Engine Torque Damper kit for MSP?

pomidor

Contributor
:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege
I've recently replaced my rear mount with a solid urethane one. I'm not enjoying the vibrations now, so I'd like to put the OEM mount back in and use an Engine Torque Damper to limit the engine movement. Ingalls makes these dampers, but they don't have a kit specifically for MSP.

Has anyone ever managed to custom fit an Ingalls one onto the MSP?

Are there any other engine damper kits available? I've come across an old thread here (started in 2006) mentioning one from Weapon-R, but it also says that these kits apparently don't last long (maybe they've gotten better since).

Any thought on this subject would be much appreciated.

tried weapon R engine damper?

I never have. I've never tried any engine damper before. I'm about to, and I want to find out what options I have.

'Weapon - R' seems to be the only one that I could find that has a direct fit for MSP. Like I said originally, there ware some concerns in the old thread I found that W-R ones don't last long. It is an old thread, perhaps W-R quality has improves since. It'd be nice to know what people's experiences are with W-R as of recently, or with another damper that can be customized to fit the MSP.

Anyone using an engine torque damper right now? Tell me what your experiences with it are like.

use weapon R , if it failed, ask for warranty or get something new to fit on the weapon R bracket. (just so u dont have to DIY ur own bracket)

use weapon R , if it failed, ask for warranty or get something new to fit on the weapon R bracket. (just so u dont have to DIY ur own bracket)

Exactly what I was thinking too. The down-side of this is that if W-R fails, getting a different damper, while still utilizing the W-R's bracket, will cost as much as the whole W-R kit itself.

One wonders if there is a way to buy only the W-R brackets, without the actual damper; one could then buy a different damper altogether to fit W-R bracket. One can wonder.

So far, it sounds like the W-R kit is the best option.

i think protege garage sell them for 170 free ship to usa, but not sure how much for canada

also get a quote for 2 shipped, i might be able to share the shipping with you if its cheaper.

if you find a better deal somewhere else, let me know too

i think protege garage sell them for 170 free ship to usa, but not sure how much for canada

also get a quote for 2 shipped, i might be able to share the shipping with you if its cheaper.

if you find a better deal somewhere else, let me know too

I didn't see your post until now. It would have been a good idea to share the shipping. Still, I ended up buying the unit about 3 hours before your post, so it was too late anyway.

I search for a best price for a while. I ended up buying it from e.b.a.y. after making an offer on a "buy now" item. At the end, it cost me $200 US shipped but we cut e.b.a.y out of the equation (I can tell you more about this if you PM me with your email address). Luckily, the customs did not ding me anything. $170 would have been better but every place I tried wanted silly shipping charges.

Normally I have US purchases shipped to someone in US I know. But the person won't be coming to Canada for 5 weeks form now, and I didn't want to wait that long. If you aren't in a rush, I could ask this person to bring the item over for you. The problem would be getting it from Kitchener to Scarborough, although my brother works somewhere Scarborough-ish (near Pickering, I think) once or twice a week, so you could pick it up from his work.

I'm installing the unit now. I'm going to be putting the OEM rear engine mount back on in a few days. I'm going to see if he Weapon-r + regular mount is good enough to limit engine movement and wheel hop with it. If it works. I'm done, if not, I might have someone retrofit a damper bracket of some sort to put another damper on the other side of the engine, so I might end up buying another damper anyway. We'll see.

In my experience, with combinations of

some mounts
dampners
mounts and dampners
all solid mounts

all mounts is the least vibration, and also the only cure for wheel hop.

weapon R make a newer version 418 named Neo TI (titanium damper?)

its about 50 more . not sure if thats a improved one or just mats and color

i might wait lil longer before i purchase one gotta spend lil more money to deal with the rusted underbody parts first

i got all 4 SU engine mounts, not installed yet... those mounting bolts are too rusty tight for me to handle...

gonna take them to the nearest shop to get installed. (maybe not rear mount, rear mount should be installed by the time i get a full intake manifold clean up or replacement)

weapon R make a newer version 418 named Neo TI (titanium damper?)

its about 50 more . not sure if thats a improved one or just mats and color

I asked a rep from Weapon-R about this few weeks ago. Here's what he said the difference between the two unis was:

"The 118 number is for a gunmetal color damper, and the 418 would be a NEO rainbow color damper
"

I installed the damper yesterday. It tends to rattle when the engine is running. Mind you, I still have the solid engine mount in the back, so the engine vibrates a lot and I'm sure it contributes to the damper rattling.

Anybody know if this rattling is normal for the Weapon-R damper?

Latest posts

Back