Elemental designs discussion '05

Scott D.

:
1994 DX
Just stop worrying about your electrical system. I am running 4ga all the way back, split into 2 8ga. One is going to a NINe.1 (putting out around 1kw) and the other going to a ARC KAR 200.2 (70x2), and i'm fine. I did upgrade my battery ground, and that's all I had to do. I just added a short length of 2ga going from my battery ground --> chassis. I left the stock ground on there. I have no dimming at all, and I have a 65 amp alt.

I'd say work on some better front speakers. Pick up a decent set of 6.5" components, and an amp for them. If it means getting a lesser sub, I say do it. Why have such a kickass sub and some bad speakers? Ditch the rear fill, and focus on the front stage. Make sure to get either a sub that has pretty good upper end extension, or good midbass, so the bass will blend up front better. I had my 13kv2's playing up to 90hz, and my comps playing 70hz and up. Sounded amazing, everything blended well. Now my 16ov2 IB doesn't have the best upper end extension, but it still sounds great. I will keep reffering to elemental designs www.elementaldesigns.com because of their good recent track record. I have owned alot of their stuff (13kv2's, NINe.1, and 16ov2) and they are amazing woofers and amps for the price. Pretty soon I'm going to upgrade to their 6500 components along with a NINe.2, they are simply amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
ave youheard these "amazing" components firsthand? actually, have you compared them to other similarly priced options? Do you have ANY IDEA how they treat EVEN their fanboi's? I truely hope for you that your elemental stuff holds up and you never have to be on the ****** end of that deal. I can, however NOT in good conscience allow anyone to be sent their way because of anythign having to do with this forum.

what's RECENT history? has ben miraculously cleaned up his act in the past year? I once thought that as well, I even had cluse of his integrity, but I fell in with the ed herd nonetheless. He's been doing it forever, andI can't see any possibility of him coming around. I bet anything I can go find some instances of ben screwing more ppl over within the past couple of months. It's amazing what happens when you live outside of the elemental/icix bubble.

Poseur said:
ave youheard these "amazing" components firsthand? actually, have you compared them to other similarly priced options? Do you have ANY IDEA how they treat EVEN their fanboi's? I truely hope for you that your elemental stuff holds up and you never have to be on the ****** end of that deal. I can, however NOT in good conscience allow anyone to be sent their way because of anythign having to do with this forum.

what's RECENT history? has ben miraculously cleaned up his act in the past year? I once thought that as well, I even had cluse of his integrity, but I fell in with the ed herd nonetheless. He's been doing it forever, andI can't see any possibility of him coming around. I bet anything I can go find some instances of ben screwing more ppl over within the past couple of months. It's amazing what happens when you live outside of the elemental/icix bubble.

Yes asshat, I have heard the components. In comparison to mid-range focals, mid-range Rainbow, mid-range CDT's, and my low-end Oz's, they are the best set I've heard. The other comps I've heard were considerably more expensive. I'm not just blindingly reccommending things.

I'm not a ******* moron unlike some other people here when it comes to audio. I'm not like "OMG ben sez that like my k's have extra-linear exurzion so they are the best". I've listened to many different subs. And for a good mix of SPL and SQ (more focused on SQ), eD is the best i've heard so far, at a great price too. They stand behind their product (they didn't really before, but now they have amazing CS.) 100%. I haven't been ****** over. I don't really know anyone who has been ****** over by eD lately. They are evolving. They are changing the way they run things. They are stopping the pre-order bulls*** (and I agree, that was bulls***) where they take orders like 6 months ahead of scheduled production, and the production date keeps changing. eD is different than how they used to be.

They have a 3 year warranty system that is very slick. I blew my NINe.1 once (great, i'm not super bitter about it. s*** happens. It was the first production run), and all I had to do was ship it out. A week later, i had my NINe.1 back in my hands. Sure, it blew. But everything else has been solid. I don't consider it as "me being ****** over".

I've had friends with much worse problems with audio companies. For example, my friend bought a Pioneer 8600MP, and it stopped reading MP3's. He brought it in to Ultimate electronics, and they shipped it out to Pioneer. They told him he'd have it in 2-3 weeks. He got it back, exact same condition it was sent out in. He sent it back. Same thing. He was without a HU for 6 months because Pioneer kept ******* up. Should I start crapping on Pioneer? No. They make great products.

