Engine upgrade question

jstasyszen

:
1991 Miata
My wife has a 1991 Miata with a 1.6L engine, we recently acquired two 1994 1.8L engines,both have a blown piston due to the original owners not understanding how to operate the turbo charger. I would like to pull the 1.6 and replace it with one of the 1.8 engines. Since I am new to Miata's I must ask "How difficult is this swap?" Are there any additional items that must be done to make the swap work such as replacing the computer? Of course I will rebuild the 1.8L before doing the swap. (Background) I work on motorcycles, have rebuilt/restored two Triumph Spitfires and perform all the maintenance on my Ranger pickup and other vehicles I have owned in the past. Thanks for any assistance!

Greettings.. The swap you are talking about is an everyday thing... I have a 1993 with a 1.8 engine and trans from a 1996 NB car. You need to visit Flying Miata and buy the kit.... there arere a few bits you must have to make it work...

^What he said. Quite common to do. Flyin' Miata is one of the best companies out there when it comes to knowledge and customer service for all things Miata. They've also gotten a lot more money than I ever expected to spend on my car because of this fact. I keep buying parts! Haha. Best of luck on your swap.

There is a whole forum dedicated to this swap over at Miata.net. Tons and tons of information there.

Back