Engine problems?

Zhan

:
Titanium MSP, 94 Miata-R red
Okay I've been working on installing a JoeP MBC. When taking out the necessary rubber lines they were so crappy that they cracked and everything, and ended up breaking the T-connection. And I couldn't get the other rubber hoses off this broken T-connection because they were glued on, so I had to replace those also. So I ended up replacing about 3 hoses (intake manifold to T, T to BPV, T to MBC to wastegate)... but the thing is, the silicone hoses I had seem kinda narrow compared to the original ones. They're from Hosetechniques so they should be reputable. They fit fine, had to stretch them over the openings. But maybe this is the culprit of my problems as they aren't large enough for the vacuum?

Anyways, it kept on getting stuck at 7 psi. So I slowly and gradually turned up the boost and one time it suddenly ran all the way to 15 PSI! Turned it back down and it's stuck at 7 psi again but now I hear some problems. The "sucking" sound of the turbo spooling at like 5-8 VACUUM, rather than 0 boost. I hear a little small whining also. When I try to start moving the car from a stop there's tremendous bog and it almost stalls. And when I stop it at idle it really wants to stall as if it was venting BOV (which is where I thought it might be the vacuum line being too small for the BPV connection?).

Check the hoses while the car is running. Some silicone hoses will collapse after they get hot a few good times.Also check for vac leaks and kinked hoses. It should not make much difference that the I.D. of the hoses is a little smaller.

Also, it sounds like you may have the MBC installed backwards. Check to make sure that the line coming off of the tee is on the nipple that is straight across from the adjustment knob. This way when boost pressure is built up, it will push on the ball and compress the spring in the MBC allowing pressure through the side nipple to the WGA. I am assuming that you have one of the original Joe P's. Ifr it is the inline, just make sure it is not backwards.

I've been busy packing, but my Dad drove it around while I was sleeping and he said he didn't notice much difference, but the CEL light did come on. Thing is I don't recall hearing any sort of knock either.

I'm pretty sure the MBC is on straight, as it is accurate to your description. However, I don't understand why it suddenly jumped to 15 psi. Basically I was turnig the screw a little bit after flooring it a bit to see how high it was boosting, and it basically stayed stopped at 7 psi (stock I get 5.5). Suddenly this one time I get 15 psi (no fuel cut either, I think)... I turn it back and it's back stuck at 7 psi. I don't recall it moving any higher than 7 psi when I was adjusting it tighter, either. Perhaps a problem with the wastegate?

I think another cause of this problem could be a few days before this, when I first installed the MBC. I cracked the T-fitting and didn't notice, so I had been spiking to like 11 psi (one time a little past 12 where I did get fuel cut). Then yesterday I replaced the vacuum lines and the T-fitting and this whole thing happened.

Last edited:
Turns out the stalling problem was leaks in the BPV - intake connection... I had installed it half a year ago and had no problems, but I assume that when I boosted up to whatever high using the boost controller the leak was much more apparent. But I had stronger hose clamps on the connections and there was no more stalling issue.

However, I feel like I've lost power. I took off the MBC and I still feel the same thing. Well, from the bottom of first gear it feels fine, but then when I hit boost it feels like I'm not accelerating anymore. I'm thinking I have a hesitation issue and I'm going to reset the ECU next time I drive.

I reset the ECU this morning and felt no difference. I still feel almost 0 torque from 3-4k rpm onwards, as if the car was just spinning the tires while I was flooring it (except that the rpms don't shoot up... they go up slower than normal instead).

What else could the problem be? I'm thinking maybe the spark plugs are really fouled up, but I have no way of checking them right now. Or maybe one or more of the cylinders is messed up (I don't hear any knock though).

Mutmatt said:
well since you had a CEL... did you check that code to see what it was?
Yeah it was a CEL for "system too rich" that went away after the BPV hoses were tightened up with hose clamps. I had a 2 hour drive after that and the CEL never came back.

I haven't had time yet to look at the car some more... but can anyone at least suggest why I feel nothing close to 160 lbft of torque when I'm at full boost?

Latest posts

Back