Engine swap, what else should I do...

Lonnzo79

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I have a 2003 Protege5 that I got for not a whole lot in the spring. About a couple months ago I got a little knock going from oil starvation. Only with a little bit of throttle at any speed or at above 3500rpm can hear it. Very distinct Rod knock noise.

I'm looking to do a swap with it, just the same Fs-de engine since all the other swaps seem to be complicated ie. Klze. The motor was replaced before I got it, it has about 200k miles on it, the body has 240k miles on it and still looks in really good shape. It still runs just fine but the ticking time bomb is coming. I only drive this car to work so it only gets about 4000 miles on it a year. I want the new Motor to last but a little power boost would be nice.

I looked last weekend and my driver's front rotor is grinding on the brake caliper and ringing the rotor so that needs fixed also once I figure out what's going on there.

What I want to know is what other parts should I change out while doing the motor? Is there any other choices that don't cost an arm, I'd like to keep the price of parts other than the used motor to under $1000. I just replaced the belts and alternator so I'll pull those off the old engine. I know I'll do the clutch too since I'm going to have it all separated anyway.

I have been thinking about the intake mod vtcs, but I'm not sure. I'm handy and can do any of the work myself. I just did the front bearings the other day with a 20 ton press I got.

Anyway any help would be appreciated, this will be my first engine swap so I'm wanting to be thorough but not overboard.

Last edited:
new rear mount if not all 4, rear main seal on engine, get flywheel machined for new clutch, swaybar bushes while engine is out.

Back