Sorry you got ****** over (how did you get ****** over??) and chill out and stop calling everyone fanboys. I'm not in a little ICIX/eD bubble... why the **** do you think i'm here? I go on all different kinds of forums, not preaching about eD, but making helpful recommendations because I love car audio. eD isn't the best company in the world, but it's a pretty ******* good one.

such hostility in the audio forums...jeez I thought prison got nasty...it's got nothing on this place man. Now all of you **** off and fight in your own god-damn thread. You can thread jack off there all you want. I appreciate the help I'm getting but the bitching is un-neccasary. SO do **** off. I don't care who did what, fight elsewhere.

Scott D. said:
Yes asshat, I have heard the components. In comparison to mid-range focals, mid-range Rainbow, mid-range CDT's, and my low-end Oz's, they are the best set I've heard. The other comps I've heard were considerably more expensive. I'm not just blindingly reccommending things.
I'm not a ******* moron unlike some other people here when it comes to audio. I'm not like "OMG ben sez that like my k's have extra-linear exurzion so they are the best". I've listened to many different subs. And for a good mix of SPL and SQ (more focused on SQ), eD is the best i've heard so far, at a great price too. They stand behind their product (they didn't really before, but now they have amazing CS.) 100%. I haven't been ****** over. I don't really know anyone who has been ****** over by eD lately. They are evolving. They are changing the way they run things. They are stopping the pre-order bulls*** (and I agree, that was bulls***) where they take orders like 6 months ahead of scheduled production, and the production date keeps changing. eD is different than how they used to be. They have a 3 year warranty system that is very slick. I blew my NINe.1 once (great, i'm not super bitter about it. s*** happens. It was the first production run), and all I had to do was ship it out. A week later, i had my NINe.1 back in my hands. Sure, it blew. But everything else has been solid. I don't consider it as "me being ****** over".
I've had friends with much worse problems with audio companies. For example, my friend bought a Pioneer 8600MP, and it stopped reading MP3's. He brought it in to Ultimate electronics, and they shipped it out to Pioneer. They told him he'd have it in 2-3 weeks. He got it back, exact same condition it was sent out in. He sent it back. Same thing. He was without a HU for 6 months because Pioneer kept ******* up. Should I start crapping on Pioneer? No. They make great products.
Sorry you got ****** over (how did you get ****** over??) and chill out and stop calling everyone fanboys. I'm not in a little ICIX/eD bubble... why the **** do you think i'm here? I go on all different kinds of forums, not preaching about eD, but making helpful recommendations because I love car audio. eD isn't the best company in the world, but it's a pretty ******* good one.

In the First place, name calling is a tad out of line, but whatever, I've been called much worse by people who own companies who peddle stereo gear. I called you a fanboi and that's the extent of it. if you take THATMUCH issue to that then you, sir fanboy should do some homework.

As far as what happened with me, It's bene drug around the net alot, but here's the condensed version. I waited for about 6months for their precious eDi speakers to come out. scraped together my hard earnedcash to plunk down on a pair. Thi sall just happened to go down a bit after the Bikeshop I'd managed had to file for bankruptcy, so the money was evenmore precious to me at this point. In late july after expected date of march, I finally got them. nobig deal there, but annoying all the same. All this while I was carefully getting my system ready for my precious speakers. I'd bridged my amp to get good power for them, but seeingas I wished to be on the safe side, and Ihad time on my hands, I took it in to the shop I now work at, and had the 20+yr installer help me meter my amp sothat it was putting out 120w. with a sinewave. crossed over at 24db/o at 80hz (actually 121w by the time you do the math)

So then finally the day arived, Like a kid at christmas,I get my precious gems, mount them right into my car that was waiting for them, and after about a half a day's worth of playing them, WHILE LISTENING TO THE SONG "FAST CAR" BY TRACY CHAPMAN AT 3/4 VOLUME, I hear a bunch of nasty noises and then nothing but highs. So I Immediately shutoff my car, carefuly checkout everything else there is to check, pull my speakers and findout they're fried.

At this point I figure, " hey, it'sa good thing they've got that awesome 3year warranty" So I callup, a bit bothered, but understanding that sometimes things slide, and this IS a first run production, and I got special pre-order pricing, so I reluctantly pay to ship them right back. even paid extra after I was told turnaround time would be a couple days max. after 2weeks worth of back and fourhting about how I must've just blown them, and not only denying warranty, but insulting me, a loyal customer who'd been shamelesly pimping their CRAP allover this site and others for a year... So I figure screw it, and postup about the experience on their website, and after an 18pagelong icix thread the, course of which involved actualy alot of informational discussion and likely ben learning a bit as well as myself, got permanantly deleted by mr milne, As well as him banning me form ICIX, I just turned to the hype that had spread all over the web. MANY experts, industry muckymucks, and previous associates come forward and state that firstoff ben's behavior is no real suprise to them, second, the pictures that were shown demonstrate something MUCH DIFFERENT than what elemental claimed was me "overpowering" my mids.

