2017~2024 Engine Immobilizer Anti-Theft vs. Theft Deterrent System - Two Different Things?

This question is in referecne to the 2020 CX-5. My vehicle is a Touring with no options which has the keyless system/fob and manual liftgate.

In figuring out how the door locks work I took note of a section on page 3.15 of the manual entitled "(With theft-deterrent system"). This seems to indicate some models have that system and some don't. That is then confirmed futher down the page. Under that heading, or so it appears, is a subsection entitled "(Walk-away auto-lock function)" that appears to only come with the Theft Deterrent System.

My vehicle performs none of those walk-away functions. However, having already discovered the vehicle operating in ways not described in the manual, I figured I'd try to verify that I in fact do not have the Theft Deterrent System. Maybe I do have it with those functions turned off while the manual doesn't say how they were turned off or how to turn them back on.

So, I went to the Mazda USA web site and compared the trim lines to see which have the Theft Deterrent System. What I found was strange. On the trim line comparison page, all trim lines show "Engine Immobilizer Anti-Theft" as standard under "Safety and Security"; none mention any "Theft Deterrent System" as a trim upgrade. So I checked the packages and options on each trim--no mention of "Theft Deterrent System".

In short, that system doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in any of the descriptions of the any of the trim lines. Can somebody with knowledge of the subject explain what gives? I'd much appreciate that.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Engine Immobilizer Anti-Theft" is the system that reads the RFID in your keyfob, and will not allow you to start the car without a validated key.

"Theft Deterrent System" is an alarm that will go off if the car is broken into, or door opened without a key (and sometimes if the car is lfted/moved without a valid key).

As far as I know, all CX-5 models have the former and none have the latter (unless added aftermarket).

"Engine Immobilizer Anti-Theft" is the system that reads the RFID in your keyfob, and will not allow you to start the car without a validated key.

"Theft Deterrent System" is an alarm that will go off if the car is broken into, or door opened without a key (and sometimes if the car is lfted/moved without a valid key).

As far as I know, all CX-5 models have the former and none have the latter (unless added aftermarket).
I know how these systems work in general from other vehicles. Of course they could vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Starting on page 3-49 of the owners manual is a section entitled "Theft Deterrent System" with an "*" next to that title. At the bottom of the page the "*" footnote says, "Some models." That wouldn't be aftermarket in the usual sense of the term.

As I noted before, nowhere in the trim comparisons on the Mazda web site is it mentioned as part of any trim line and it is not included as an option (like navigation) for any trim line. From the web site you wouldn't know it exists, but there it is in the manual. If that's not enough, the walk-away locking function is dependent on having the Theft Deterent System per the manual which all but assures these are Mazda integrated systems.

Again, how do I know if I have it and it is just turned off if there's nothing that says which trim lines or option provides it?

Some Models covers the difference in different countries that may not be in US info.

Some Models covers the difference in different countries that may not be in US info.
That crossed my mind at one point. So maybe I should put the question a different way. "Does any U.S. buyer have the walk-away locking functions operating as described in the manual?" The manual indicates you would not have those functions unless you have the mystery Theft Deterent System.

Another way to go at is if any U.S. buyer were to roll down the driver's window, get out of the car and lock it, put the key fob out of range, then reach in the window and try to unlock it or open the door from inside, with honking and flashing that followed, that would be a good indication they have the Theft Deterrent System.

These steps would be indications the mystery system actually exists in the US.

My 2020 Touring doesn't do anything in that test which suggests I have either Theft Deterrent or the associated walk-away locking functions by extension. However, I may have those functions but they are turned off. This vehicle does a lot of things that you would never glean from the manual and switching off the system might be one of them.

Frankly, I have a hard time believing the Signature doesn't come with this system standard even if the web site says nothing about it. My antique and dearly departed-in-trade 2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan came standard with anti-theft that would do the squawking and honking as described above along with other stuff I wouldn't damage the car to test.

Frankly, I have a hard time believing the Signature doesn't come with this system standard even if the web site says nothing about it. My antique and dearly departed-in-trade 2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan came standard with anti-theft that would do the squawking and honking as described above along with other stuff I wouldn't damage the car to test.
Maybe Mazda knows something in 2020 that Honda didn't in 2006: those alarms do nothing to deter theft and only aggravate your neighbors ;)

Maybe Mazda knows something in 2020 that Honda didn't in 2006: those alarms do nothing to deter theft and only aggravate your neighbors ;)
I agree for my personal usage. My point isn't that I want one. I wouldn't buy a theft deterrent system as an option. However, If one was in the habit of locking up and walking away with a window open, one might want one. If that system was included and one had the option of turning it off, then everybody could be happy.

If there is one that comes with some US trim lines or as a Mazda dealer option, which nobody seems to be able to definitively answer while the manual implies it must exist if you have the walk-around locking function. Maybe I have it but it is turned off? From what I'm reading, having it off might be the best option if it is tied into door locking. Nonetheless, I'd want to know what I have and figure out how it works.

<Bang Head>
I guess I should take that as a "no". But that takes me back to the original question: the manual implies if you have the walk-away function you must have the Theft Deterrent System. If that's patently false I'd like to know. It wouldn't surprise me.

Having a similar issue with my 2020 CX-5 Signature. Trying to figure out if my US model should have a Theft Deterrent System. Tried locking and opening the door from the inside with key fob out of range and did nothing. Would like to know if that's how it should be or its off/not working properly.

