Engine swap? A nice idea

SilverP5Ghost

:
2002.5 Mazda Protege5
So I'm sitting here thinking, besides a turbo, what kind of monster could we build with our MP5s? Our little 2.0l isn't much to look at but it certainly does the job. What about an engine swap? Would it work? Just wondering, but maybe the new 6 engine (yes, I know it is a Ford), or perhaps the engine from a Tribute? 3.0 V6 would be nice in our little rides. What do you all think? ;)

-Me

Mmmm, what about the 1.8l engine from the Miata? Variable Valve Timing would be nice and it is lighter. Plus, Flying Miata guys would dig it, no?

-Me

a v6 would be too heavy for our p5's then it would handle alot diff and you would need to upgrade your suspension to complete coilovers with atleast 16 way damping

so if u want an engine swap try an engine from a familia sport 20

that is the jdm protege 5

What are the specs on the Familia Sport 20? Also, I still like the idea of swapping the 1.8 from the miata. VVT baby!

-Me

Just strip and build the block. Then turbo like crazy, other then that
ROTARY!

crayz_d said:
I am seriously looking into the 2.3L engine. That would be sweet.

I wouldn't be looking into it too much. It would take too much money to make it feasable. You would have to reshape the firewall due to the exhaust ports being on the rear of the engine. Plus alot of other stuff.

The JDM engine makes the american one look like s***.

from corksport: "2.0L 4cyl (FS_ZE) w/approx 170HP In Stock "

pic

link2file.php3

what about the 1.8L Turbo 4cyl (BPturbo) w/approx 210 HP, from the 323 GTR, apparently it fit in the earlier gen pros, and the layout in the new pros is very similar, it would be very minimal on a modification standpoint to get it to work in our car.

btw, this is sold at corksport too.

I plan on putting alot of miles on my car over the next 4 years(becuase of college----> I have 8100 miles on i now. Got it on 12-01-02) so when do you think would be a good engine swap time.....and which one???

Last edited:
Buy a turbo kit

Why dont you just buy a TURBO KIT for the car.It will be cheaper than an engine swap in the long run and your car will probably be faster than all the other motors that have been mentioned above.Swapping a different motor into your car is going to throw off the dynamics of your car and prolly **** up the handling.Not to mention all the s*** you're going to hack up up to fit it in there. Plus lots of $$$$$$$ for all the custom crap you're gonna have fabricate to make it work.

If anything go for the FS-ZE swap. Pretty much a direct fit, you will just need the ECU ($$$$) for it to run to it's full potential.
Or if your feeling really Balzy and like spending alot go for the KL-ZE. That would probably throw off the handling the least of all the V6's.

Last edited:
To make the FS-ZE work you will need more than the ECU.You will also need the ZE wiring harness as its different from the US spec. The ECU will not work without the harness.YOU CAN get the motor to run but not at full potential without the harness and ECU.Trust me ive looked into this and it will cost you big bucks.We have OBD-2 they have OBD-1 i believe. Its gonna be a b**** and $$$$.Goodluck

Any v6 will not fit in our engine bay without lots of modification.
That pretty much goes for any four cylinder not built for our family of cars as well.

herarety said:
Any v6 will not fit in our engine bay without lots of modification.
That pretty much goes for any four cylinder not built for our family of cars as well.

The V6 out of the MX-3 would technically "fit", as would the KL-03 and KL-ZE. I wouldn't say LOTs of modification but it would be quite a bit.

Back