calipers, drove 10 mph to my local mechanic to get the knuckles replaced and finish the brake job I'd started. Stayed on the side of the country and county roads, using the trans and the rear brakes (which I never started) via e-brake to stop when I had to... Clunking the whole way (rotor kept slapping the caliper bracket).

Mechanic stated he'd never had brakes that difficult to remove - front passenger (the one I never loosened) and both rear. I live in the country with lots of trucks, very old to huge and new, lots of salt and sand, crappy winters and lots of rusty vehicles of all makes. It's saying something when he says that's the worst he's seen. To get the rotors off, he used one of those large three-claw pullers with arms 1"+ thick and a hydraulic press in the center. He said every single thing he went to change/remove was "a job". Nothing came smoothly or easily.
He couldn't get the bearings out safely. Those needed to be replaced.
He couldn't get the sensors out of the knuckles after soaking for about 36 hours despite multiple tries. Those needed to be replaced.
Miscellaneous bolts needed to be replaced as you'd expect at this point in the story.

Explain to me how a company that makes the Miata - the near-pinnacle of reliability and maintainability (I've owned two NBs, one I bought with nearly 90k mi!) - can produce something of such a weak constitution? I should mention it's an 08 with only 51k mi and during the winter I give it regular undercarriage washes.

I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee with 145k mi. When I purchased it with around 110, it still had the original rotors and drums, rusted and grooved. The calipers had phenolic pistons which were crumbling apart! I didn't know until I did a thorough inspection. New calipers (metal pistons this time), rear wheel cylinders, rotors, drums, pads and shoes and all the hardware bits, front and rear. The entire job was easier than the one front corner on the MZ5. I'm not saying the rotors and drums weren't sticky, but nothing like this. The rotor hats on the Cherokee are much deeper than the ones on the MZ5 and yet, rusted and old as they were, a few good smacks and they came off without damaging any of parts of the suspension or steering.

I noticed that some of the steering and brake components have a FoMoCo stamp on them. So who do I blame for the inferior product? FoMoCo for making it or Mazda for putting the junk on their vehicles?

If I had an inkling I'd have sold or traded it at a loss instead of doing a brake job that ends up costing over a grand.

Am I alone in this occurrence? I don't expect Mazda to recompense me, "old" cars are always a risk, but I feel this information should be passed on to owners, potential owners and to Mazda itself. I was considering a CX-5 if they decide to bring the diesel here with an available stick. But now I am hesitant to buy a newer Mazda product. Further I'm quite concerned when my wife's MS3 needs a brake job. Should she sell or trade it before it gets to that point (she only has 32k mi on it right now)?

I always by used and I don't expect anything to go perfectly by the book, but this is beyond and reasonable expectation of quality, especially considering mileage and age.

Preach on! I had a few hours yesterday and though I can squeeze in my brake job. Everything came off easily EXCEPT the rotors. Boy, are they RUSTED tight. My forearm is sore from whacking it with both a mallet and steel hammer and I have two sizable piles of rust/crust flakes. Heeding your forewarning, I tried using a scissor jack against a long 2x3 (piled on boxes to the right height/spacing) to push the rotors outward against each other but unfortunately I did not have a helping hand to hold the wood steady. I wish I had a helping hand to confirm if this would work.

Then I turned to the good ol’ infoweb and found a solution! So simple, kind makes you think –doh! Notice the irony in the video where it starts with a Big arse ‘Ford’ logo. Detroit iron FTL. Thing were probably different when steel actually came out of Pittsburg or US. Nowadays, you have no way of knowing the original of the raw material, most likley China for cheap processing. But I’m still blaming FoMoCo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs.

I need to get some properly sized nuts and bolts and will try this method once I get free time.

Then I turned to the good ol’ infoweb and found a solution! So simple, kind makes you think –doh! Notice the irony in the video where it starts with a Big arse ‘Ford’ logo. Detroit iron FTL. Thing were probably different when steel actually came out of Pittsburg or US. Nowadays, you have no way of knowing the original of the raw material, most likley China for cheap processing. But I’m still blaming FoMoCo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs.

I need to get some properly sized nuts and bolts and will try this method once I get free time.

