Engine Degreaser

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello!

I am planning on cleaning my 17GTs engine bay. I currently have 12k miles, so its not too nasty in there. However, can someone recommend a degreaser that isnt as nasty smelling as Gunk?

I would really appreciate all of your thoughts. I could just power wash it too.

I *hate* the smell of engine degreaser (like a combo of gas + burnt rubber + cheap plastic) and that headache inducing smell gets everywhere within your cabin and stays there for a couple of weeks. They also like to leave residue and streak marks if you aren't fully thorough either. Even with a pressure washer i couldn't get all of it out.

If you have the time and patience, my personal opinion is to take the time and with as little product as possible of maybe a bit of mild dish detergent + (VERY LITTLE) water, and give it a scrub using a tire scrubbber or something - avoiding the MAF sensor and other electronics. Then use a wet towel and wipe it up. After you get it clean, keep it clean. Every couple of months after I wash my car, i use the wet towel i used to dry my tires to wipe down my engine bay. Preventative cleaning is so much better than doing a full cleaning.

I highly doubt that your 2017 has any grease spots in the engine bay yet, probably just dusty? I like dish soap and water...

Here is a video of chrisfix doing an engine bay detail.

Last edited:
Yeah the cabin takes in some smell from the engine. I've used dawn soap in the past and brush some areas. Mainly though....a garden hose rinse and MF wipe down does the trick for me. Not a detail but clean enough for me.

Light spray, no engine cleaners...keep away from electronics...allow to air dry before running vehicle...

Ordinary APC (all purpose cleaner) should be more than adequate for that job at that mileage. It smells OK too.

Latest posts

Back