THIS IS ELEMENTAL DESIGN'S CUSTOMER SERVICE WHEN IT DOESN'T INVOLVE YOU PAYING MONEY. you're not only personally insulted, denied warranty on no real grounds, and essentially ****** out of the $300ish dollars of hard to spend money you just shelled out. Perhaps he has learned from my experience that it doesn't pay to **** over a good customer over a simple recone that would've cost him about $20. Hell, even assuming I WAS wrong and DID blow them up even intentiaonally, that's HORRIBLE business. And if he has learned this lesson, good, it's a lesson I'll continue to teach him. Upto and including the day where I publically deficate upon his car. SAY HE HAS CHANGED HIS WAYS, whoop de ******* doo, I have NEVER recieved any sort of apology, explanation for his behavior, replacement speakers, or found any other reason why I should EVER allow anyone to unknowingly fall into the same kind of bulls*** I once did. I say waht I say not to insult you, but to perhaps educate you, and if you're lost, no big deal, so you're mad at me, but I DO NOT want to see others go through this kind of bulls***.

Another note, he's done it all before as well, so don't think it's an isolated incident. I EVEN SAW IT COMING ANS STILL GAVE THEM BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT! http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69863&highlight=elemental

As far as sound, After all of what went on, I sweet talked to the guys at CDT and todl them of the ordeal, and of my general distrust for CDT now as well. I was told that elemental speakers are indeed their design ,but they wouldn't tell me who builds them. Eventually they very very kindly agreed to selling me a pretty heavily discounted pair of TRUE HD mids. (which an eD speaker is NOT) Firstoff, form the limited earful of my edi's, these are night and day different, MUCH cleaner and clearer, less muddied, and they actually CAN matchup to the wonderful 25mm silk dome tweeter. however compared with the range of other components out and around these days, I've found them to be a bit unrefined, While they play female vocals stunningly, they get Kind of "balmy" in the lower midrange. with Something like, say everlast's voice they just fall apart. this is what the elemental speakers would sound like if they were REAL cdt's and not a copy made by the lowest bidder. Compound that by whoever's putting their widgets together this month, and you've got a whole pile of scary.

The problem with many elemental fans is NOT them, personally. It's that they just truely don't know any better. You eve rhave that dream where you wonder "hey, what if I'm just the local retarded kid, and everyone just humors me and pretends I fit in" Well, in the audio world, it's TRUE. Believe me, I know it sucks t be laughed at, and I once stuck to my guns inspite of it as well, but I'm telling you, now as one who wound up on the short end of the stick...

oh, and as far as your amp, was it ed who dealt with taht or was it avionixx? I bet you anythign you sent it to a california address. I nearl yhave it memorized by now. Those guys are good about warranty turnaround, because i'm DAMN familair with thatone too. my first set of ed-bought amps went back no less than 3 times apiece in a year. Everytime, however, they were rightback in notime ready to fartout again.

Scott D. said:
I am running 4ga all the way back, split into 2 8ga. One is going to a NINe.1 (putting out around 1kw) and the other going to a ARC KAR 200.2 (70x2), and i'm fine.

An 8 guage wire can not sustain an amp drawing enough power to create 1kw with becomming a resistance. Get that amp a direct 4 guage conenctions.

pimpprotege69 said:
Once again, I've never had a problem with them, "YET"

i haven't had any problems driving through bad neighborhoods, yet. but i know people who have, so i avoid them. same thing with ED. enough people have gotten burned by them, so why not avoid them?

I bought my Sub like 3 years ago , hasn't failed yet. Would I buy a new one from them, most likely not now that I've heard such bad things.

I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole... I can discount a few bad experiences, but I hear about problems with eD at every turn, on every car audio forum, etc. etc. etc.

better just to do it right the first time, spend a little more money, and avoid the potential headache.

pimpprotege69 said:
I bought my Sub like 3 years ago , hasn't failed yet. Would I buy a new one from them, most likely not now that I've heard such bad things.

ya know, i talked my buddy into getting one. it failed in a few months. did ED replace it? yeah, but it took so damned long. he was without a sub for almost 6 months. when i sent in my brahma for a rebuild it was completely visible that i abused the hell out of that sub and i voided the warranty on several accounts. but it was still rebuilt under warranty and i got it back faster than my buddy had his ED sub replaced.