I actually watched this before damage ensued with my job and there are two issues: 1) the bracket's bracket (the "ears" on the knuckle that hold the brake bracket) don't line up very well with an edge on the rotor. So you have to be very careful that you don't actually end up prying against the back of the hub; get the largest possible GRADE 8 bolt you can fit in there. 2) Even still the ears bent during this process; that is to say the rusted rotor was stronger than the fabricated metal of the knuckle assembly! I hope it works for you, but this method - which I have used successfully on other vehicles in the past - did not work for me. One of those very large three-fingered hub/puller claws is what my mechanic used (the center pressing bolt's shaft was around 1" in diameter!) and even then it was still a job.

So while I hope you do work it out, it sure sounds like where I was :(

I actually watched this before damage ensued with my job and there are two issues: 1) the bracket's bracket (the "ears" on the knuckle that hold the brake bracket) don't line up very well with an edge on the rotor. So you have to be very careful that you don't actually end up prying against the back of the hub; get the largest possible GRADE 8 bolt you can fit in there. 2) Even still the ears bent during this process; that is to say the rusted rotor was stronger than the fabricated metal of the knuckle assembly! I hope it works for you, but this method - which I have used successfully on other vehicles in the past - did not work for me. One of those very large three-fingered hub/puller claws is what my mechanic used (the center pressing bolt's shaft was around 1" in diameter!) and even then it was still a job.

So while I hope you do work it out, it sure sounds like where I was :(
I noticed the misalignment as well. I briefly tried with some nuts/bolt to get a feel and you are absolutely right in that it does not mate against the rotor surface. I need large grade 8 bolts and a smaller nut b/c the gap between the rotor and the ears is not very wide either (not like the video). I hope to push the bolts against an old (thin) brake pad or solid piece of steel.

Are you saying you tried this process and it bent the 'ears'?!?! Maybe this can be prevented 'somewhat' by adding washers.? Nonetheless, any deformation of the ear is highly undesirable...

Last edited:
Are you saying you tried this process and it bent the 'ears'?!?!

Yup :( I had some flat bar scrap hanging around and used that. I couldn't see or feel that the ears were bent until I started to put it all back together, ending up putting all the old stuff on back (the calipers only bolted loosely so the rotor wouldn't bind up) so I could limp it over to the shop.

It was at that point that I figured I'd try the second side just going whole hog on it with a BFH (or at least the BF hammer I had... Being only 4lbs) but in this wise move I wasn't being careful and clipped one of the ears, snapping it off. For that much I can't blame anyone but myself!

i had a similar issue with the front rotors on our 5. BFH and a heavy shoulder got them off... eventually.

i had a similar issue with the front rotors on our 5. BFH and a heavy shoulder got them off... eventually.

I don't mind having to beat on the car, especially in the Northeast where everything rusts, it's that the car couldn't take it!

i'm glad i splurged for the centric e-coated rotors as replacements. plus, i put a generous application of anti-seize at the interface. hopefully, that helps next time the brakes are due.

We've sent a man to the moon, made diamonds in 3 days, recreated the big bang. Yet we still can't find a safer, more efficient, way to keep roads dry. Really? Am I the only one who finds this stupid?

I don't mind having to beat on the car, especially in the Northeast where everything rusts, it's that the car couldn't take it!
+1 I am going to buy a bigger BFH as backup to the nut/washer/bolt on steel plate method. Slowly but surely, the impact and vibrations has to shift things. One way or another, it is coming off…

It does not help that my car spent its first 3 years in Hamptons, Long Island, which is notorious for salt abuse (so I'm told).

Something I learned a few years ago from my brother was to bang the rotors off by hitting them on the outward facing surface, near the outer edge, very hard. This "leverages" the rotor off, and gives you room to take a good swing. I spent an entire day trying to get a set off on my own a few years back, banging from the inside out, using heat, penetrant, etc.

My brother came over with a small sledge, stood next to the car with his back facing the car, raised the sledge, and swung it down backwards as if hitting a backwards croquet shot. BANG! BANG! Off popped rotor#1. Walked over to the other side: BANG! Off popped rotor#2.

What I learned was, don't waste your time banging inside out. Take a bigger swing from the outside and let the rotors rock/lever themselves off. I have since used this method successfully on my own, without my bro's help!

Yup your not going to break anything.

