Engine swap? A nice idea

Equinox said:
what about the 1.8L Turbo 4cyl (BPturbo) w/approx 210 HP, from the 323 GTR, apparently it fit in the earlier gen pros, and the layout in the new pros is very similar, it would be very minimal on a modification standpoint to get it to work in our car.

btw, this is sold at corksport too.

Miata;)

I'm not concern about power anymore after installing a short ram filter setup, the speed now is decent. However, what bothers the most is lack of traction while cornering - it's sick! I basically have to wait for the car to be straight before hitting the gas pedal, otherwise one of the front tires will just spin like a b****. Very anoying...

My GTi 16v with a factory gearbox NEVER did this, no LSD or anything.

Any good aftermarket LSDs for our cars?

SilverP5Ghost said:
I still like the idea of swapping the 1.8 from the miata. VVT baby!

I guess you'd just bring along the transmission, driveshaft and rear differential with it?? A rear wheel drive P5 - Now THAT would be interesting!

Don

Dude imagine what kind of power you'd get out of the 2.3l after some boost. More displacement never hurts.

stupid question.

what exactly is the difference between the JDM 2.0 liter listed on cork sport and the 2.0 in the us pro5? that is a supposed difference of 40 horses between the 2. Anyone know?

The intake manifold, cams, ECU and compression. If you got the J-spec engine you still don't get much power though since you can't reprogram the ECu to match everything right.

I think we all agree that a turbo would be the best bang for the buck, but I don't think that is the point of the engine swap. Rather, it is the potiential of greater hp and torque gains. There is obviously a limit to the amount of power that can be generated from our little 2.0L engine. The question I guess is that after you install a turbo, after an upgraded ECU (whenever it comes out), after new injectors, fuel pump, cams, heads, exhaust manifold, etc, will the power be more than acceptable to satisfy even the hungryest of us out there. Or, do we need to pursue a new powerplant to supply the power we crave. New engine, turbo, whatever. What do you all say?

-me

The bigger problem is you would have to have a better transmission to even bother maxing out a turbo system. So if you were going for big numbers this cars drive drain just can't handle it.

FinalResort said:
this is a freaken 2 year old post WTC!!!!

Um, wouldn't that be 4 years?

On topic - how about a 1.3L rotary.
If anybody wants to try... I've got a '91... buy it and I'll throw in the whole car free.
my experience has been that, as suggested, once you get a bigger/higher HP motor, a matching tranny is needed or the original will not live long. Besides you want to keep all the gearing/power ratios lined up right too.

Back