Yea my sub/grenade hasn't exploded yet either.. of course It's mostly siting around as a paperweight til I can either afford to burn it, or find someone to buy it.

got wake? said:
ya know, i talked my buddy into getting one. it failed in a few months. did ED replace it? yeah, but it took so damned long. he was without a sub for almost 6 months. when i sent in my brahma for a rebuild it was completely visible that i abused the hell out of that sub and i voided the warranty on several accounts. but it was still rebuilt under warranty and i got it back faster than my buddy had his ED sub replaced.
speaking of which is your Brahma a MKIII? I've heard that they've been having quality control issues with them lately... only the new ones.

1sty said:
An 8 guage wire can not sustain an amp drawing enough power to create 1kw with becomming a resistance. Get that amp a direct 4 guage conenctions.

I know it's not the optimal setup, but it's been fine forever. I only have about 4 inches of it. Soon I will upgrade to Knu Kompressed 0/1.

Poseur, Sorry you got ******. That sucks. I'd be pissed as well, i can totally see where you are coming from. Once again, all of this is in the PAST. I'm not saying eD has made a complete 180, but everyone that I've reffered them to has had nothing short of amazing experiences. Same goes for me.

When my NINe.1 fried, I sent it to eD. They told me it was a simple problem with one of the supports on the board giving out, and short-circuiting. I was a little suprised when he (I know it wasn't ben, but an employee) sort of shrugged it off like it was no big deal... Apparently only about 5 NINe.1's had been sent back at the time I shipped mine out.

There was a kid who was running 2 NINe.1's on 2 15AE's in a 98 Tacoma. His power shorted, and blew the amps. He admitted it was his fault, yet eD fixed them at no cost. Why they didn't do it for you, i have no idea.

When I am making all of these arguments, I am 100% aware of their past. I have read all these links before. Maybe I am in denial or something, but eD has been amazing to me. Great equipment, great prices, great warranty.

I've had friends with worse experiences with other brands, yet I will still recommend such brands. Every company can't have a 100% track record. I'm not condoning eD's actions. As a business owner, that is not the way to do things. But, many companies have done this. Ford did it with the Pinto (to a much higher extreme), but my family still has a Ford. (LINK)

I am getting really sick of defending my suggestions. People ask for help on a system, and I go and recommend something, and get s*** all over.

Poseur, was there a way you could have gotten legal advice? If you had proof you were giving it x wattage, and the coil fried, and it was under warranty, wouldn't that be illegal?

Bottom line: I agree, eD has a really shady past. But, they have been excellent to me and many other individuals in the past year. I think they are shaping up the way they do things.

I totaly hear where your coming from Scott, and its not on reputation that I have my problems with eD. Its on Design. eD doesn't really have any. There products which are supposeldy a superior product are not really deisgned per say. Hell you or I could make the same sub from the avialable parts catalogs. They buy a cone, a spider, a magnet, a coil, and a basket and then pay someone to glue it all together. So how can they have this radicly better product when they are just buying out of parts bins. Or in the case of there components, just replacing one driver for there own so that the original design is compromised?

The truth is that they really can't. Now this doesn't make them all that different from alot of typicly manufacturers. Anyone that saw an MB Quart or Xtant sub from 2 years ago will find eD's baskets very familiar as the other manufacturers where dipping into the same parts bin. Hell others where using the same build house to glue everything up. But atleast, the other big names tended ( I stress tend) to have some engineering mind behind their product. So by all accounts, an eD sub is most often a frankenstien of parts from other discontinued products. Otherwise they would have to spend the money for the tooling of the cones and the rest of the components and only a very small handful of manufacturers can actualy do that.

I'm not saying they are substandard but what they are is no different then the rest of the pack and they are certainly no match for half of the drivers they pretent to be a compeditor of. Add to that a history of F-ing over people when times get a little tough and you can see why Posuer, Wake, and Myself can not recommend them or leave a reccommendation of them unchallenged as we have this knowledge and a responsibility to our respective board members to share our thoughts experiences and feelings.

Since your stuff has been good to you, then we all hope it continues to do so. But while you have been fine with eD, we know too many others that have not and can not over look that do to recent trends. Hell do to delivery and past reliability issues I still do not feel safe suggesting Adire audio products. Even though I know they put real engineering behind them.

Party On
Craig

Last edited:
RyanJayG said:
speaking of which is your Brahma a MKIII? I've heard that they've been having quality control issues with them lately... only the new ones.

i've got a later MKI. i hadn't heard about quality control issues with the newest ones, because they've only been out for a few weeks. i was contemplating putting a pair of the new ones in to replace my single 10. but it looks like i'll have to do some research about any issues before i go that route. granted, i know how many minute details can come up with a new product since it took a few months longer than expected for my company to ship initial orders, but once things level out, it's all good.

Back