Something I learned a few years ago from my brother was to bang the rotors off by hitting them on the outward facing surface, near the outer edge, very hard. This "leverages" the rotor off, and gives you room to take a good swing. I spent an entire day trying to get a set off on my own a few years back, banging from the inside out, using heat, penetrant, etc.

My brother came over with a small sledge, stood next to the car with his back facing the car, raised the sledge, and swung it down backwards as if hitting a backwards croquet shot. BANG! BANG! Off popped rotor#1. Walked over to the other side: BANG! Off popped rotor#2.

What I learned was, don't waste your time banging inside out. Take a bigger swing from the outside and let the rotors rock/lever themselves off. I have since used this method successfully on my own, without my bro's help!

Used a 14 pound sledge, one swing right on the disc face, all four came off right away! Didn't know it was suposed to be difficult. OEM's going to the scrap heap any way.

I actually had several wheels stick to the rotors, trying to get my snow tires off. Good thing I haven't tried to get the rotors off yet... stupid salt. I like not sliding around in the winter, but I don't like how my cars end up dissolving before my eyes (and I can't get bolts off of it when I need to)

And now that I think of it, the Miata I had (a 91, that I kept until 2007 and put over 200K on it) I had to replace the rear calipers every 2-3 years because they'd get rusty and stick closed. The rotors for that were dirt cheap though, I think all 4 cost less than one of the rotors for my 5. SO Mazda parts are just as corrosion-prone as Ford ones here in "Salt Land".

I actually had several wheels stick to the rotors, trying to get my snow tires off. Good thing I haven't tried to get the rotors off yet... stupid salt. I like not sliding around in the winter, but I don't like how my cars end up dissolving before my eyes (and I can't get bolts off of it when I need to)

This is how my love of anti-seize started (especially copper)...I used to go through bottles of that stuff coating the rotor hats and hubs at every tire change and rotation.

Be sure, if you have problems removing them, to clean the mating surface very well. I'd use sand paper or something. There are numerous TSBs on other cars where the manufacturer advised dealers to first clean that surface instead of balancing or replacing parts. Just a tiny bit of space between the rotor and rust can cause substantial vibration. I always clean them regardless, but definitely do it if they're rusty.

The advice to hit it from the outside is very sound, at least to break it loose. Not sure if you can rely on that to get if off completely. Finally got a chance to work on the brakes yesterday and got both of them off. Took a few more swings than I anticipated but I only had a 4lb mini sledge. A 10+ pounder will quickly expedite the process. Now to finish my conversion but alas I didn't know how the MS3 pad clip goes on(hand) so had to stop, leave the car on jacks, and can't continue till Friday. I also spent a lot of time cleaning the surface area but that rust does NOT want to budge (gun).

funny, I live in the NE also and didn't have much trouble at all doing my brake job last year. IIRC, the front rotors had to be tapped a bit, but nothing troublesome. A LOT of rust came out of the rotors!
the only mistake I made was, I cleaned and greased the mating surfaces; afterwards, my brakes started 'clunking' while braking. I surmised it was because the rotor was slipping slightly on the hub.
I removed everything again, cleaned the grease off w/ brake cleaner, re-assembled, no more clunking.

I think the common theme is NY tend to use a lot more or different type of salt than PA -I've heard of this from various people. In Phila, aside from main HWYs, I wish we get more salt! Granted the last two winter hasn't been bad either -not like near great lakes and true NE'ers bad. I've never had trouble replacing rotors either until this car, which happen to come from NY. I certainly never needed a mini sledge and a standard rubber mallet has been enough!. The key is to whack at it front facing. Reason, you get a lot more power in your swing in a golf/batter stance vs hitting it backwards while lying on your back/side and trying to swing over your head -you really can't exert any power in this position. Even with a 4 lb mini sledge, I'd venture to say you will still have a tought time if you only hit it from the rear.

Also, ours are '08 so we have +1 year of salt and we don't know how well we maintain/use/abuse our cars during winter so it's not a straight comparison.

Last edited:
yes, our last few winters have been nothing to write about (we really didn't even have ANY winter last year!)
I'm very happy w/ the no-name ebay rotors and pads I put on, braking continues to be excellent, and the drilling just looks cool :)

Back