Having a similar issue with my 2020 CX-5 Signature. Trying to figure out if my US model should have a Theft Deterrent System. Tried locking and opening the door from the inside with key fob out of range and did nothing. Would like to know if that's how it should be or its off/not working properly.
That's the Part 1 answer I was looking for, a strong indication you do not have the Theft Deterent System. And if you don't have it in your Sig I surely don't have it in my Touring. Thank you. I suppose we might both have it turned off, but that's a wildly unlikely coincidence. I don't know if you're disappointed or, like me, just wanting to know what you have and how things work before passing judgement. It's possible you have it turned off and I don't have it at all, but the evidence is mounting against.

That leaves Part 2, to belabor the point. Page 3-15 of the user manual has a heading, "(With theft-deterrent sysem)". Under that heading is a section entitled ("Walk-away auto lock function"). This is the only reference I've found to walk-away. This would imply that one needs theft-deterrence to have the walk-away function. From other comments that appears not to be the case. I'm sneaking up on the conclusion that either the manual is misleading (it wouldn't be the first time) or there is some other hidden section on walk-away unrelated to theft deterrence that is out of place in the 1,000 pages of this manual (it wouldn't be the first time for that either).

In 14 years with my Accord I only took note of the theft deterrent system once or twice. I smoke in my cars and then leave the driver's window down when I park in the garage to air it out a bit. I must have jostled the key fob and locked the door without knowing it. (Happens a lot with my Sienna). Then I walked back to get something out of the car without the key fob and reached in to unlock. It went nuts.

I'm pretty close to the limits of my curiosity on the matter at this point. Too many other things still to figure out.

I don't know if you're disappointed or, like me, just wanting to know what you have and how things work before passing judgement. It's possible you have it turned off and I don't have it at all, but the evidence is mounting against.

Both. But now that I learning to find out there is no alarm, I am more disappointed. Like you said, all my past cars had that deterrent you a referring to. Would of been nice if there was a warning if someone is breaking into this vehicle.

Both. But now that I learning to find out there is no alarm, I am more disappointed. Like you said, all my past cars had that deterrent you a referring to. Would of been nice if there was a warning if someone is breaking into this vehicle.
Yeah, I know. Just don't forget to close your windows lest something valuable disappears from the car. I also would be disappointed to not find it on the Signature. I didn't expect it on my Touring. That walk around locking business took me down this rabbit hole.

As for that part of my question, the walk-around locking function that requires the non-existant theft deterrent system according to the manual? You can turn that on or off under "Settings-Door Locks" on the touch screen. Mine was already set to "off" which suits me just fine.

I'm finding it pretty interesting that this dealer service loaner I bought with 4,000 miles had a lot of stuff already turned off and to my liking.

Don't mean to disappoint but the only real theft deterrent is a car insurance and garage, everything else is more of a money maker marketing in those ranges of cars. Alarms can be disabled, immobilizer reprogrammed, etc.

Don't mean to disappoint but the only real theft deterrent is a car insurance and garage, everything else is more of a money maker marketing in those ranges of cars. Alarms can be disabled, immobilizer reprogrammed, etc.
You're talking about professional thieves. Professional thieves can capture the signal off your key fob and replicate it.

A theft deterrent system might save you from having a smash-and-dash guy, or some knucklehead kid who sees a window open, from stealing stuff. The ruckess might get them moving before they get everything they came for. It is not totally useless as far as I'm concerned.

It's like anything else. What do you value and what are you willing to pay? You like a lower price point without it. OK. I'm kinda with you there depending on the price difference.

There's features in my vehicle I won't be using. I'd give that stuff back for a refund or trade for a TDS if that were possible. It sounds like you'd take $ or something in trade for the engine immobilizer. Stuff comes with the overall package. It's just surprising you wouldn't find TDS in a $40,000 package.

Cx5 front side windows are triplex. Good luck with smash and grab and they can't open from the rear door or glass. If one is worried too much, an alarm can be installed easily.

Are you thinking someone is using a rock / blunt object? Nah all the rage these days is ceramic.

Can't do that with Triplex.

As for car alarms, when did you see any opportunistic thief be put off by a car alarm? And when did you see a thief caught by one going off? You hear a car alarm going off in the street, you automatically assume it's a false alarm and ignore it. Useless.

As for car alarms, when did you see any opportunistic thief be put off by a car alarm? And when did you see a thief caught by one going off? You hear a car alarm going off in the street, you automatically assume it's a false alarm and ignore it. Useless.

This has been my experience as well. I can appreciate what an alarm is designed to do, the problem is that in many cases, it just doesn't.

IMO, a better theft deterrent system is the blinking "security" LED found on some cars, and usually installed with most aftermarket car alarms. A thief sees that and has to factor the potential of a loud alarm or an immobilizer into their decision to break in, similar to the way a Beware of Dog sign in the window of your house works. I wonder if this is what Mazda is describing when they mention the Theft Deterrent System? My CX-9 Sig does have a blinking red icon in the instrument cluster that is visible from outside of the driver's side window, but its a lot less obvious than the blinking LED you'd find installed on the steering column cover in an aftermarket alarm installation.

Can't do that with Triplex.

Ahh TIL

" The composition of the safe glass includes glass triplex. This glass is two sheets connected by a polymer film. In the production process, the components are connected under certain conditions, there is their "splicing" and formed a laminated glass with high impact resistance. To break such glass, the thief will need too much time. Besides, it's impossible to do it silently. Laminated glass is of varying thickness, from which it depends for its impact resistance. "

" Lamination itself does not enhance the glass strength, but when breaking, it remains unbroken, i.e. the glass fragments are kept by the film. "

so the side windows act like the front windshield .. got it.

in that case.. yeah I would change my approach to something more quiet.

Back