Elemental designs discussion '05

got wake? said:
i've got a later MKI. i hadn't heard about quality control issues with the newest ones, because they've only been out for a few weeks. i was contemplating putting a pair of the new ones in to replace my single 10. but it looks like i'll have to do some research about any issues before i go that route. granted, i know how many minute details can come up with a new product since it took a few months longer than expected for my company to ship initial orders, but once things level out, it's all good.

of course... and Brahmas are fantastic subs imo. they do just about everything well.

Scott D. said:
I know it's not the optimal setup, but it's been fine forever. I only have about 4 inches of it. Soon I will upgrade to Knu Kompressed 0/1.

1/0 is overkill for your setup a single main 4 gauge will do fine. However, so long as the amp can produce what it is specified to do, then the 8 guage will actauly be creating a resistance for the amp to overcome so you are risking the amps health and sacrificing perfomance. If you are going from a single input 4 guage to four 8 guage distroblock, then juat double up on the 8 gauge wires to that amp and you will be fine. If not then you can just get a 4 guage pass through / distro for a few bucks.

Well, I am going to be adding another 16ov2 IB, bringing my NINe.1 to 1 ohm. I am also adding NINe.2 + 6500's, so 0/1 will be perfect. I'm just thinking ahead. But thanks for the advice.

Scott D. said:
Well, I am going to be adding another 16ov2 IB, bringing my NINe.1 to 1 ohm. I am also adding NINe.2 + 6500's, so 0/1 will be perfect. I'm just thinking ahead. But thanks for the advice.

So what will be the final arrangement of amplifiers?

Maybe... I am actually not going to get another 16o. I was talking to Haibane from ICIX, and he kinda convinced me to keep the Arc... I hear it will run the 6500's very well. Supposedly it's underrated and it's a great amp... So I think i might keep it. So all I would be adding is a new set of 6500's. I've found a second-hand Eclipse 8443 for a great price that I'll probably pick up as well. I could really use the versatility of this deck. I'll probably do a run of 0ga regardless later on. I am contemplating getting a set of Eu-700's and going 3 way, but I doubt that will happen any time soon. If I do, I'll probablly get a NINe.4. If the 6500's don't go low enough for me, I'll get the 700's.

my experiences

Don't really want to contribute to another "bash ED" thread. But here are my experiences and opinions on past eD products, as well as current eD products.

Summary: subs & comps good, amps bad.

Subs:

Bought a new ED e10K.14 (2nd gen flatcone, not the old originals). Sub sounded fine, but needed to be ported. Ported in two different boxes. Overall, there was a certain peakiness about the sub that produced a frequency response that I didn't quite expect. So while I have no complaints about this sub, I think that the actual T/S specs didn't quite match the advertised specs. I sent 400-420W RMS to this sub and it held up no questions asked. Been using it myself for about 1-1.5 years, most of it spent in a 1cf @ 28hz ported box. I eventually sold this sub to a friend, as the ported box was too huge/heavy for my taste. The sub souds great in his Corolla, off 400W RMS. Overall, this was a good value sub, but poor for sealed. I am still suspicious that T/S specs were off, but I have no way to verify.

Bought a used ED e10O.14 (2nd gen flatcone). Love this sub. It doesn't get loud, but it gets way low for a sealed sub. Been running it off 400-420W RMS, in a 0.75cuft box. The sub is very musical, sounds clean, hits low. This is the sub that I'm sticking into my RX-8, going into a 10" fiberglass 0.8cuft box. Planning to send this sub 500W RMS, we'll see how it holds up.

I love the flatcone look. There's no label. It's just a black speaker.

Unfortunately, according to T/S params I've been looking at, the new eD lineup doesn't really have any speakers that are like the old O-series (i.e. low efficiency speakers for small sealed boxes). So overall, there isn't a compelling sub from eD right now for me, given my space and sound requirements. So I'm hoping that the 10O I have now will serve me well for a while.

Amps:

Tsunami DB-4400. Essentially an Avionixx amp, build by them. Failed twice due to components coming loose or something inside, sent to warranty twice. After it came back to me 2nd time, I decided not to risk it and switched to other amps. Overall, a bad experience. The Tsunami DB-4400 amp had pretty good sound quality, pretty neutral sounding. In contrast, a Scosche and a Pioneer amp that I ran (both rated higher in power than the Tsunami) sounded harsh... less clarity.

Anyway, I saw the pics of the new eD NINe amps and the chassis looks the same as the Tsunami DB-4400 amp. So I bet they are still built by the same people. Sure, maybe the internal components are different now, but I have too much of a bad taste left in my mouth after the Tsunami (Avionixx) amp, so I am not going to push my luck again.

Comps:

I purchased the pre-ordered eDi 6500s components, which ran me something like $240 shipped. The biggest problem w/ the pre-order set was that the crossovers had no tweeter attenuation. I could've used some -3db attenuation, since the tweets were mounted up high.

Compared to the CDT CL-61a's that I've had before, the eDi 6500s comps had quite a cleaner sound. Like I could hear the strum of an acoustic bass much better. Everything was less muted, more alive. A lot more midbass, whereas I thought CDT CL-61a's were quite lacking in midbass and sounded too "hollow" (I guess?)... they were actually a letdown from the paper stockers as far as the midbass to midrange balance went.

Midbass on the eDi 6500s was pretty good, and I was feeding them 120W each, but I ended up crossing them over at something like 100Hz, because I wanted more volume w/o the bass bottoming out. When I crossed them at 80Hz, rock and such sounded great (because of the kicks from the front), but the midbass in bass-heavy songs (like drum'n'bass and hip-hop) would break up at high volumes. The speakers got plenty loud, definitely as loud as I needed them to get (at that 100Hz crossover).

Would I buy the eDi 6500s again? (I gave them up w/ my trade-in) Maybe. I am now looking for speakers that can handle more midbass. And I don't want to buy another set of components again without listening to them.

The rest:

So about the only other products I've used directly/indirectly from eD has been sound deadening. eDead v3 (the blue liquid deadener) seemed good, but I didn't apply enough and so it helped, but not too much. eDead v2 (no longer on sale) had poor adhesive, but whatever ended up sticking in my doors improved the sound a bunch.

A friend of mine (w/ the Corolla) did his doors with eDead v1.SE to great results. That stuff was easy to cut and apply, stuck well and made an audible difference on the doors of the Corolla.

So I guess what I'm saying is that right now eD has no products, other than eDead v1.SE, that are compelling to me. But that's just me. My customer service interactions with them have generally been good, but not perfect.

The Tsunami amps were built by Tsunami.... they are similar, but not the same as the NINe.x amps. I've heard tons of bad stuff about Tsunami amps.

built by avionixx, Tsunami backed out on them and left them with a pile of extras... Why else were they initially shipped from, and sent back to avionixx for repair?

Last edited:
Back